30deg Rod Rack

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30deg Rod Rack
    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 10:04pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just finished this little project, for a mate that i've been doing some work for.
All done from Douglas Fir and pine trim that has been taken out of his house. Stripped back, sanded out, and coated numerous times with gloss.
The rod Holders came off a TM deal that was brought for cheap but turned out to have cracked welds round the tops of the tubes and no good for the boat, but good for here. Hence the 30deg rack face.
Designed for 80w Tiagras in a single row but legs long enough that if a lower row of holders was ever wanted then they could be drilled in and double the capacity of more conventional rod'n'reels.
Have to say that love the look of the fir in the light from different angles. With the deep gloss over it, it change's from 3d to metallic, to character to any of all.
As Much as i want to keep it, that was never going to be.

BUT i made two boards so now i have another plan for my "One Offf, one of "   HEHEHE
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 7:43am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice job
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 8:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That high gloss finish on the Doudlas fir..which retains its grain 'shapes' is impressive.
 I know the amount of work.. well short  bits but over several days.. to achieve that.
 I built the wife a  heart rimu kitchen bench, slash backs from rough sawn 8x2 planks down to 2x2" glued together then flattened with very slight run off into the sink.
12 coats of International Ship deck varnish, blocked with 800 and 1200 between coats to mirror finish.

And never done or seen it done before...near 30yrs ago pre U tube/ google... and it is still in good condition.

So I actually appreciate the work and finish you put inThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seeing it up close that's cracker work there.
Well done.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

That high gloss finish on the Doudlas fir..which retains its grain 'shapes' is impressive.
 I know the amount of work.. well short  bits but over several days.. to achieve that.
 I built the wife a  heart rimu kitchen bench, slash backs from rough sawn 8x2 planks down to 2x2" glued together then flattened with very slight run off into the sink.
12 coats of International Ship deck varnish, blocked with 800 and 1200 between coats to mirror finish.

And never done or seen it done before...near 30yrs ago pre U tube/ google... and it is still in good condition.

So I actually appreciate the work and finish you put inThumbs Up

The High grain was intentionally sanded out steps. Orbital sander made a good start while stripping of the old poly, then sanded out the soft grain further by hand, graduating to 400g. 8 heavy coats sanded and tack clothed between each, and about 80 bottles of beer from start to finish!
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beautiful work Terrafish and a really practical rack to store your big rods and reels. Really like the high gloss finish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:53am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Class job there, very nice Clap

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar