DIY Smoke Generator

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:52pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the tube part is just an ali tube i cut down. the brass fitting came from my spares box at work. you should be able to pick them up from most engineering shops. Blackwood paykels etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:57pm
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok thanks, Have had a look today at 6 different places with no luck. I was told to try Bunnings so might give that ago as I con only get there after work. Hoping to get it up and running before the weekend since the Mrs is going away I'm just going to smoke sh%t all weekendLOL
If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:08pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i will see what i have at work if no luck mate.

Otherwise i can grab you one from over the road and courier it to you. 

What size tube is it going into? my one was 40mm x 40mm square ali.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:18pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Auckland Engineering Supplies (AES) on Beaumont St in Westhaven have a huge range of fittings and will probably have something like you need. I can probably find you a short length of 1/4" copper tube if needed and we are just above AES. PM me if you want me to have a quick look in AES tomorrow for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 8:27am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Auckland Engineering Supplies (AES) on Beaumont St in Westhaven have a huge range of fittings and will probably have something like you need. I can probably find you a short length of 1/4" copper tube if needed and we are just above AES. PM me if you want me to have a quick look in AES tomorrow for you.
Originally posted by nvmyvl nvmyvl wrote:

i will see what i have at work if no luck mate.

Otherwise i can grab you one from over the road and courier it to you. 

What size tube is it going into? my one was 40mm x 40mm square ali.

Hi guys thanks for this generosity I might give it one more go at looking today and if no luck will have to take you up on the offer. Might be able to get off work at 4.30 to have a look see. Is it just the pipe I am using cause I have tried about 7 places in total now? I am using the generic pipe that comes with the fish air pump which I think is 4mm??? Not 100% on that though. The pump I bought is the Aqua One SR-9500.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:17am
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You will need to buy a hose barb to suit 6mm id hose. then use hot water to soften the hose and push it over. the hose will pop off cause of the heat made when it the smoker is alight if you use a smaller hose barb.

the ali tube i had was the nozzel off of an air duster gun i had lying about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:32am
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the tip nvmyvl. Would a trusty cabel tie help to stop it falling off? Sucks that I got a desk job and dont have those kind of things lying aroundAngry Might have to takew the case off a computer and see what I can salvage out of thereBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:26pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah a cable tie would work well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 9:05pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got to say I like the concept of a cold smoke generator and the ideas in this thread.

Got a pig (Mrs Piggy) down in the yards that we hope to convert into bacon & ham soon.

So rainy day project this evening was to knock one of these smoke generators together.

I had an old aquarium pump down in the shed plus some hose for it

Found a piece of alloy pipe that had a hole drilled into it and a smaller diameter bit of steel pipe.  The internal diameter of the steel pipe is similar to the external diamerter of the pump hose.

Found a tin.

Drilled a hole in one side for the alloy pipe and a smaller one on the other side for the steel pipe.

Added a couple of holes at the bottom for the fire.

Hooked it all up and kicked it in the guts and suprise suprise, it works

The pipes are just sitting snug in their respective holes and can be adjusted.  I found that by sliding the intake pipe in further it pumped out more smoke.

I will let it run for an hour or two tonight and then hook it up to the smoker this week and see how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 5:02pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Farmerbrowne...   Looks good...  from the pics it looks like ya need a stronger air pump... which will belt the smoke out like this....  Smoker 4

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 9:58pm
Gold
Gold

field test today and it seemed to go OK

Increase air flow helps and I will also increase size of hole for burn so ash falls out easier.

Also noted a build up of humidity in the tin.

May also try another tin with the pipes at the bottom, near the heat and no lid, just sawdust and see how it goes - should be less humidity.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 11:22pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FarmerBrowne... what sort of heat source have you got inside the smoker unit..??
Trying to figure out what you were smoking in the middle rack..??

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:23am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by *fisher* *fisher* wrote:

FarmerBrowne... what sort of heat source have you got inside the smoker unit..??
Trying to figure out what you were smoking in the middle rack..??
no heat source - just doing a cold smoke of cheese, garlic, sausages (pre cooked) and eggs.

just a test of the smoking making unit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 10:04am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking good Ron.
Dont let the grey hair fool you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:14pm
Silver
Silver

Got mine up and cranking last night after a bit of persuasion. I only managed about 30 mins of burn time maybe 45 but kept going out. I looked inside and the tin had so much moisture in it. It was surprising how long it lasted. I had them sitting in the hotwater cupboard for a few hours before the smoke but mayeb it was not enough. How do you guys prepare the wood chips before a smoke? The chips I am using are these ones here. Are they wrong??? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Retail-hospitality/Kitchen-equipment-supplies/Other/auction-359742563.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 8:32pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have never had a problem with my wood chips going out. my wood chips in the movie clips i made had been sitting for 2 or 3 years in my garage that is as damp as a wet winter.

maybe your venturi tube is to long or to short.  can you post up pics of your setup.

Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm
Silver
Silver

I will have to get them up in a few days as my camera has sh&t itsself but will do as soon as I can. Yeah I didn't think the wood chips would be a problem. What about the moisture in the tin during burning? It coated all the walls and was driping off the lip when I took it off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:34am
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well My Mate and I made a new smoker and failed miserably.

I thinj i was trying to be to greedy and use a too bigger tube to hold the wood chips. I grabbed a piece of 100mm dia stainless and found that the chips will smoulder and a small amount of smoke will come out, but i think the excess chips between the smouldering ones and the venturi was cutting down the air flow to much.

I will get some 63mm or 2 1/2 inch pipe to try next.

Apart from that the one we made yesterday definately looked the part hahaha. will try and get some photo's up when i get home.

Blair

Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 11:55am
Silver
Silver

I have managed to get a new tin for smoking so instead of giving you pics of my epic fail attempt I might put up pics or dimensions of the new tin to see what your thoughts are on what the best design will be. If you have a similar sized tin or ideas then measurements would be great thanks cause i'm not sure if I will be able to get a new tin anytime soon and I am really want to get this up and going. Pics or dimensions to follow later tonightSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 1:01pm
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Photos of the one what failed would be handy too mate, this is a top thread btw.
Page  <1234 5>