Level 3 Land Based Auckland

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Level 3 Land Based Auckland
    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Let's make Tuesday 28th April Auckland Level 3 Land-Based Day?

My work has dried up and I'm gagging for some fishing.  Seems like travel within the region to get to a fishing spot is OK.  Any spots worth trying?  My last try off Orakei wharf a couple of months ago netted one piper, which went back down as a livie to try to catch a JD or kingy, but no bites.  I'm prepared to travel anywhere in Auckland (keeping it regional) and meet up with like minded stir-crazy fishos, keeping our distance.  Who wants another fisho ****ing in your pocket anyway?

Waitemata or Manukau Harbours preferred.

I wouldn't mind fishing all day, from 6:30 am to 8pm, so could move around a bit and try some different spots, maybe meet up with different groups?

Weather looks OK.  Overcast and possible light showers in the morning, and a fairly cool souwester gusting to 20 knots in the afternoon. 
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:55pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are you taking your buddy Mr RH with you Geoff?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:25pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a read on the auck yak forum mate

Also check out Narrowneck beach half tide down with a berley trail
Head around the cliffs, those sunken rock ledges that are fully covered over the high tide are exposed half tide down onwards, some of those rocks head out seawards quite a distance.... have seen fish come off them by rock fishos when paddling past on my kayak
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@13&key=%7Czs_F_ozi%60%40 click on sonar for better contoured map
Reckon it would be good Weds afternoon with the bottom of the tide just after change of light

A floating bait tied on with a cork float about a foot above the bait drifted around might do the trick, no good if the bloody molly hawks are around, but a good way to keep baits above the weedline
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone thought about off the rocks at wenderholm?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:08pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nope as only supposed to be fishing off the wharf or beaches. They’ve specifically said not to fish off the rocks...
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:56am
Gatt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not wishing to complicate guidelines but are reefs (covered at high tide) distinct from rocks? When I think of rocks, spots like Piha spring to mind.I was hoping to fish off the low reefs of East Coast Bays or do we have to find a sandy beach. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:21am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Can’t really give you an official answer on that is the guidelines detailed in https://covid19.govt.nz/assets/resources/COVID-19-Alert-Level-3-Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf don’t quite go to that level of detail

Just says “you should not fish off the rocks” so reasonably clear in that respect. Any argument of how you interpret that is probably up to you and whoever questions you, whether is be the authorities or joe public who may well see it differently.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:51am
Gatt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bloody Murphy`s Law. Been great weather for the most part for a while now, but moving to Level 3 the wind is turning South which Is not the best. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well it appears rocks are out, but I can see Gatt's point.  Maybe fish off a beach up current from from rocks or foul?

I've asked a mate who's a lure fishing guru for some info on the Manukau.  He catches mainly KY, but I'd settle for KY.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:34pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Often at change of light off the sand you still get snaps, mostly pickers in Nov and on the other side of Summer now, just as the waters at its warmest you get better fish, but imo a berley cage is a good idea on flat east coast, distance isnt a huge importance, change of light is. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:48pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Also remember they are asking you to keep it local

“You can visit a beach or park in your region, or local area if near a regional boundary – try to visit the closest one to home”

So please dont plan huge missions out of town. Maybe try fish your local (or not far from it) and you might learn something
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:47pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep, my bad there
Forgot about rock fishing all together, so disregard my suggestion above

Tamaki drive would be my choice then, outgoing tide on 1 of the 2 bridges that flow back into the Waitemata, unless that is regarded as rocks as well, then maybe a spear at flounder might be the go half tide up on the mud flats around mechanics bay, off Westmere/Meola reef or on the Manukau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Also remember they are asking you to keep it local

“You can visit a beach or park in your region, or local area if near a regional boundary – try to visit the closest one to home”

So please dont plan huge missions out of town. Maybe try fish your local (or not far from it) and you might learn something
You cannot done a suit and go for a dive according to rules
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wish me luck.

I have 3 very low probability spots/methods lined up and expect to post a pretty dismal report.  But I'll be out there and it beats working.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:11pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tight lines FQ, will think of you while I'm at work . Give us a blow by blow account to makes us feel better

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:14pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been stuck on deciding where to go so I decided I will keep it in the spirit of level 3 and keep it local. I will be fishing the nearest spot (or maybe spots) to my house and to make it super hard I am one of those silly saltwater fly fishing guys. I probably won't catch anything but I really don't care Big smile

Tight lines all that are venturing out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:00am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a good and well earned day out everyone. And F.Q full report of what you find please.Smile

Rocks. Dont worry about rocks. No matter where you go there will be no rocks, anywhere.
All surplus rocks are safely in the heads of those who made  these silly no fishing and no boat fishing rules.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:01am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Part 1 0530 to 8am at Orakei Wharf

Started slow with a couple of tiny jack macks but about 7am quite a few people caught snapper up to about 45cms and another guy got a JD.  I kept one snapper mid thirties, so have to put that down as better than expected.

Having a quick brekkie then off to the Manukau to throw some spinners around and maybe soak some bait too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:04am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was quick . Good stuff and better than expected. Hope the manukau goes well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:01am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Part 1 0530 to 8am at Orakei Wharf

Started slow with a couple of tiny jack macks but about 7am quite a few people caught snapper up to about 45cms and another guy got a JD.  I kept one snapper mid thirties, so have to put that down as better than expected.

Having a quick brekkie then off to the Manukau to throw some spinners around and maybe soak some bait too.
Do let us know if get stopped with your travelling?? suppose to within zone,to from/work They reckon more police checking. HaHa
Page  123>