Backbone elite vs Saltist? help a newbie out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rhacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backbone elite vs Saltist? help a newbie out
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:47pm
Rhacz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,
First time posting on here, have been browsing the threads for a little wee while now. Really want to have a go at using poppers for targetting kingfish. I'm mainly fishing land based off rocks... Seeing all these threads and videos on Youtube got me real excited to try it for my self! 
I've recently been looking at two combos:
Backbone elite 8'2 paired with a 10000 gosa... 
vs
Daiwa Saltist SJ802XH with a 6500 BG

Similar price range, the backbone was about 200? dollars more...
I've been in Smart Marine and had a feel for the two rods and felt that the Saltist is ALOT stiffer in my opinion... I've sorted gathered that this would have an effect on casting lures and from my understanding the Saltist is more designed for 150-200gm lures. Does this mean it would have 'trouble' casting lighter lures around 100gms? or does it mean it just wouldnt cast out as far?

I might be completely wrong on how I'm understanding the difference between the two... PS the guys at Smart Marine were very helpful!just wanted what your guys opinions were too! 
If it helps, although the BG is a bit heavier, i really liked the feeling of this reel better and hence leaning towards this...

Your opinions would be very helpful!

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 9:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to the forum. It's a great community, lots of people willing to help.
I presume you've found the previous threads on rod recommendations for shore-based top water.
To summarise, some value rod length for clearance and castability, others not so fussed.
Some say you need reels with 15kg+ drag and to lock up, others say the harder you set the drag, the harder kingies pull.

Both of those reels are among the most highly regarded 'entry' level ones for top water, though the BG 6500 is pretty heavy compared to the Gosa isn't it? i have a BG5000 and really like its smoothness.

the other thing is the difference between a popper rod and a stick bait rod - usually in terms of the tip (stiffer v softer). 
You don't want to end up with a rod that can't work stick baits if that's where you are going to move towards. 

There's quite a nice Penn rod for heavier top water in that sort of price range.

150-200g lures are pretty hefty! Hit the gym before summer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rhacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:58pm
Rhacz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Tamure Kid :D
Will take everything you said into consideration... I’ll look out for the 5000BG as well. I was attracted to the 6500BG as it was on special as a combo set with the saltist rod...
Good point about moving on to stick baits later on ahaha that is probably something I will be interested in doing...
You reckon overall for a ‘dedicated’ popper set up the 6500BG and saltiga isn’t too bad though?
I’ll do some more research in the future when I want a different set up for stickbaits

Cheers for your response dude! Really appreciate it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No worries.
Either combo should be a good starter one for rock top water on a budget, but my instinct is that Daiwa combo is pretty heavy for the inevitable long periods of casting you'll be doing off the rocks, and also for carrying in.
(not sure what area you are fishing, obviously).

As a learner, I felt better having a composite rod (as both of those are) when fishing off the rocks. A bit more forgiving of bangs, high sticking etc.

I got myself a short rod holder to wedge into rocks, because you inevitably get tired, and it's good to have somewhere to put the rod while you take a breather.