WTB: 3 Kings Gear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: 3 Kings Gear
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 6:56pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As the tittle says, putting the feelers out there for some gear and maybe some tackle advice if need be.

After a talica 50w on a tiagra ultra carbon as I need the two butts or a similar rod would be good.

maxel sealion jigging reel or jigging master after a pe7 or pe8.

Also a jigging rod in the 350-450g range, something like jig star, jigging master synit etc..

Black magic equalizer setup also, probably just the standard size.

If you have any other gear you want to offer much appreciate, reply or pm be great.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 6:11pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To the top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:10pm
S-Ray View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

See there is a really cheap OJ4000p which would be good for the Kings on here?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:45pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by S-Ray S-Ray wrote:

Cheers

I will keep that in mind, thanks mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:56pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Hen Hen wrote:

Cheers

Be better if it had a Cals drag upgrade as they only put out 15kg drag from original( i have both 4000 and 5000 P models with upgrades and been to 3 Kings twice) so look at reels with min of 20+kg drag or thick gloves when you have to clamp down on your reelWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:20pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Cheers

Be better if it had a Cals drag upgrade as they only put out 15kg drag from original( i have both 4000 and 5000 P models with upgrades and been to 3 Kings twice) so look at reels with min of 20+kg drag or thick gloves when you have to clamp down on your reelWink

Yea pretty sure I will go with a maxel price wise new or a jm second hand. Thanks for the advice mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:25pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hard to go past a JM or Accurate, no place for using inferior gear up there
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hard to go past a JM or Accurate, no place for using inferior gear up there

Do you not rate the maxel? Agree with both of those reels tho with all the research I have done so far....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 4:26am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers

Dont know if i agree with this statement.....only 15kg of drag !............good luck staying in the boat with 20+kg of drag going down...........I have both the 5000P with Cals drag upgrade and plate ......i have the 4000P with cals drag washers but they dont make the plate anymore.........swordfish steve(On Here) does a good job of smoothing the standard plate and gets good drag out of it..............get the jigger bro...especially at that price..only 450 now..they were 800-900 new in their day...Bullet proof reel that wont crap out ...made specific for the purpose with history behind it.........I had a Jm and it had issues....have had a few........smooth drag is what you need.......the more drag you put on a fish the harder it will fight........Ocea jiggers are bloody good reels.....maybe a little heavy/ bulky but i wouldnt part with either of mine .....they are my weapons of choice for the kings/ranfurly/white.......NZ fishing Legend " Mark Kitteridge" has the same view as me and has caught some monsters on his 4000P with the stock drag(thats what he told me)........however IMHO the smooth drag washers and the plate machined are a very worthwhile upgrade.Wink......No Offence Kev but personally i never clamp down on the reel with thumbs etc........wears your gloves out.....more likely to get busted too.........Prefer to let the drag do its thing....If the fish was to reef me....so be it..just my 2 cents worth.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 7:36am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

lbd, it pays to have HP to stop donkeys reefing you, if you havent got a reel with enough drag, you need to use your thumbs to slow them down a bit.
The OJ 4000P and its big brother(5000P) need a carbontex drag upgrade asap to make the drags as smooth as silk, my original drags turned to crap real quick and became very jerky, set of carbontex and better than newThumbs Up
15kg of drag is nothing doodLOL harden up or go home, i use at least 15kg but more like 18kg and if you have got that extra drag in your reel, you cant use it(bit like a race car, nice to have it hen you need it)

Hen... Maxel are ok too, i have a small FC30 that i love for snapper(never used the bigger models)
Got a JMPE 5 and that is awesome gear as well( Maxel actually used to build JM reels a few years ago) hence the similarity
Another option albiet a little on the heavy side is a 12C Alutecnos, awesome reels
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 10:05am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stock drag in the 4000p is fine.

For about one to two days of heavy drag fishing...

:)

I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 10:28am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a look personal preference when it comes to this year. Havnt used a oj4000 so cant comment. Have a maxel transformer f60h as my main jigging reel. 15 trips and still silky. Very similar to the high speed jigging master. The knob on the jigging master is the best out there though
I also have an accurate. These are not as smooth or easy to wind as the JM/maxel but built tough. Definately will last the longest of these options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 4:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Kev.....I have done exactly the same thing as you to my 5000P ....I changed the drag immediately(didnt even use it) as i was also aware of the ****ty drag stock washers that were used....Dust build up etc..It was the standard upgrade at the time...........it increased  the drag  but also made it smoother and last longer.......I have used the 5000P at white(several times/three kings and Ranfurly).......while at ranfurly i caught a 30 kg king and a 40 kg puka .....didnt use full drag and didnt thumb the spool..........If you choose to use 20 kg plus and thumb your spool......thats up to you...Each to his own....But i can tell you.....i didnt get anywhere near locking up on my drag when i caught those fish...........After all...what is fishing if you dont get the rush of line peeling off your reel?......The upgrade is worthwhile and with it ...a very appropriate weapon for the places mentioned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 4:49am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

Stock drag in the 4000p is fine.

For about one to two days of heavy drag fishing...

:)

True......thats why i found it strange that mark kitteridge told me he has the standard drag on his reel and hasnt felt the need to change it( I actually asked him once, if he wanted to sell his 4000P)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 6:23pm
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bump
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:34am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

PM sent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:27am
Hen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Received and updated auction, thanks for all your offers and help so far guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingieslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:34pm
kingieslayer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a synit rod and accurate 500N for sale 900 gor the set
woman love me fish fear me!