deepwater fishos

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: deepwater fishos
    Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 8:14pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

being a mad keen deepwater fisho (targeting bass, bns and puka) Ive often wondered why we dont have a specific section on this site for the exchange of ideas and the sharing of stories between deepwater fishos. i see gamefishing has its own section and reckon it'd be easier for folk looking for deepwater fishing info to also have one. currently i have to go hunting under area reports and all over the rest of the site if im looking for info. I hope this is seen as a constructive suggestion - and I look forward to your thoughts. Cheers, Davo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM Grunta Davo. I think it has some merit, but crosses over with the jigging stuff as well I guess. Just had a very nice session on some big Puka at a new spot I ran over and it reminded me that deep water is quite fun. Planning a long range day on our new charter boat with some friends to go hit it again quite soon so may even have my first proper Deep Water report to post rather than being an 'aside' to a days game fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:31pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Tagit, will do. It'd be great to have place to discuss rigging, techniques, setups and dare i say it...electric reels etc. There doesnt appear to be one consolidated place for it and it'd be good to have one rather than trawling through all the snapper, kingy etc reports
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:51pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't talk to me about electric reels. Boulder had one on our recent trip and I developed a severe case of lust. The bugger then left it behind on the boat for a couple of days just to tease me into thinking he had forgotten it Angry. Unfortunately his Alzheimers isn't as bad as his ciggy addiction and he came by to pick it up. More harvesting than fishing, but some serious advantages over a manual reel in terms of catching, plus you don't have to put down your beer or ciggy to wind them in. Now if they only had a gaffing and filleting function they would be perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 2:10pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Great idea Davo - a few ways we could do this - we can do a separate forum, a sub-forum or a pinned thread in another forum so would be good to hear some +'s and -'s on those options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:03am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Grunta, I reckon a seperate forum might be the go as per the squid fishing, and sport fishing sections. Perhaps we could then break it up into techniques, gear, tackle tips and reports? I know there's quite a bit of PMing going on about the use of sounders etc for deepwater fishing and what gear to use.  Given the price of sounders and deepwater gear (e.g. reels and rods), perhaps some of the manufacturers/distributors may be in sponsoring it if there's a cost to setting up a new forum? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 3:06pm
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Perhaps
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

there's hope in a perhaps! Smile

I suspect we aren't getting much feedback on this as its in the "forum feedback section" - and I know I dont normally look at stuff other than the forums I'm interested in e.g. Gamefishing, Boat forum (for hull and engine stuff), Welly fishing etc. It'd be cool to be able to tap into the collective wisdom of deepwater fishos around the country a bit more easily.