Drop-in Outrigger Bases Deforming

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drop-in Outrigger Bases Deforming
    Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is anyone having issues with their Drop-in outrigger bases twisting where they locate in the Rod holders? Mine appear to have Manta bases made from 1.5mm thick tubing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:43pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are you referring to these?

If you are putting outrigger poles in these I'm not surprised you're having issues.  They are designed as rod holder extensions and even in that capacity it would be unwise imo to exert a force on them of over 5kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those are strong . Not what I use though .. I use proper killwell drop in riggers  mine that are about 20 yrs old.. pretty soft rigger a lot didn’t like. They fit into solid stainless rod holders ( decking foam under them) which are real nicely set into alloy stabi gunwales. No issues and have set some 80w tiagras on riggers sometimes.  If drag too tight on a blue will shear bolts out of the alloy if drag is set too tight … but basically ok if set drag 5kg or less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 10:56am
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for replies. I have both those Heavy Duty Rod holder extensions and these Oceanblue outriggers. The drop/in SS bases are exact same unit for each. The outrigger fibreglass poles fit snugly into the SS tube. The roller trollers release the line upon a lure strike so the poles never take the fish’s weight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 3:37pm
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 4:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Here is a link to a website selling Manta products.

There is no mention of these rod holder extensions being used as outrigger bases.  Perhaps they are not fit for purpose when used as an outrigger base?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 5:07pm
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I find them here now on the Oceanblue website.    https://outriggers.co.nz/collections/outrigger-bases/products/drop-in-bases.

Can anyone tell me the tube thickness of the Kilwell drop-in SS outrigger bases please. They look similar.

Mine are also failing by crushing. ie the slot is being slotted sideways where the locating pin contacts the slot in the bases. 
The material is being crushed due to the load on it. They have done about 16 hrs trolling with 2 Marlin strikes. 

I am looking to find out if this is a common problem with these bases. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 10:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

It sounds like you have discovered that Manta rod holder extensions do not double well as drop-in outrigger bases, despite such claims by Oceanblue Outriggers.
I think I'd be having a chat with the store you purchased them from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:59pm
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have e-emailed Ocean blue. But if these are the only choice out there, I will just have to strengthen them myself. 
I am wondering why these fail so easy. Why they sell them like this? What am I missing?  I need other users comments.
thanks again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 3:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

The loads on the bases and rod holders are substantial. I never deploy the outriggers to the extended wide position until I reach the area plan to fish.  Either that or keep them vertical and restrained while cruising (not trolling).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:28pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you should aslso be running a stay, that stops the forward backward loading at the base and saves distruction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buckaneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:01pm
Buckaneer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you, I have come to the conclusion a stay is a must. No stay connection points exist so more heavy cable ties I guess. No info on how to install/use them was provided and now no reply from Oceanblue about the twisting. I am also going to replace the base locating points with heavier tube cos they just too thin.ie. Cut off old /Weld on new part. These were really only ever designed to be Rod holder extensions, I think. Does anyone know if Kilwell drop-ins better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 8:42pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thought of installing an insert inside existing and then run a stay to bow.

I also had to drill out and replace locator pins as they bent on mine.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.