Surf rod advice?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf rod advice?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:20am
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ironically after spending years fishing off the rocks, from strayline to stickbaiting, after owning a couple kayak and after owning a boat... surfcasting feels like the final frontier.

Its time to the old fiberglass wet noodle of a rod.

So carbon rods are on the menu but aside from reading all the past forum threads there is not a heck of a lot info to compare modern rods.

Looking to spend up to 250 for rod or 400 as a combo, reel is not a must but i do need to upgrade eventually anyway.

From what i gather the Solaris II and the abu veritas rods would be safe bets.

-Okuma Solaris II 13'6" @ 170ish or as a combo with okuma 8k reel for 300
-Penn Prevail 14'6" @ 200
-Okuma Nanomatrix 14" @250 or as a combo with okuma trio rex surf reel for 400 on special currently
-Abu veritas @ around 250

What im after is advice from those of you who have had experience with above rods or something else you would reccomend, both okuma combo sets are good value but is the Nanomatrix/Veritas $100 better than the Solaris?

I will be hitting bayleys or 90 mile most times so distance would certainly help.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Cheers

Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:18am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have recently gone through this process always being a rock fisherman I looked into a surf rod combo I could use for both surf n rock.
Not an easy ask.
Ended up going with a Lox Iridium 13’ paired with the new big bait runner.
The rod is a bit outside your budget.
For the money the finish and performance of this rod is outstanding.
If you are going 90 mile the extra length of the 14’ + rods maybe of benefit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 1:25pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a Solaris I bought 12+ years ago at Fish City in Hamilton. Made of IM6 graphite. Must still make it, but I presume mine is Mark I and it's maybe been upgraded a bit. It was a combo with an 8000 size Okuma reel. I didn't like reel (seemed to be a boat reel chucked on the combo) so put my older Daiwa Long Cast reel designed for surfcasting on it and have had some memorable missions off the sand.
The Okuma rod has handled some giant stingrays at Raglan harbour entrance and up in a Northland harbour, and some decent snapper at various places. Has stood up to being accidentally dropped on rocks etc. 
I can cast a fair distance using normal method (not the pendulum and all the other long distance tricks). I've always used mono main line, but I understand braid is the go these days - for distance, lack of stretch etc. I guess that may wear standard guides more than mono, though.
I recommend the Solaris as value for money, for sure. And I'm sure Okuma's reel technology has improved in the past 12 or so years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks JAC and TTK,

That Lox rod looks really nice. I do not really have a budget, more that i would rather spend less as i'll probably only use it for trips up north or when the weathers a bit too average for yak fishing. Im more just after something decent while not paying 100 or 200 more for possibly only 5m extra distance.

TTK as far as i gather its the same blank just cosmetically different plus more modern braid friendly guides.

Cheers   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:42pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out my Anyfish Anywhere rod in the buy and sell section.....
Otherwise you get what you pay for and I can reccomend the nano matrix along with an Okuma 8k for value for money, a set that sells very well with little to no issues. (Yes I work for them now and usually wouldn't comment because of this but also have a rod to sell so I can replace it! Haha)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:37pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I own the Veritas 14.6 and nanomatrix 14 foot. The nanomatrix is a way nicer rod overall imo. It's lighter, has waaaaay better bite sensitivity and is more fun fighting fish. The Veritas casts maybe 5 10m further but it's heavy, has terrible bite sensitivity and barely bends without a real good fish on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:12am
Platinum
Platinum

Oh man that AFAW rod is tempting but i reckon as an amateur i'd probably struggle to load it properly. maybe if it were the 4 and bait! Appreciate the honesty deacs 

TTM thanks, good to hear from someone who has used both, good points. 

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:02am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi LTS,

Just out of interest seen this on YouTube by another forum member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5yKplY3co&feature=share
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:04pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I bought an Okuma Solaris 13'6" rod and Okuma 8K reel during lockdown.  Still getting used to it.  The rod is very light and is pretty fast and stiff with a 4oz weight, but does cast a long way.  Very happy with the purchase but need to make time for surfcasting before I can really rate it properly, with the temptation of boat fishing being too much now that Level 2 has come in.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Craigo 90 mile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:44pm
Craigo 90 mile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Howdy all. New member. Fish the 90 mile regularly. Use a diawa sandstorm. With braid. Great combo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:10am
Platinum
Platinum

MMM I sure am struggling to go past the solaris 8k combo for the price point. 

Perhaps its worth seeing what pops up on trademe over the next few months but ive got an itchy trigger finger!