Coromandel Report

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coromandel Report
    Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:19am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No Coromandel report section so starting from scratch,
I recently posted my new Kayak (well used but good) in "Rigged Kayaks" section. With a bit of a break in the weather yesterday I decided to head out for a test run , might as well take a couple of rods.

I head out from Omaru Bay , short drive from Town. Just out from the bay , saw a few birds so headed in that direction. Birds were moving too fast for me so drifted where they had been , no fish finder yet. Managed a few nice snapper and kawhai on 20g Kaveman jig. Cool fun on my new light slow jig rod , thanks Muppet. Managed a 4kg snapper on it this time .
Although the yak came well set up with running rig , upgraded seat and various rod holders , I now realised the importance of a sea anchor , not that I was able to reach the running rig clip that was secured at stern anyway. So made tracks for the closet island to make landfall to sort this out and bit of a stretch. Unclipped the running lanyard and moved to a reachable location. Found a plastic bottle some thoughtful person had thrown away. Sorted a makeshift sea anchor whilst putting the offcut and two smaller plastic bottles in my front hatch for the recycle man . 

Even found a handy spot to stow it.

Did a bit more snooping around , with softball this time as fairly shallow and foul. Got another snapper and a few good sized kawhai , one being a horse which gave me a good fight on light gear. Was bleed straight away , still weighed 3.7kg later that day. See photo

Headed back to base into bit of a headwind. Probably paddled far too much for a first outing , body a bit stiff todayLOL But all good. Probably do a bit more driving and less paddling next time , sorted a few things out. Definitely need the stringer system I have read of to put fish in bag behind me , not as bendy as I used to be.
Got smoker on for a full 6 hour session today , big snapper and some nice fat Kawhai. Great timing as heading out to my sons school later for parent thing so my koha will be well received.
have left Yak on roof , just in caseWink
Thanks to all those that contribute stuff on here , I have been lurking a while , so was able to be almost sorted without getting my feet wet.Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 5:48pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice effort coro and welcome to the yak family.....good to see muppet left some of his mojo in his gear....he has always been a jammy bas#@$ LOL......nice thinking with the sea anchor and doing your part for the environment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Approve Well done man nice to see a Coro section very jealous of all that coastline you got down there. I reckon I could thrash all my PB's within a few months fishing down there most weekends. Keep them coming corokid Thumbs Up Mojo is simply learning your spots too. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 9:18am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Corokid, thats a pretty successful first outing! certainly enough to give you the bug by the sound of it - especially from the comment about leaving the yak on the roof just in case! love it.
Definitely is a nice part of the world down there, we have a family batch at Waihi Beach, (which is only 'just' considered part of the Coromandel I guess), and love getting out there when we're down that way - and when the surf allows!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:11am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys , I went for a harbour paddle yesterday , managed a snapper and kawhai , some monster Kawhai around at present , this one had 4 full sized pillies in it's stomach. 
It was more about going for a paddle and fine tuning a few things. It was such a nice day to spend a few hours on the harbour , had to make the most of it as flying to Singapore for a few weeks from tomorrow , work related training so definitely not a holiday. Might have to visit the hotel gym a bitLOL 
Hopefully some other Coromandel Kayak fisherman can add something in the meantime. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:44pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice fish dave....hope everything is well over in the coro.....tried flicking a fly off it yet....looking at getting a fishing kayak aswell....mainly for access to rock but keen to try it for snaps aswell.....cheers craig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:02pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Craig ,
Just got back from Singapore so no fishing for a while. Actually got back a bit late to enter a local kayak fishing comp that Rob Fort had organised , did not know until my return. Will be keen to head out later in week for another paddle. Not to keen on SWF from yak  , maybe to access spots as you suggested. Stopped in to have a coffee with a mate the day I arrived home , spied a nice little camper trailer in the corner of his shed. He had it built in Aussie for off road trips , thought it would be perfect to set up as a dedicated kayak trailer , bit of a mission lifting the 4.7 on to land cruiser roof. A few mods to do but should work a treat. I did have to twist his arm a bit .Wink Photos still falling over sideways sorry.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:41pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great report Dave, you certainly like all forms of fishing. Well done mate
www.kavemantackle.co.nz