Anyone fished in Niue recently?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HugoMaclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 12:26am
HugoMaclean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

your in for a treat! wow. most amazing place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Quick silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 2:51pm
Quick silver View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by HugoMaclean HugoMaclean wrote:

Talk about digging up an old topic!

Just booked some flights there for the 28th nov - 4th dec.

Traveling by myself, armed topwater rods, jigging gear, gopros amd a drone. Really want to do some LBG stuff but would like to get out on a boat one day.

No accom booked yet so suggestions for that also?

Things to do? People to meet?

Cheers

How did your trip go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:53am
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone got the details on when the best times of year are for fishing in Nuie for various diff species? Like when is best time for wahoo? when is best for yellowfin etc.?

Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:09pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jun july best time for Wahoo, not sure about yft....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 4:58pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

HI All,

recently had the pleasure of going to Niue for a week in the sun.......arrived on the 22/6 to nice warm breeze blowing gently across the tarmac as I disembarked....all week was approx 26-28 degrees with light variable winds during the day and about 20 at night...sometimes with a little rain....made for perfect swimming conditions during the day and easy sleeping conditions at night.

I stayed at the Matavai resort which looks out over the eastern side of the island and is approx 10k's from Alofi which is the main town on the island...

View from rooom out over Matavai resort. I did seem to spend a strange amount of time at the bar pool around 5:30 to 7pm each night....

the ring road is 64 k's and hiring a car is highly recommended to get around and explore the island.

As it is a coral atoll reef walkers etc highly recommended.

Also take along your own snorkel gear...snorkelling is amazing with a huge veriety of fish located in around the shallows.....once past the reef the bottom drops away to well over 300m....pretty awesome when its only 50m from the edge of the reef...

As everything is either shipped in monthly or air freighted in things are relatively expensive so its pays to be prepared before heading over...think of things like panadol, sun screen etc

Also if you need to be contacted, Niue does not do global roaming for mobiles so you need to purchase a local SIM...while I was there picked up one for $30 with $50 credit.

There is a lot to do on the island from exploring the caves and reefs and snorkelling to diving, SUP and fishing....there are plenty of charter operators and most are also local fishermen making a living...

I went out on a charter with Sea Turtle charters....seaturtlecharters.co.nz....captain is Ian he fishes for a living he knows where to go, he also has all the gear onboard if you dont want to take your own gear....he is also and ex chefso he knows how to cook the fish you catch....on the day I went out, we went trolling around the FADs and hook up a couple of skippys before getting the target species....WAHOO.....

This little fella tipped in at a nice 15 kgs....beware the beastie with nastie teeth....

For a 6 hour charter cost was $400....but it didnt include any snacks etc  so take your own......

As it is just out of season for the big fish there wasnt a lot being caught.....as the whales start to migrate from about the end of this month through to November is when all the fish turn up....but while I was there on of the locals managed to catch a 90kg marlin in his dugout.......took him 4 hours to haul it in and get back to shore...awesome fish....

Mostly it was kicking back and relaxing....awesome holiday and 7 days was way to short....my advice is to go from Tuesday to Friday gives you 10 days with the dateline difference.

The coconut crab are big and ugly and you can go hunting from them on the road after dark....if the tides are right you can also go on the lower reef at night and hunt for painted crays...nie big and good eating...

There arent a lot of places to eat and you will pretty much knock them all over quickly...Gill resturant whih is the local Indian resturant run by Harry is awesome and exellent priced...there is a sushi place which is pretty good and then the resort etc.

There are some self stays available on the island but not sure of the prices but they seem pretty good....there is one high end place....

All in all a fantastic place to go and relax and go for a fish...I am already planning my next trip there and willprobably take some of my own gear next time to try a little fishing from the lower reef....

cheers

Michael
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:38am
Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great report, would you say june, july best time and ca you recomment a charter co... thanks m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:18pm
Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

fyi as an update, Just come back from Niue, did 3 trips on Seaturtle with Ian. Able to use our own light tackle setups ( with braid and top 20mtr 10lb mono) caught 6 mahimahi, 7 wahoo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, would love to go back sometime....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 8:35pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome cheers 4 the update.
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kcinekul90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:18pm
Kcinekul90 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bringing this back to the top..

Heading over in September. We have already booked a charter but looking for recommendations for land based fishing.

What lures/gear would you recommend?
Thinking I’ll buy a new topwater set for over there, any recommendations on weights etc?

Cheers
Nick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 9:20am
scooter123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are lots of places to fish from the shore.Fish species are mostly trevally ,blufin and GT,i have also caught baracuda and coral trout.There are also those fish that just dont stopCryWho knows what these could be.Best lure,any thing you can cast a long way,Also poppers Have never worked for me on Niue.A big curly tail soft bait works well.Make sure you hire a car 4x4 is best and go explore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 9:32am
Silver
Silver

And the best advice i could give go and see Willie at wash away cafe on sunday ,he has a Kayak That he might lend you,paddle out to the FAD about 400m out from shore.I have caught Wahoo, Yellowfin and Mahimahi.We also had a Marlin follow a stick bait ,The chances of catching somthing realy cool is very high
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 9:06pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great advice thanks, I'm heading there in early November for a week. I'm going to do a couple of charters but will take my stickbait gear and a 9 foot rod for casting softies on my 4000 twin power with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:47am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

this is a shore based trev, from the reef 5 mins to the left of the main warf, caught on white paddle tail zman, take small hard body lures with a little glow on them and cast straight off the warf at night and catch red snapper looking fish with massive eyes, taste amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:50pm
Silver
Silver

Wach out for the weather that time of year.My wife and i went in December for 10 days,we had 10 days of rain and huge swells,the one day we got out on the kayak the fishing was amazing at the FAD Hooking yellowfin on jigs.But landed nothing because of the sharks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok cheers. Yeah we won a comp to go and that's the earliest we can get there as couldn't go in the peak season or school holidays. Hopefully it's OK.
Page  <12