How I fillet my Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I fillet my Snapper
    Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 5:48pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heres a video showing the technique I use to fillet Snapper, this is what works best for me

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:12pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work, Coxie, glad to see you not cutting through the cavity (anyone who's not seen the Matt Watson vid on the bacteria counts should watch that). Pretty much exactly what I do, except the leaving attached bit before skinning (i just can't quite make that work). Between fish I wipe some water out of the slurry across the board.
And I also put a layer of paper towel down in the Sistema before placing the fillet.
I see you're also a fan of the Victory knives - good stuff. I must look up that model, mine is a narrower blade (got one in carbon steel, and one in stainless which I keep a bit more blunt for skinning the fillet).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:44am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty much how I do it, but I have found it's easier to fillet all the fish first, then skin the fillets, seems to be a better routine for some reason, also means if there are two of you, one can fillet and one can skin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:40am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Coxie. I watched that at 0400 this morning before my fishing trip, couldn't sleep! I will try your technique on the snapper I brought home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:31pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Tamure kid - I love that knife, and once I tried a wide blade I have not gone back to a thin blade.

Mightyboosh - I know exactly what you were going through! Quite often I will be up really late the night before fishing just because i'm too excited to sleep
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:42pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see the most essential item.... a beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Coxie, appreciate your how to's. Pretty much the same technique I use Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:17pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

The Tamure kid - I love that knife, and once I tried a wide blade I have not gone back to a thin blade.

I must try to pop in to the factory in Mt Wellington on a week day, they give you a great cash price (no EFTPOS or cards).
My dad knew E Goddard who was the man behind Victory, and Dad still has some knives Mr Goddard gave him donkeys years ago, which is cool. Sadly, two of the Goddards' sons died in a winter time boating tragedy off Howick when they were keen young fishos (one of their mates died too) in the '50s. Terrible as that was, it was the catalyst for the Coastguard station at Howick Beach, which has been going now for 60 years, so that was one good thing out of a very bad situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coxie - I used your method in part. Made the big cut behind the head (I have done this for trout and other species for many years, but not snapper). Then continued with my standard approach which is working up and down the spin from the recess at the dorsal fin. "Your" cut certainly made it easier to take the fillet off the ribs when everything else was done, so I'll add that to my repertoire. Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anothe great video

I like a deeper angled cut around the gill plate right up into that nice meat in the forehead.. rather than the straight cut.

Always had issues filleting around the rib cage...
Excellent view and show slow, of filleting over the ribs...  think solved my problem. 
Always thought was because I use a knife very similar to yours, rather than one of those thin flexible knives... which I dont like.
 Another plus.

Pin bones.. we have taken to making the 1st slice the full length of the fillet.. cutting in 1/2. the big bit is nice tidy for frying/ batter etc.. the small ideal for bites, stir frys , curries etc

I also fillet, but dont remove the 1st side...then do the 2nd. With the fillet removed on the 1st side , the fish bends when doing the 2nd and tend to leave more flesh on the frame.

And yes all my knives are mostly Goddards Green River high carbon steel from 60s/ early 70s and later Green rive high carbon SS  and a couple Victory... all great knives with beveled edges.
Something that is missing from the video.. sharp knife yes, quailty steel to hold the edge also a must.

I also have a SS stainless glove.. not for safety , but excellent to holding/ gripping the fish, skin etc.

And really need to upgrade your table..
An old SS kitchen bench (ex neighbours kitchen upgrade) ... in the shed with good lighting (espec for night and winter) and hose next to it for rinsing down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 1:00pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have heard of a few people who fillet one side then the other before detaching the 1st side, I have never heard of doing that before but may give it a go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 6:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How we fillet is an accumlation of over 50s.. from the old man in the 50s, ad a few tips from crew, including a couple crew from the forums here, a chef, and just having a play... and now your video here filleting away around the rib cage.
 Some work some dont, some have to drop because cant with a new technic cant do it.
 We gut before fish go in the bin, and snip the sharp points off the top and bottom fins.. clean bin , clean boards , clean fish, and dont get stabbed.Wink