Finally caught the elusive land-based Kingfish!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally caught the elusive land-based Kingfish!
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:03pm
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi team,

Since starting my fishing adventures in 2016, it has always been a dream to catch a Kingfish off the rocks for me. This Sunday I was finally able to do just that! 

My friends and I decided to do a trip to eastern Coro from Auckland and arrived late morning to buy bait and burley. We got to our first spot and found people on it. It was the same for spots number 2 and 3 so we were forced to try a new spot.

After some bush-whacking and hairy rock climbing, we landed on a great ledge with a strong current line just off the rocks. We couldn't believe our eyes! It looked like Kingfish country. 

We chucked the burley in and got a couple of livebait KY right away and off they went! About an hour later, I spotted a green-backed torpedo swimming right in front of my feet. A few minutes later I looked up from cutting up pilchard to see my rod buckling over and line peeling out. Cue massive panic and adrenaline rush - I jumped on the rod and fought what seemed to be quite a large fish. Sadly, the fish spat the hook after a short fight. 

After a few choice swear words, I caught another livebait and sent it out. I didn't think I'd be lucky enough for another strike so I decided to have a play with my new Baitrunner for some kahawai that was swimming in the burley trail. 

As soon as I started, I saw a large splash at my livebait balloon about 60-70 metres off shore and saw my rod, once again, buckling over. This time I was more focused so jumped on the rod and held on for dear life. The line was peeling off at an alarming rate but then it slowed down enough for me to bring back some line. 

I had the most fun and challenging fight of my entire fishing career trying to bring in this fish! There were many hairy moments when it got me into the rocks and when it tried to avoid our gaff man. All of this led to my first Kingfish being landed from the rocks! Measured in at 104cm, it was a healthy and fat fish.

I am beyond stoked - after so many kms of lugging around heavy burley/bait/tackle to all sorts of crazy spots in New Zealand, I finally got my Kingfish. 

I've always wanted to have a photo like this as well:

I was lucky enough to catch the entire fight (including my lost fish) on my GoPro if any of you are interested in watching: 

Cheers! On to the next goal: Kingfish on topwater Party
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:32pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great catch . Congratulations awesome effort and got the reward. Would have learned a hep as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:45pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always a buzz to get kingfish off the rocks, congrats on the first, cool vid but get a head mount so we can see the action better!LOL 
Good luck with the topwater goal!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:26pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done, sounds like you earnt it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice. A mate and I spent 2 or 3 years trying (we didn't try too hard hehe) to catch our first kingfish off the rocks. It's cool when it finally happens
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:56am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Congratulations mate and there is something special about first kingfish off the rocks!

Put my son on to his first on sat morning. Massive buzz!

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:20am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

great catch . Congratulations awesome effort and got the reward. Would have learned a hep as well!
Thanks mate! Definitely an awesome learning experience!
I also learned I need to go to the gym more LOL

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Well done, sounds like you earnt it!
Cheers Johnny!

Originally posted by deacs deacs wrote:

Always a buzz to get kingfish off the rocks, congrats on the first, cool vid but get a head mount so we can see the action better!LOL 
Good luck with the topwater goal!

Thanks mate! Funny you mention, I thought that as well and have just bought a head mount! If only one of my mates would get into filming as well LOL

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Nice. A mate and I spent 2 or 3 years trying (we didn't try too hard hehe) to catch our first kingfish off the rocks. It's cool when it finally happens

Cheers! I couldn't believe it actually happened to be honest - it took me about the same amount of time!

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Congratulations mate and there is something special about first kingfish off the rocks!

Put my son on to his first on sat morning. Massive buzz!

Thanks mate! Definitely a memory to cherish hahaha especially with the whole thing caught on vid to rewatch a thousand times over. Well done to your son! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That's epic!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

That's epic!!
Thanks mate! I'm lucky I caught it all on Gopro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:55pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well earned mate. That’s a great shot with the yellow tail sticking out of your back pack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:13pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Well earned mate. That’s a great shot with the yellow tail sticking out of your back pack.

Thanks Pico! I saw a photo by the NZLBG club a while back of 3 anglers with kingis poking out of their backpacks and ever since then, I've wanted a photo like that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote travjg123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:41pm
travjg123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice kingy mate.
where abouts in east coromandel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by travjg123 travjg123 wrote:

nice kingy mate.
where abouts in east coromandel?

Cheers mate I'll give you a PM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good **** mate. Congrats.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

Good **** mate. Congrats.

Cheers mate!