Cutting necks!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting necks!
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:07am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, it hasn't got that bad in the MB household! 

I'm talking about cutting between the pelvic fins on snapper for gutting/gilling, the fish equivalent of the sternum. It can be quite tough on bigger fish. 

I don't use my filleting knife for this job. Scissors do a good job of the soft tissues, but struggle with the hard stuff. Secateurs are good at getting through the bone, but can't do soft tissues. I often end up using a large kitchen knife and brute force!

Any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:46am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Axe or electric knife
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We gut at sea.. Solid bait knives  with edge around 30deg.
 Cut lower gulls (bleed out)
 Slip knife in at poo hole slide up to the sternum.. The end of the knife Well up towards the top of the scull and  more lever thru the sternum than cut thru.
 Nic out the top gull attachment and the whole gut comes out.

Bait knives are pams $5 pairing knives.. and have a larger Pams (new world brand) smaller carving knife if more leverage is required.
 If using filleting knife, because levering thru rather than trying to slice , doesn't damage the working edge close to the knife handle.
 Also my Filleting knives , the Main blade part is honed to around 30 deg for hard work stuff, and from just before the end curve to the tip is around 22 deg, for more fine scalpel type cuts in skin and meat.

Tried the scettors.. needs a good pair , they get expensive and do not like salt..
 Same sort of goes with kitchen 'chicken bone scissors.. Cheaper will very soon snap.. the more expensive last longer and again prone to rust and loose the cutting edge very quick..

Went back to pams knives  few yrs back now.. quick sharpen and crc after ever trip... and are cheap if bounce out of the knife holders over board, each side of the bait board..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:55am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. I'm going to have a hunt round the house for an old, robust knife that I can sharpen up for this job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:23am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I hadn't gutted fish for a long time until recently. when I gutted a few whole fish a few months back I figured there had to be a better way. Use to do as steps described but getting the gills out was tiresome. What I have done with the last 6 or so fish is to cut through the gill slit as per normal. Then where the gills connect up by the throat of the fish I cut through that. Makes it easy to then rip them out and the gut mostly comes with it. I'll be doing a few more that way as I have been giving away the frames and heads with gut and gills attached and I think I can be kinder. I use a small not so flexible knife - one of those little Wasabi knives you see for $10 on tackle shop counters. I think the key to doing this right is a small sharp rigid knife.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:54am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm in the same boat. This is for freefishheads, yeah, I know, I'm a saint Evil Smile

I do the same, pull on the gills and the gut comes out in one piece more or less. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gill slit as per normal. Then where the gills connect up by the throat of the fish I cut through that. Makes it easy to then rip them out and the gut mostly comes with it.

Yep far better described than what I did.
Usually the top gill doesnt cut as easy.. need that sharp scalpel knife edge on the top end of the knife.
 If at least cut cut most of it, fore finger around the top of the gill,middle a finger down the throat into stomach  and rest of the fingers sort of go around the gut as it comes out, all comes out quite clean.
 Never assume the fish is 'dead' when rinsing the gut over the side of the boat..
 Everyone sometime will loose a nice fish in its last throws of a flap....once
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:36am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Arguably the "proper" tool for the job would be a Deba. Japanese fish knife. Looks like a chef's knife but usually has a single edge, and the spine is close to 10mm thick at the bolster so it has some real heft. Fillet with the front half of the knife, use the grunty heel for chopping through boney bits. Japanese use them for "breaking down" a fish as opposed to just filleting them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep pretty much like a pams carving knife for bigger fish  and the paring knife for bait and smaller fish.. snaps to about 45cm.
 The "grunty heel" is a good description.. with 30 deg edge

And not $100 to bounce of the bait board on a unexpected wave..Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:58am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about something serrated to "saw" through the bone. Something that won't need sharpening?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah I tried that once a bread knife.. got thrown aside before even got thru the breast bone.
 A good solid knife.. long enough to put thru the poo hole, edge side up.. slide to the breast bone with the tip right up on the skull, and simply lift hard.. the blade is at a steep angle to the breast bone, so as lift it 'slides' down the blade.
 Bigger fish bigger knife.. mainly so can get the distance from bottom of breast bone to the skull.

Sharpening .. well dont have to be too fussy.. the 30 deg means edge doesnt break off easy.
Its like going to cut gum or manuka with a chainsaw, steep 30 deg for the hard wood...pine 22 deg.. If use 22 deg then the blade will only last a couple cuts on the hard wood.
 If use the 30 deg on the pine , takes smaller cuts and therefore goes thru the log a little slower.

On a cheap knife its not worth the time or effort to use a stone or strop.. a drag thru is all you need.. and maybe finish with  a roller ceramic if fussy..
 The saw edge..

Well you are onto something there as well.
 These cheap stainless , sort stay sharp knives do so because of the cheap stainless where the carbon and impurity crystals in the alloy are larger than normal.
 On a microscopic level , as you use the edge, these fall out of the edge making it serrated.. and when they fall out they leave broken  glass like serrated edge, which is like a microscopic saw.

I dont use these knives for filleting unless filleting a KY or something for bait on the bait board.
 My good knives are left at home stored in a block.. 2 for visitors , my 2 for me only.. and the cast cleaver for what ever

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah.. got to give it a go to find out.
 If doesnt work a job around the hose will come up and will be useful.. even if 10 yrs from now  Wink

Recon needs to be a good solid blade with weight and good handle  that doesnt bend regardless what the blade is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still reckon try the wifes electric knife,cuts through necks,bones,easilyWink Just dont use her blender to make berley.Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After a few threads a while ago about knife sharpening I bought a Lansky sharpener about a month ago. Now with time on my hands, I've worked my way through the kitchen knives. It took a bit of practice but I'm finally able put a decent edge on them. Worth the money in my opinion.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 12:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PJC - I'm sure you're right, but we don't have an electric knife and I don't want to buy one for this one purpose.

kitno - Knife sharpening! I've found the holy grail after years of trying different things and that's the Warthog system. If the Lansky works for you, that's awesome. I got OK results, but didn't enjoy using it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 1:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mb have tried using the wifes electric beater to remove scales??Thats fun as well.
The electric knife was $5 at an op shop.amazing what you can find,but lockdown ruined that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 1:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, but the redneck in me wants to do this (2nd clip is more impressive). Hmmm, we do like skin-on snapper fillets!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 2:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only can imagine bruised flesh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 2:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True! Back to the drawing board...
Page  12>