diy anchor winches

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diy anchor winches
    Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:35pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone built one or have any ideas and what sort of motor ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:56am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:25am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the winch motor just need the part's to finish it :) you can use a 24volt wiper motor from a car or truck to use as a motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:37am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you really think a wiper motor would have the torque and grunt to lift an anchor and chain...?

I don't, small motor would probably burn itself out trying.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 12:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep good idea for a kontiki or longline hauler but I don't think it has the grunt to haul a heavy anchor and chain, maybe a light one... look at the size and current ratings of the ones purpose built for boats, big difference in price than a wiper motor mate. But still could be a fun project...Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 3:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

True but no harm in finding out. i have the proper winch motor just need the stuff to finish it, or spend 5 hundy and buy one made up bolt it in wire it up away we go, just one problem... no boat to use it on....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 3:15pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Know of people who have made them from wheel chair drive motors. Have high speed and low speed as I think they can be run on either 12V or 24V.

I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 3:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good idea tangi will look into that to :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 7:56pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I experimented with a wiper motor, and did a few test pulls, worked fine up to about 40kg of weight. but it was probably half the speed of a proper capstan. Depending on the size of the boat, could be a reasonable option though. (I was just using a mazda familia wiper motor too, so no doubt there's gruntier ones out there!)

The other set up I got started on, but never finished, was one of those cheap trailer winch set ups, converting it into a drum for warp and chain. Could be another cheap option with a bit of kiwi smarts! (Just need to remove the final reduction ratio, to get a decent line pull speed)  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JOLLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:55pm
JOLLY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Ohsoslow Ohsoslow wrote:

I experimented with a wiper motor, and did a few test pulls, worked fine up to about 40kg of weight. but it was probably half the speed of a proper capstan. Depending on the size of the boat, could be a reasonable option though. (I was just using a mazda familia wiper motor too, so no doubt there's gruntier ones out there!)

The other set up I got started on, but never finished, was one of those cheap trailer winch set ups, converting it into a drum for warp and chain. Could be another cheap option with a bit of kiwi smarts! (Just need to remove the final reduction ratio, to get a decent line pull speed)  

What size capstan/drum did you use to get 40 kg?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:55pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate,
I can't remember exact size, but it was a rubber trailer roller, would of been about 50-60mm.. But I wasn't able to pull for long to test if it would handle pulling 40kg for a decent amount of time (As my testing was pulling weights up the side of the house onto the roof.. yes I am a westie)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:03pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a good idea for test runs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 3:35pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can use an old bendix type starter motor which is plenty powerful enough. Heaps of grunt. Draws about 100amps though.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT