Tow Vehicles

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:10pm
Bdawg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, could anyone recommend a cheap tow vehicle(under $15k) for a 5.8m ali boat, weighing about 1,200kg? I've got a 2.4L auto CRV AWD that I don't think will cut it retrieving from beach launches.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 7:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a well-chewed chestnut on the forum. Hopefully someone can find the relevant threads if you haven't read them and still need advice.

But you'll have two camps - the ute camp; and the SUV camp (e.g. Pajero, Prado, Pathfinder).
If you're just towing from a bach to the beach, maybe a tractor - but that is a total other can of potential mechanical worms from what I'e seen.

i have a 2006 Hilux SR5 which I've found really good. I have tyres that are half way between offroad and road. I have a smaller tinny than yours, but have never had a drama beach launching (not west coast or a genuine surf beach, though) and I like the practicality of a ute with a tuff deck. But you'll get recommendations right through to Ssangyongs. I would never buy a car i had to look up twice to spell!! LOL

I have a friend who loves his older model Pajero and I looked seriously at a Prado before settling on the Hilux (just personal reference).

I'm not sure what you can get for less than $15,000, as the car market is as crazy as the boat market, but it goes without saying that a serious mechanical pre-check would be on my must-do before buying. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 8:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just sold our 96 bighorn for around 1/3 that.. rebuilt pumps , good tyres, very tidy interior, no rust, undersealed, oil seals vac lines done, regular service from new,  after over 12yrs pulling the Commander thru the hills nps.
Had the grunt, but lacked speed bit up long steep hills compared to modern 4x4  deseil tow vehicles. Colardos,  hilux etc.
 It would go over a long steep hill around 75km  where others would drop into the 80s.
Now got a 2.2L 4x4 ssangyoung.. geared really nice for general road towing. Unlike the hiluxes etc its not a off road go bush vehicle.
$15K is a hard bracket..

Will be just watch around, maybe quite a few months, till something pops up with good maintenance, reasonable miles/ condition.
 In the mean time check out a few car yards, start taking a few for a test run.
We did that getting the bighorn, very quickly eliminated many models, then others got eliminated because of inherent (hidden) rust issues.