3Kings - metal mayhem

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seansurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3Kings - metal mayhem
    Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 5:26pm
seansurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After meeting Mogi and his Grouper Boys at Auckland airport, Chris, Shane and I loaded them into our cars and made the drive to Mangonui to rendezvous with Cascade to begin our 5 day jigging charter to the 3 Kings.

We arrived at Mangonui at around 2 pm and met with Brett the skipper of Cascade shortly afterwards and loaded the gear and started rigging rods......The Grouper Boys had a wide assortment of quality gear with Stella’s, Saltiga’s, Ocea Jiggers and Torsa’s being the preferred reels, while Valley Hill, Carpenter and Custom Works rods dominated. Line class was predominately PE8. 

A quick softbait and light tackle jigging session in Doubtless Bay leading into dusk resulted in a few nice fish with a 7kg snapper on 4kg soft plastic gear being the highlight. But it was time to make the run to the Kings.

We arrived at the King Bank at sunrise on Monday and were almost immediately into quality fish. Kingfish up to 30kg hit the deck regularly with an assortment of others adding variety.

Shane muscled a 30kg Bass on his JM500/OJ4000P while I had a 220lb leader shredded through the reef by a better fish pushing heavy drag on a JM400/Stella 20000 combo.
A change to 50lb tackle and a large soft plastic again saw me being dealt to...halfway through the fight with a solid kingfish the anti-reverse on my Tiburon imploded and had to be retired for the remainder of the trip.....no space for anything but the toughest gear. After a full on day of consistent action we made our way to the Princess Group and our anchorage for the night.

The following day we went straight to the Middlesex Bank with high expectations of big bad Bass and monster Kingfish. Brett set up the drift in 130m and I dropped the Zest deep slim to the bottom....2 cranks of the OJ5000P was met with a crunching strike and the Xzoga500 folded away into a serious working curve. The short but brutal power play which insued resulted in my first Bass.

The fishing was uncharacteristically slow for the rest of the day with a few good Kingfish and smaller Bass landed. The weather had begun to deteriorate, so we made the run back to the Princess Group, a hot meal and a beer. A couple of live baits were deployed and resulted in one hook-up to a very angry seal! This entertained the Grouper Boys enormously, but thankfully the hook pulled and the seal swam away none the worse for wear.

Next morning, Luke went for a quick dive which produced some nice Cray’s and a bag full of Kinas.

We decided the King Bank was the place to go. Shane and Luke the deckie set the spread for an early morning troll on the way. Twice we had solid strikes from billfish only to have them throw the hooks. Both Strikes came from black and purple coloured skirts.

Jigging was hot at the King Bank with the Grouper Boys get stuck into some quality Kingfish.
Mogi and the Grouper Boys were using primarily slider style jigs up to and over 550g while Chris, Shane and I were using mainly bottom weighted Zests and JM Rockets up to 500g. Both styles worked well throughout the day, but the chrome and silver slider jigs came into their own in the early evening with multiple hook ups on big kingfish. Mogi’s jigging style is very relaxed and he rarely changed it, starting with 3 or 4 high lifts of the rod with 2 cranks of the handle per lift followed by a slow to medium paced 1:1 mechanical jigging. This style coupled with the sliding jigs proved very effective.....Chris took both of the top fish for the day with a hefty 30kg Bass and a very well conditioned 35kg Kingfish.
  With sore backs and aching arms we settled into our anchorage and a good night’s sleep.

Jigging the shallows around the Princess Group was our mission for our final day and it was with very heavy drag settings we dropped our jigs into the white water and washes.

Fishing was slow and it took some time to find the fish. Chris got stretched by a turbo charged 25kg fish, but never gave an inch.
 The Grouper Boys had success too with a few good fish, and some wipeouts including a broken Custom Works rod.....PE6 rated rod with PE8 maxed out is looking for trouble.
Shane and I had a play with the softplastics taking some nice trevally. Chris chimed in with a nice kelpy out of the suds.....

With the fishing relatively slow, we made the call to run to the King Bank for one last afternoon and evening session. A couple of smaller Bass kicked things off and right on the change of light all hell broke loose with multiple hook ups and some pretty funny rail dancing with several Kingfish to 30kg hitting the deck.

Everyone had hooked, caught and lost good fish when the call came to pull in the lines for the last time. Brett pointed Cascade towards North Cape and we made our way back to Mangonui.

The fishing during the trip was consistent, with the change of light periods producing very hot sessions. All jigs worked well, with the heavy sliders the Grouper Boys used almost exclusively producing great results. I had some success with large softbaits in deeper water(100m+) and Chris experimented with soft baits on his assist hooks with good results. We broke two rods, one on a fish and the other was an accidentally broken landing a kingfish. My Tiburon and Mogi's Stella(oscillating system)were the only reels to fail. Any weakness in you gear will be exposed on these trips....Invest in the best. 

Brett and Luke on Cascade worked tirelessly to look after us and get us onto the fish. Brett has a very good attitude, loves fishing and earned our respect the way he ran the charter. All up a fantastic trip with loads of memorable moments and even better company.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 6:07pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome stuff loved the report.
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snowbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 6:18pm
snowbal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

wow! looks like a stunner of a trip, mite haf to give this jigging thing a try
"Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 6:22pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

now that right there is a fishing report, fluck me, well done guys bloody awesome, dont suppose they mentioned the weight of the wahoo they got a week or so before your trip?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 7:05pm
vermin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

far out - that looks like fun! great report and photo's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 7:21pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awsome trip report! Some wicked photos and fish. I love the photo of the JM400s loaded up with the Stella!!!!! (the overhead being very slightly stiffer, I believe), anyway some class fishing indeed...Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 7:29pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Wow! what a trip.
& Wow! what a reportThumbs%20Up

Amazing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:02pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome!

Must make one of those trips in future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:27pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow is right, nice fish, pics and report!
Must be nice to travel around the world for a spot of 30kg kingies and bass aye. Well done

_popupControl();
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:48pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good report and pictures ,Awesome . Looks like you guys had a great tripThumbs%20UpClap
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:54pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for posting, awesome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:55pm
chopsticks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is one heck of a good report and great pics too. Thumbs%20Up

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 9:57pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great report & photos Sean.  I really enjoyed your company and look forward to the next trip together. 

Stabi-jigger, your former PS400+Stella really performed outstandingly during the trip.  I can vouch that that combo slayed plenty of monsters and deadly in Sean's hands.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 10:17pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

double WOW!!!...good on you'se fulla's mint trip
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:07pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic report,the pictures speak louder than words...very nice fish Clap
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 8:28am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

Great report & photos Sean.  I really enjoyed your company and look forward to the next trip together. 

Stabi-jigger, your former PS400+Stella really performed outstandingly during the trip.  I can vouch that that combo slayed plenty of monsters and deadly in Sean's hands.

Yeah, it suddenly clicked after I posted my comment. Brilliant to see!!!!!!!Big%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:35am
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what a trip. wicked report and pics sean

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:38am
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

steve pursuit got a 30kg wahoo 2 days ago, wicked trip right there,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote burwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:41am
burwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome guys. Cant wait for my trip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seansurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:55am
seansurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys, pics are courtesy of Mogi, Chris, Shane and myself.
Page  123>