Grunter Hunter 2018 - Event Date: 10 Jun 2018

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Grunter Hunter 2018
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The Counties Sport Fishing Club Grunter Hunter has been very well supported by you fullas here at the fishing.net.nz forums. So here's a bit of breaking news.

It has always been a self funding event, with ticket sales paying for the prizes. A little risky for the club with a cash prize of $2000 for the heaviest gurnard but due to the popularity of the event we haven't come unstuck yet Wink

We have a major sponsor this year and while details are yet to be finalised we may well be upping the first prize as well as extending the prize pool from 10th place to possibly as far as 20th.

As I said, details to follow but it's only going to be bigger and better.

Lock in June 10, the event is based at Te Toro on the western shores of the Manukau Harbour and it is (slightly) less than an hour's drive from Auckland's CBD.

I may even post up some Manukau Harbour gurnard fishing tips if I get a good response.

A chance of winning a few thousand dollars for catching a gurnard. Why wouldn't you?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:09pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should be back from Raro for this one Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:21pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will do my best to make the return visit this year Smudge, have a couple of WHK mates interested as well Thumbs UpBig smile

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Maybe we should go to your spots this time Skoti Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Will do my best to make the return visit this year Smudge, have a couple of WHK mates interested as well Thumbs UpBig smile

No one has won it twice yet Wayno Beer Some of us have never won it yet Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:09pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That will depend on the cross dresser border alert wouldn't Aunty LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

That will depend on the cross dresser border alert wouldn't Aunty LOL

We are all about diversity here at Te Toro Capt. Tagit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:13pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Smudge , umm I'm starting to get a bit worried about Capt Dave Tagit's obsession about Aunty Skotisha , should I call the cops ? ?

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hey Smudge , umm I'm starting to get a bit worried about Capt Dave Tagit's obsession about Aunty Skotisha , should I call the cops ? ?

Only if he gets handsy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:47am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll be there trying to catch one of these mythical creatures "The Gurnard"
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:55am
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hopefully back could be fixed by then, could be my comeback event. Look forward to it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 9:28am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those giant Gurnard won't be good for your back. Better leave the 80W's at home and just target the small ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by robdunk robdunk wrote:

Hopefully back could be fixed by then, could be my comeback event. Look forward to it!

Look forward to seeing you there Robdunk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I'll be there trying to catch one of these mythical creatures "The Gurnard"

Be great to catch up once again Kitno the Karrot Killer Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well the good news is the gurnard are starting to put on a strong showing. They have been elusive of late. In past years I have targeted gurnard right through the year with my best results coming from May onward.The last two seasons haven't been so kind even though I did get one (modest) monster just a touch over 1.4kg.  I put the poor showing down to my new found interest in harbour snapper, gurnard take 100% concentration LOL, that's a little sad really as I would rather catch a monster carrot than a monster snapper - in the harbour at least.

While we only caught 6 today the conditions weren't good at all. Dirty water, too much weed and a wind that kept us on our toes.

All that aside it is a promising start to 'gurnard season' as the water is still toasty warm. We need a good cold spell to really spark it up and that will happen between now and the Grunter Hunter.

Here's a fish or two from today. The young man with the big gurnard won first adult gurnard category on our Family Day comp is a friend of my youngest son Scott, who managed second. I didn't get anything big enough today but it's always a good reward just to put your crew onto some prizewinners. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a matter of interest to some, my father (aged 79yrs) has been catching a few gurnard of late off Clarke's Beach. 3-4 for a couple of hrs fishing. Snaps and ky in the bag also.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That local knowledge is so important eh Kitno. There's a very productive shallow water spot off Clark's Beach that I know of, was too rough to smash across to there for us today
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:15am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is there a tag and release section? Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:27am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Is there a tag and release section? Wink

Sure thing. If you win the T&R section you get to supply everyone with beer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:31am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shinal and I will be there and will sort out 1 or 2 others as well. We will make sure we do our hair before prize giving.
As Skoti may not be back by then, maybe you should make his spots well know to me so that the record breaker isnt left in the muddy cold water to suffer?
Page  123 5>