Bright orange hats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bright orange hats
    Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I came in from fishing today, my mate Dave pulling his yak past our place about same time as another mate came down to get some fish. And my mate remarked on what a great hat Dave had from safety point of view! 
It’s  been a a bit foggy around here, so your visibility is possibly a concern. My mate  (non kayak fisherman) was rather adamant I should wear a large luminous orange beanie hat.  I do tend to wear darker colours, like my black shimano beanie and blue and grey yak vest. My flag fell off years ago .. spun around in wind and went overside. 
Upshot .. I will get a hat like that as on reflection can still see Dave from over 500m today, even with a residual fog.
Being visible on water is possibly important…. I can see Dave’s hat even when I can’t his flag.
It was pretty quiet today but we’re still a few jet skis passing by. I am adverse to over safety.. but the flouro hat seems like good cheap idea for winter in foggier conditions, seems sensible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:59am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We went out on Thursday and the fog just got worse while we were out there, vis down to about 20metres at time. If it wasn’t for the wake and noise of the boats around you, would be hard to see a white boat in the fog.

Quite surprised at how fast some guy drive their boats in the fog.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:35pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I have safety orange beanie or bright green Legionaires hat for sunny days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:11pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Quite surprised at how fast some guy drive their boats in the fog.

Few years ago, I was kayak fishing Meola reef, in close by the mangroves, basically zero visibility around me
Heard a fizz boat doing full speed heading in my direction, at the last minute a bit of clearing happened for them & he was able to pull up & turn hard.... instead of running into the exposed oyster rocks which were almost on top of them

The Kalahari hat with its wrap around is a goodie out on the water.... recommended
https://canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/clothing/head-wear/kalahari-hat/