CD fast jig

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CD fast jig
    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 7:51am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking at buying a CD fast jig spin rod (cheers Rozboon for the good oil) to pair with a Penn Slammerlll. Mostly jig in the Gulf using 200-300g jigs but occasionally Target big boys at Mayor isl and hopefully other places.
I'm not sure whether to get the 200-300 model or 250-400. Any advice out there? Which will balance better and will the bigger rod still work 200g jigs ok? Will the 200-300 put enough hurt on bigger fish.
Cheers in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

They are awesome rods, Kane from decoro said the 200-300 gram is a good allround rod and nice and strong... 
i did see someone selling a CD jig rod in the for sale section, not sure if still there or not, was back in january. 
i also sent you a PM about jigs too Big smile
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:35am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Smelli hard to know how it balances with the reel seeing we can't go into the shop
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:31am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a Fast Jig loaded up on a bronzie that was stealing our kingfish on 37kg line and a Makaira spin reel. Fishing behind Barrier a couple years ago.

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:27am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what ever happened to those makaira spin reels? never seen anyone use or want one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:28am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whoa impressive. Which fast jig rod was that LBGer? 200-300 or 250-400?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:50am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmm, honestly can't remember which rod weight sorry, if I were to take a guess then probably the 200-300.
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 1:00pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by coroben coroben wrote:

what ever happened to those makaira spin reels? never seen anyone use or want one

I've got one (20000RS), what do you want to know?

I tried to jig with it for a while but the weight is something of an issue and the retrieve speed is more of an issue; too fast for what we do. Honestly, my 2c, it would be better with closer to 100cm/turn instead of the 130 or so it has, but I think it was designed with popping for big Tuna in mind? You would have to be built like a beast to cast all day with it though, it weighs ~1kg.

I now have it on a CD Pitchbait 37kg rod (bloody marvellous rod) and I dare say it might be the ultimate spin livebait setup. With the "lever drag" style drag on it, I can back the drag all the way off and it will juuuuuust hold a frisky jack mac from taking line, and then as soon as I get a take, a 3/4 turn gets me 15kg of drag with more in reserve.

Back to the original question, the thinking I subscribe to is to base everything on the approximate fish you're targeting and go from there. For example for me in our local fishery, most fish are in that 10-20kg bracket, so a 250-300g rod is more appropriate, and then select jigs to suit. The shape of the jig, within reason, is more important for matching to the depth than the weight of it... a thin end-weighted 200g jig will get down well enough in 100m, whereas a 300g flatter centre-weighted jig will struggle. The only exception to this would be if you're routinely jigging in like 150m+, in which case you want a broomhandle to deal with the big 400g+ jigs.

My 2c anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:38am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Rozboon, yeah worried that 250-400 might be a bit too stiff and heavy.