Breaking off snags

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking off snags
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear there is a special tool that you can wrap the braid around to bust off when necessary. Just that if you wrap a glove or anything else you have to be dam careful or the line will cut itself off at the wrap. Also if it happens to get unbearable due to wrong glove wrap etc pain isn't a gain and things can get messy. Someone said Yehaa had something but I cant see anything on their page and don't know what it's called. 
Cheers for the assist.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:44pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a PE stick (knot tightening tool) might work?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:55pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No good searching that on their site either. Might it have another name? Google wont stop giving me stickers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:58pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it is a stick that is wrapped in some sort of neoprene or something that grips the braid but doesn't cut to bits. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is a link to a tool:
https://www.balista.com.au/lures/break-braid-tool

I was going to buy one but instead I slid a section of bicycle tube over a short section of dowel / broom handle. It works a treat, the rubber tube really grips the braid well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:36pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Here is a link to a tool:
https://www.balista.com.au/lures/break-braid-tool

I was going to buy one but instead I slid a section of bicycle tube over a short section of dowel / broom handle. It works a treat, the rubber tube really grips the braid well.
bloody great idea. Thanks The link is a different tool than what was explained to me I think it was much closer to what you have. I'll be building one for sure. I recon that tool would also encourage the braid to snap at the tool where it crosses over itself. Idea is to get the braid back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 11:11pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just use the gaff handle(wooden) wound round dozen odd times, with NO overlaps, rod tip starting from end of gaff and finishing in middle, going to snag. Grip it like a t bar and wait for it to break or apply "just in gear". Had a 40ft boat anchored on a snag at the kings with this on 80lb before breaking after a minute drifting. As long as there is no overlap, will normally break near the knot or any other weakness in the line. Note "do not overlap"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:27am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

I think it is a stick that is wrapped in some sort of neoprene or something that grips the braid but doesn't cut to bits. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Gear-Lab���ギアラボ)-Gear-Lab(ギアラボ)ブレークバー・根がかり切断に/dp/B004NKU0QC
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:30am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/���一精工-ラインブレーカー10cm/dp/B001HYKLHU

Check these links.. need to copy the whole link.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nup both links including all the Characters both just go to some sort of startup page. Is there a tool name I can search? BTW I have some super thick heat shrink that might just do the stick trick too. I'm going to try that and the tube idea if I cant get my hands on ...............
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:41pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can be a real ******* eh. I use a wooden gaff handle and the t-bar technique as above, then cross my fingers that it breaks at the leader knot. Also the importance of no overlap cannot be overstated, if your wraps cross they will just cut it off right there. Which does sting a bit if you're using hollowcore and have quite a lot out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Platinum
Platinum