tapered leaders

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tapered leaders
    Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:10am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

very novice salt fly fisherman here. my understanding is that with tapered leaders it rolls/turns/places your fly better? in my short experience it seems to. my rudimentary set up is about 1m 30lb fluoro spider hitch to form double then 16lb fluoro tied into the double.

How are you guys tapering your leaders? if at all?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:42am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes you are correct it does turn fly over better allows for better presentation and easier into head wind. You could have more graduations in yr line say 30lb to 20lb to 16lb.
I was taught by legendary bonefish guide to use the “slim beauty knot”for your joining knots.
I’m sure others can add to this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No. Tapered leaders are not needed for most salt fly fishing situations. Maybe for presenting a krill fly to surface feeding trevally or a tiny clouser to a flounder in six inches of water. Anywhere you're hoping for a delicate presentation.

However, I do have a bunch of them in my bag. They're mostly leftovers from past tropical trips. I carry them to make leader changes whilst wading easier. Bonefish can easily scratch up a leader by dragging it across coral. Looping on another ready made tapered leader straight out of its packet is a lot easier than trying to make up your own when standing thigh deep in water a long way from dry land.

Most of the time these days I have a one metre top section of 40 to 60 lb suffix mono joined to a one metre tippet of 20 or 25 lb fluorocarbon. I'll add another two foot of lighter fluorocarbon on to the end of this if I think the fishing situation warrants it. I use slim beauty knots throughout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:01pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks, good info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 4:56pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I make hand furled tapered learders of 2 to 3 feet and leave them permanently on my floating lines. Normally out of 30lb nylon. It and a taper and acts as a shock absorber.

A bit more detail that may be useful in general here: https://youtu.be/9IFhpR7JQ-U
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:06pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yup I use twisted leaders most of the time for local stuff, or tapered leaders when chasing bones. And who knows when we can Do that again.Sleepy
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:08am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I make up tapered leaders for flats fishing generally using the same formula as this article recommends. Active Angling

I haven’t tried using slim beauty knots.

I assume you don’t double over the thinner Mono like you do with the slim beauty when using it to join braid to mono. Is this correct?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:30am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No, I don't double the smaller side. I regularly drop down by a factor of three (ie 60lb to 20lb) with no problems. It is a remarkably strong knot. When snagged the leader often breaks at the hook, not the connecting knot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:06am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks. I’ll give the knot a try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:15am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

@snuffit, hopefully soon M8, the cooks are keen to catch on to the bubble. They need it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:00am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

added question, any issue going from mono (i like the stretch) to fluoro tippet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:22am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I've had no issues going from a heavier mono top section to a lighter tippet section. Connection seems very strong and the knot is easier to tie than when using a fluorocarbon top section.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Question on the fluorocarbon - what's the main or any benefit of it?  

I have moved away from it in both fresh and salt due (mainly) to the absurd cost of it and I have not noticed any difference in the amount of fish taken/lost. I am really wondering what I spent so much money on over the years.  It feels a bit like an expensive gimmick to me nowadays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 2:18pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

agreed just using whats on hand, i have 16lb left over from softbaiting days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sinks slightly faster, lays out straighter (ie less prone to kinks and twists), wind knots can be undone (most of the time) with no loss in breaking strain strength, more abrasion resistance and- supposedly- more invisible so less chance of spooking line-shy fish.

The advantages are small, but I like it, especially the better abrasion resistance.

It comes down to the same sort of theory that I have for imitation eyes glued onto dumbbell eyes on clousers- I do it because I know it won't catch me less fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:26pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha, well I guess fish eyes are a fair bit cheaper than decent FC so I will be sticking with nylon in that case, even if it might catch me less fish.  In the end I have found that the biggest thing I notice when others catch more fish than me consistently is that they are more skilled at it (better) than me.  I suspect better casting, retrieve, presentation etc. have a much greater influence on success so I will save the dollars for more fuel for the next trip LOL