Boat trailer and engine

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat trailer and engine
    Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We'll need to know intended use and budget first.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 5:59pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How old is the hull and what shape is it in? What will you use it for? If for diving you may want HP at the max for the boat to carry the weight. If just a couple heading out fishing, less HP may do just fine etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StephDiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:01pm
StephDiving View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was thinking around 40hp.  But I am guessing.  I don't know how old it is.  It is in good condition.  Yes we would dive or fish off it and would like to biscuit.  We used it for all these things about 6 years ago.  But then stopped using it.  There were engine problems - which has gone for parts and then trailer munted.  Its a bit of a long story but I am doing it up for my 2 kids as it was their Dads (passed away 6 years ago).  And they really want it back in action. I am in a bit of a catch 22 as not sure what my best avenue is with the engine as am sure if that was OK, it would be fairly trouble free.  Sorry that was a bit long winded. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StephDiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Intended use - diving - but just 2 tanks, fishing. camping trips to the islands.  use only in the bay of islands.  I don't want to spend 10s of 1000's doing up something that may not be worth it. So just want reliable and functional.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StephDiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Realistically I would not want to spend more than 5k on the engine I dont think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can one of the moderators switch this to The Boat Shed - might get more eyes on it?

sounds like you've got an exciting project and will build some great new family memories once you've achieved what you're after. Good luck.

Buying new provides comfort that you're not buying a lemon (pile of trouble = pile of dollars) but to get the benefits of new such as a guarantee you normally have to follow service regime prescribed by the retailer, which can be quite pricey.
Also, the dealer may specify they have to to fit the outboard or any guarantee would be null and void. 

It might be worth trying to get a motor someone's traded in to a dealer with a good service history.

Look on The Boat Shed thread for discussions about motors. Some of the popular makes are Honda, Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Evinrude and Tohatsu. 
There are four strokes and two strokes in most size ranges, which is often a decision that involves noise, power, and economy. 

As a starting point, 40-60hp would be the ball park (I have a similar sized tinny runabout and have a 40hp four stroke on it). Pushes it along nicely. But if I was regularly having a big mate on board, and dive gear, I'd have got a 60hp. Ditto having older kids on board with a biscuit, one or two hangers on mates, and the driver. 60hp sounds like it'd be required.

Also, get someone who knows about motors to ensure the length of the engine shaft is okay for your boat, which may be an older model.
For example, my dad got a new Yamaha for his 1970s boat, and had to modify the stern because of the length of the shaft.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Have moved this to the boat shed forum. Outboard advice for Fyran 440
Best gurnard fisherman in my street