CMap Embark: FREE Online Chart Tool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMap Embark: FREE Online Chart Tool
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:27am
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

I've recently started using the CMAP "Embark" app on mobile and computer and it's so handy I had to post about it!

In short, Embark is a FREE mapping tool, which you can use to create waypoints, plan routes and use as a tracking tool when you're out on the water.

I've been playing around with it by creating routes from the OBC and Half Moon Bay to a few popular fishing spots, to give me an idea of how long it will take to get there, so I can plan my day accordingly.

A few screenshots of my different routes are below. 

Embark App - OBC to Tiri
Route from OBC to Tiritiri Matangi Island

Embark App - Routes
A number of routes from the OBC and Half Moon Bay, to various fishing spots.

When you zoom in, the maps are reasonably detailed and have all the appropriate safety markings on them. See a screenshot below of the Noises in the Hauraki Gulf, and the channel between Great Barrier and Little Barrier.

The Noises as shown on Embark in a browser.

Detail in the channel between Great Barrier and Little Barrier.

TL;DR:
If you were ever out on the water and needed a back up map, this would be my go to.

While competitor, Navionics, has a good following of app users, at $24.99 to download I think a lot of people will be giving the Embark app a try first!
Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Give me navionics over Cmap any day..
 You pay for what you get.

Includes almost daily data updates of bathymetric detail.. and sync of settings routes tracks map settings etc, between smart phones , gps units , tablets etc... then throw in live weather, tide and currents.. anchorages and a lot of other stuff.
 Then able to put in boat details/ specs.. draft, cruise speeds, fuel usage.. custom colour depths.. and that still doesnt cover everything.
 For $24...$10 per yr there after.. near cost of one burley bomb

open cpn is as good as cmap.. latest LINZ maps.
 And there are several other similar programs available for both computer and smart phone/ tabs.

Sry , but I have spent a lot of time on maps, both marine and land based, including DoC, topos etc
 With the combination of garmin and navionics .. both at top of the game, and considering the low cost as an app..
 Check out NWIA maps now available to buy.. and still not up to date..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Robertc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:28am
Robertc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Navionics also has a free website for studying the bathametric charts and planning routes.