Bay of Islands illegal haul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bay of Islands illegal haul
    Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 12:19pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 1:58pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The haul was commercial in scale. The man had more than three times the daily limit of both flounder and oysters,'' Rudsdale said.

"On top of that, the man was fishing with a net that was 178 metres long. The maximum legal length for a flounder net is 60 metres. The way the oysters were packed in punnets and the length of the net indicate the illegal catch was destined for the commercial market.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:00pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now to watch and see what judge hands out a wet bus ticket??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Glad to see his black market operation is now closed. Angry
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:08pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I see offending at this level I wonder if it is really appropriate to prosecute the offender as a recreational fisher.  He was commercially harvesting the resource, and they seem pretty sure he was packaging the stuff to sell.  He should really be prosecuted as a commercial fisher would be for breaking the rules.  And Inland Revenue should be going through his accounts very carefully, then the Police should look at seizing property under the proceeds of crime act if he can't prove he earned it lawfully.

Just prosecuting him as a recreational fisher exceeding daily limits seems quite lenient.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:17pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spot on Kevin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:24pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It will be interesting to see what happens to this thieving scumbag. It's a commercial operation for sure. Probably one of many similar operations going on throughout New Zealand. When I see poaching, I pot them, and I go out of my way to do it. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

When I see offending at this level I wonder if it is really appropriate to prosecute the offender as a recreational fisher.  He was commercially harvesting the resource, and they seem pretty sure he was packaging the stuff to sell.  He should really be prosecuted as a commercial fisher would be for breaking the rules.  And Inland Revenue should be going through his accounts very carefully, then the Police should look at seizing property under the proceeds of crime act if he can't prove he earned it lawfully.

Just prosecuting him as a recreational fisher exceeding daily limits seems quite lenient.

Exactly..
Then there is provision for police to seize assets that MAY HAVE been obtained from illegal activity, then apply to the courts to have them confiscated...

A far easier , cheaper way to the taxpayer than a full on IRD investigation and prosecution..without the same requirement of proof.

I see they took his boat and few bits and pieces, assume under the fisheries legislation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well said Kevin.

Just burns my arse these buggers.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You have to laugh though. He was fishing at a commercial level the article says which is ok for a commercial fisherman so you can’t prosecute him as a commercial fisherman. He has to be prosecuted as a recreational fisherman for exceeding recreational rules obviously and yes it will be the usual wet bus ticket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should do like they do to drug dealers. Take all their assets which they have gained by way of illegal activity...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Should do like they do to drug dealers. Take all their assets which they have gained by way of illegal activity...

They will Morry, or at least this is the beginning, as to how much he gets prosecuted is up to our wet bus ticket judges...

Below from the new article above...

The man will face charges under the Fisheries Act and his boat, fishing nets and a vehicle have been seized.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:08pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah his dingy will be seized. That'll teach him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:23pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must be a larger boat to carry 160 odd mtrs of netting I'd think. What an arseholio. Wonder how long he has been raping it for,a long time I'd say.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 8:33pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just another self entitled asshole.I read on another site this has been going on for a while.obviously had a market for it.