GPS problem / query on renewing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mezzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS problem / query on renewing
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
Mezzo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi have a lowrance 5150c Gps. The jolly screen won't light up and incredibly frustrating. Done all resets known, managed to in faintest of lights work through the menu to increase brightness w no joy.can anyone advise something else? Or do I give up ? Next step would be to replace it. Do these units all fit the same wiring and plugs, transducer etc? Seems excessive to replace everything. Currently in bay of islands. NO fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you come home in the dark.. turn the brightness right down . Get in and turned the unit off before increasing the brightness again?
 Now it appears as if it will not boot up?

It is hard to remember the sequence to press the buttons  to get to the brightness setting after booting..

If there is the slightest glimmer of brightness, put a blanket over your head, wrap up so no light gets in there is a good chance you have enough brightness to adjust it.

If too dark.. head to the local outlet.. or check the handbook. re boot and follow the brightness sequence once booted up.

1st time I did it though the unit was stuffed..
accidentally.. eventually got a bit of brightness...
 next time a coat over the head in the boat ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure about the Lowrance but some GPS etc units have a special driver board that drives the screen brightness and if these fail the screen goes dim. In most cases though it is often user error and you are stuck in night mode or on min brightness setting etc. There is a guy here in Auckland (York) who is very good at repairing marine electronics but often the units might not be worth the cost of repair. Not sure if he deals with Lowrance but just fixed a couple of Raymarine units for us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwibuoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
kiwibuoy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am having the same problem with my 5150c. Started flickering last time i was out, then yesterday it was very very dim.

Guess the backlight is toast, anyone know if they can be fixed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwibuoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:52pm
kiwibuoy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mezzo - did you have any luck getting your plotter sorted?