Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45257
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 12:52am

Topic: Whangarei Harbour report.
Posted By: EKO
Subject: Whangarei Harbour report.
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 8:32pm
Went out today rough as guts out the front went by the old woman, the anchor couldn't hold ground , so I moved & lost the bloody thing cut it off on the prop.
Headed back in to the harbor tied off to a green marker pass marston point, caught over 14 Kahawai, 4 Gurnard & supprise supprise landed two Snappers one at 54cm the other at 45.....
Got my bag limit of 20 with in 4hrs, the tide was the last 2hrs out going and 1hr in when I caught the bulk of the fish.

Replies:
Posted By: OffTheHook
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 9:30pm
you guys are so lucky to have such a good fishery up there eko. gutd about your anchor but at least you caught some good fish mateThumbs Up

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:05am
Well done Dave, we were gonna go out early but chickened out after hearing of 25 knots NW.

Some great Snapper there and sounds like the fish aren't far from entering the harbour, yahooClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: smellybait
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 6:36pm

Dave, she was pretty rough outside by all accounts... but hey we'd never seen as many fish in a long while. Three mile reef was firing, Guano rock produced a 14kg kingi and 22lb snapper.... one boat had three fisho on it and they had their quota of fin fish and snapper. 27 snapper and they were all over 12lbs the fin fish consited of terries and kahawai ... a great haul for three fishos.... the best was a guy who said hey I only got a couple...... he had two ladies with him... and someone said hey mate  if you take out the ladies sometimes the fishing isn't great.... well he showed us these two fish. one was a kingi around 16kgs and the other was a snapper around 10kgs.... he was smiling.... but the crazy thing was that his missuss caught both the fish.... we had to eat our words..... Saturday was huge everyone had their quota... a great day had by all.... Waving SBThumbs Up

-------------
If all you have got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 8:54pm
Yip some nice fish around at the mo. I had today off so I shot out into the harbor again with my worker who has been on a few boats and has always came home with nothing..
But with a bit if education & show how of what needs to be done he was landing fish left right & center...with him landing his biggest fish PB ...had to be a snapper of 46cm lol.
Oh well we came home with over 20 fish.

No text back from NZTurtle LOL but a few from Catchalot Big smile, dont you hate it wen peps txt when they r having funWink

-------------
Its not about the size of your boat! "But how you use it

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 8:58pm
Nice report there SB,

I got more texts this morning and phone sex I mean phone txt pics from Eko todayLOL while I was at work, the buggar....he was into Gurnards, Snappers and Kahawai just off the Marsden Pt wharf in Whg Vegas harbour!

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:10pm
Haha got there just after you Dave, just love your fishing txts when I am working NOT!LOL

Baits or Softies today bro?

Mud marlin will be spawning in the harbour soon so look out for the Mantas Mate 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Haha got there just after you Dave, just love your fishing txts when I am working NOT!LOL

Iv got another two days fishing to go yetErmm, new contract starts on Friday then it's back to that nasty work placeDead

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 2:02pm
You crafty buggar.... the admiral won't let me out at the moment.... jobs coming out my ears.... how did three mile go?,,,,.... that seemed to be where the action was last weekend... waving SBThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 3:09pm
Good shiz guys!

Nice to hear some kingis are looming about already.

Posted By: NZTurtle
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:00pm
Dave you bstard Wink
Soz got the text and then didn't get to look at it...
New contract eh?
Maybe afew days off for me then :)

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:25pm
Dave I will be on Annual Leave next Fortnight I hope to fish every day and send you a million txts whilst you are at work ya buggar!

Pay back time I reckonLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: brown
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 9:02pm
got out to the power station just after lunch today, gannets for africa and a heap of bait sign. most of the fish caught on blue pepper neons avg between 12-18lbs....chef and i got busted by some good fish......home by 5pm 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 9:21pm
Nice eden gives a txt when your out and about, I'll motor over to the spot 0211118235

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 9:37pm
enteredThumbs Up

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 7:55am
Nice one edan, mean report there, what depth were they at mate?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 4:36pm

The local weather station is saying 35 Km/h Southerly at the moment and it is supposed to die away in moring and turn Northerly and rise to 15 Km/h in the arvo...

We hope to be out there in the morning, some say good snapper off the Power Station and 3 mile reef area and Trevs off the Marsden Pt wharf...so heres hoping

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 4:43pm

Nice one edan, mean report there, what depth were they at mate?

bait sign all over, but best results 10-15mtrs....good luck

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 4:51pm
Thanks Edan, you been out since or busy?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 7:50pm
Gud day fishing today but man it was rough coming back....another sweet ride home,tomorrow I'll be on the water after 9 Al will give you a call.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 8:06pm
So what did you get Dave?

Have spoken to Pigs we will be out 2moro after low tide, so not out early...wind should have dropped by then...we have a few options on the cards.

All goodClap

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 8:12pm
good luck al... you'll need it... pig will have all his bananas , ginger nuts and hot coffee... celebrating his new job..........so little time for fishing.... give us a shout ......hehehehehe... waving SBClap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 7:27am
Come on Pig and catchelot.... wakey wakey.... coffees on and it's time to hot the water.... have a great day boys....wavingSBClap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 9:16pm
The phone rang early...I didn't hear it, I got up, made a coffee and checked the messages... It was Pigs, we were set, I quickly threw the gear in the car as it was all packed from last weekend's cancellation due to the weather.
A quick stop at Top Catch to buy some bait and a chinwag with Brown about where the fish were happening. And off I went out to the Heads, picked up Pigs half way and on to Urquharts Bay to meet Tony our Captain for the day.
Our Chariot and vessel for the day, what a beast!Clap
A txt from EKO/Dave and he wasn't far away, launching his vessel at Little Munro Bay.
Here is EKO, our safety and rescue number for the day.LOL
He did damn well trying to keep up with 180 horses of pure Roar!Clap

The day began with a slight Sou'Wester and we steamed out to 3 mile reef for a look around. A few boats were there and we found some sign and structure with some good contacts hugging the bottom which to us said, Snapper!. Thus the anchor was dutifully deployed and it was action stations. Baits galore, and Pigs on the SB. Bites were straight away and hookups but throw back Snappers prevailed. I managed a keeper of 30cm but thought nah they will be bigger and threw it back, alas they did not get bigger...LOL

I deployed a whole Pillie and was rewarded with a lovely John Dory, I was happy I got dinner!
A few more shifts and few more tries and we found the same throw back snaps, Blue Cods and baby Scorpian fish.

Eko decided to try in closer and have a look around Uretiti (nudist beachLOL) and Waipu areas and found a few workups but nothing much happened. We moved on to Fairway Buoy and found a few more throw back Snaps.

The wind dropped right away and the sea unfolded into a tranquil and peaceful calm. We decided to try the Tarakihi grounds.
Pigs was using SB and squids, Tony had Tarakihi flies...
Tony with the target species a lovely Tarakihi.Clap

Pigs finally got to christen and blood his new birthday prezzy with a few Gurnards, a lovely Pflueger reelClap

So a lovely day out from Whanga-Vegas harbour, a beast of a boat with adrenaline pumping Yams, good company of fellas, and good that EKO could join us too...A tough day on the fishing front, but we managed a humble feed, there was many boats out there and many on the move so one of those days that we be thankful and grateful for, and well, it keeps us coming back, that is; The Thrill Of The Wild..., Kia Kaha IkaClap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:11pm
Nice guys.

Even if you dont have the biggins, it would have been just nice to be out there.  Jealous....

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:16pm
nice one Al, good to see you guys got a feed out there....sounds like you had to work hard for it.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:21pm

uretiti aye i bet he was right in close Wink some good fish down there. hows the fishing out at the chicks at the moment?

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by OFF THE HOOK OFF THE HOOK wrote:

hows the fishing out at the chicks at the moment?

same as always, hot and cold

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:58pm
cheers brown, ive gotta get up there soon

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 7:02am
nice stuff... didn't realise that pigs dressed up to go fishing,,,, hehehehe well doneThumbs Up... waving SB

-------------

Posted By: tobez
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 8:00am
are the pillie boys working up there eden?...

-------------
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:13am
Mate I saw  Salty Dogs trawler and the other one going out last Saturday....

-------------

Posted By: hogdog
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:47am
was in the same area yesterday by the looks of the photos, I was out there a bit earlier on and the fishing was awesome, then someone turned the tap off and it was all over, biggest one I got was 4.6kg though and ended up with my limit on SP

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by hogdog hogdog wrote:

was in the same area yesterday by the looks of the photos, I was out there a bit earlier on and the fishing was awesome, then someone turned the tap off and it was all over, biggest one I got was 4.6kg though and ended up with my limit on SP

Well done for the morning. It was a hard day's fishing, boats were on the go all day trying to get a feed. Too bloody flat needs to be in the roughLOL & doesn't help getting out late in the morning.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by tobez tobez wrote:

are the pillie boys working up there eden?...
yeah mate

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 9:50pm
They F@#$ the weather forecast up for today didn't they..... I'm going to head out in the morning for a quick soft bait along waipu. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:18pm
good luck Dave, you may not need to head down that far mate....if i wasnt working tommorrow i'd be down there myself

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:39am
Just had more phone sex from EKO, I can't view his pics as the telecom server is down at present, but his txts say he so far has 5 in the bin, 5 - 10 pound Snappers... the buggar!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:19am
he's going to have to work sooner or later surely.... lucky buggar..... I want a job like his..... The admiral's a tough boss...waving SBThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: forsyth
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:40am
Can't wait to get back up there Trav - sound mint mate!
How's the landbased going?? And any sign of a good weather window yet? Super keen to come back for a few days!
Big smile

-------------
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:07pm
mate just wait until  this snotty stuff buggars off and it's  on\...... crays and fish being caught but the conditions are crap... will send you a PM when I reckon its on.... two days notice OK.... or more.... you are a worker unlike EKO who fishes at will...... hehehehe ClapWaving SB

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 4:32pm
Redemption today, left home before the sun came up shot over to the power station for a couple of drifts past the buoy, a few nibbles but no luck.

Went straight out to the 20-22 meter mark there was sign all over the sounder dropped the soft bait over wack whoohoo she's on first fish 5 pound's, still drifting a long wack 2nd fish 10 poundsBig smile ...then more and more and more.......5 fish in less than 5 min's.

So I just keep drifting down to waipu soft baits are getting nailed, the wind pick's up the fish are still running.

Time to anchor up & have a break....beer time, chuck a pilly on the rod bang..dam barr'ers are around. Oh well back up to the power station to dift back down again the fish are every where.

Happened to of lose some bloody good size fish, love to hear that softbait reel screaming its head offThumbs Up

Any color soft bait was working, nukes, & what ever else I was using. Catchalot should up load my photos I hope? my house camera is having a fit.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 6:44pm

Well done mate, and it was great to get a txt after every fish was caught whilst workin...Not!Cry

Hope the beer was warmLOL

Phone Pics below...Clap

The above has two tens two five pounders and some...

(I will be paid to add those comments and tell the audience eh Dave...ya skitin'*****LOL)

-------------

Posted By: ChchLivebait
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:02pm
Hey guys, comming up to Whangarei late next month for a few weeks, will be staying with family at Parua bay, any ideas for places to fish from the rocks or other land based areas. I will be getting on the water when my brother isn't working but really want to catch my first snapper, a real South Islander hereThumbs Up.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:25pm
Stuff the rocks bring your boat rod's up we can get you on the water, why walk when you can cruise.
 If you come out with me on my boat, half the size....Fishing for fun not for comfortWink

-------------

Posted By: ChchLivebait
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the offer, I am keen, I will borrow my brothers rods if I need some. PM me and we can swap numbers. This is my boat in christchurch.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:50pm
Chch, the good news is that EKO/Dave's on holiday as well - well at least that's what catchelot and I think given the number of texts during the week :(
As Dave said, PM your moby number and we are bound to get you out on the Briny!
Cheers
T

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:27pm
nice report eko that gurnard looks prety solid aswell mate

Posted By: hohepa2
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 11:41pm
Cool reports guys, keep it up, get out there and go hard when the weather alows...Clap

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 2:10pm
More phone sex from EKO the buggar Cry, they are drifting around Waipu area and off Power station 20 metres of water...

Results so far one 10lb, two 8's, a big JD and a few smaller snapper, all caught on the Nukes, it is a gusty SW and cold out there he reckons.

Well done lads, go hardClap

-------------

Posted By: Amateur
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:53pm

I'm jealous as. Approve

Thursday looks like a cracker, for those that can get time off work and are in the top half of the North Island. Cry

-------------
No half measures!

Posted By: rocko
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 4:14pm
he,s fkn mad the plikLOL i seen what the water was like up there this morning...beats working anyhowLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 4:54pm

More phone sex from EKO the buggar Cry, they are drifting around Waipu area and off Power station 20 metres of water...

Results so far one 10lb, two 8's, a big JD and a few smaller snapper, all caught on the Nukes, it is a gusty SW and cold out there he reckons.

Well done lads, go hardClap

Yes just got back in man it's cold on the water wearing shorts & t-shrits, but still we had a lucky day off so I asked the worker if he wanted to fish or work around home....
We would of been able to pick up a bin load of fish if the 15knots wasn't so strong , there are some good size fish around at the mo, I had to give me worker a 2 min heads up on how to soft bait, he lost the first fish with the line screaming out hard LOL, but after the next two fish he knew what to do great effort on his behalf.

Roll on Saturday looks like another break in the mid/winter weather.

The Jd came in at just 2kg's yummy.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:04pm
Gat a bloody job EKO!

Posted By: rocko
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 11:20pm
good one manThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 5:27pm
I caught a few fish yesterday, one of the Snapper Yday just over legal about 30 cms maybe 32...

Anyway upon carve up time I was stunned to see that it had roe and not tiny ones either, so what age do snapper reproduce?

I was told about 6-8yrs, and that a legal 27cm snapper was around 4-6 years old. And so for that reason I/We generally elect a no take on my boat or mates boats of 32-34cm.

This morning I had a quick weather window to put another hours running on the new Merc.
Timing wasn't the best as Grandpopa wanted to drag his new scallop dredge, whereas Nana said no she did not want to be part of the crew to reciprocate more scallops and a huge fight erupted... Nana won and stayed home, and I had to take grumpy ole Poppa out for a fishThumbs Down maybe this transversed and set off the Vanuatu TsunamiLOL

Anyway managed 2 Snaps for my folks. Ok only 30's (and lotsa throwbacks) but they will enjoy tonight... and these had the male white gonad bits happening on their insides this morning...

So to me this is interesting to note the breeding bits in these small fish of perhaps 6-8 years.

IMO 27cm is too small, 32 maybe...and of course when we have mint days then 40's are to small, and then 50 and some...

Small food for thought, I will have YMCA for tea tonight...Yesterdays Meat Cooked Again...LOL nah all in humour... yesterdays Gurnard for us.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 8:06pm
Sweet one Al at lest you got out today the weather looked great and the water looked even better were I was working, just got told by the owners I could park the boat up at there house & bugger off for a fish Tongue

It'll be a case of fish Vs Work for 3 weeksLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:59pm
An alledged 20 pounda Snapper was weighed in at Ruakaka Service Station, was caught at Waipu, so probably over the sand! Bloody well doneClap

Dave...have you heard anything else?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 3:48pm
Decided to make a late afternoon solo run having taken the kids to the rugger in the avro.
No burley in the freezer so just some pillies, softies (ahh yes, having shifted, it pays to check the tackle box - no jig heads and 1 worm hook...) and jigs (for work ups).
Shot out to a 25m spot and drifted inwards towards the golf course. Plenty of sign but not much in the way of bitie bitie. Got a small panny on bait that went back to the big fella.
Moved to a rock that has produced this time of year. Too much sign but all off the bottom by a bout 5m and lots of pillie schools. Wind had completely died away so drifting very slowly. Dropped some pillie chunks as burley and then the bloody birds turned up. Had to resort to plastic pellets to make them leave me alone.
Cyclops, baits and SBs here for a few touchs and a couple of pannies (30-35cm). Being the optimist, put them back as well - DOH! But it was glorious - no wind, sun setting, the odd gloop as a gannet dived in - see photo...
So no luck there so into 14m and no luck.
Back to 20-25m.
Two small pannies at once and "Yuss! Its gonna go off". Put them back <= Dickhead!
Then the wind built, it got cold and there were no more fish. So headed home to score brownie points ("bring home chocolate please").\
Drinking beer by 21.45, smile on the dial Smile
Didnt see any workups, just solitary gannets piling in from height.
But damn, it felt GOOD!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 4:45pm
Went with a different mate yesterday as he wanted to see what the harbour was doing...

14 - 15 degrees was filthy and just bait fish and throw back snaps some legal but not for us.

We went from Munro, Reotahi, Tamaterau to Limestone.

So, not the best of a mish but awesome morning until the cold Sou'Wester got up.

Steve just txt'd he went Ruakaka area and 'Ole Woman today and nothing worth bringin home.

Oh well bad days are what keep us coming back...

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 10:55pm
Nice one Dave & AL......I shot out just after lunch left work early for the day with the mint weather.
We went over to waipu out at the 20-25meters & landed some nice 4 to 10 pound snapps, yip heaps of sign around we had to keep moving back up to the power station & drifting back down, just got under the quote for the two of us.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 5:45pm
Phone call from EKO he is heading to Waipu river mouth right now to have a drift until the sun goes down.

The fish (Snapper)  of the week out there caught off the river mouth, weighed was 12.75KG Awesome!

And I have to go to wifes work do tonight...CryCryCry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 7:32pm
Early mish tomorrow so will see how it goes

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 11:34pm
Illl txt you on the water dave, I just got of it came home for a quick feed and a sleep, back on the water at 5am, fish were biting well tonight with a few good bust off's

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 12:22pm
hey eko do you drift all the way from the powerstation to waipu cove?

Posted By: trickytune
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 3:32pm
Nice day out there today. Only had one hookup ended being 46cm trev for lunch caught on a 5" nuke chook. Just out of the entrance. Thats as far as I have been in my 12' tinny. 

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 4:31pm
we got 17 snapper and 12 gurnard this morning will post a report on monday when i can download the photos off my phone

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by OFF THE HOOK OFF THE HOOK wrote:

hey eko do you drift all the way from the powerstation to waipu cove?

Yes I do between the 20 to 25 meter mark.

Shot out at 5am this morning to meet the sun rising the fish were biting ever thing, it died down for a while, I was drifting all day until 3pm bought back  12 carrots 6 snapper from 18pound down, lost another lot of good fish with me using to many rod's at once.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 6:25pm
Good stuff guys, awesome effort, where are the pics Dave?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 7:30pm
towing the boat up next weekend staying in waipu, cant waitThumbs Up

Posted By: trickytune
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 7:40pm
For those poor fellas with no depth finder how far away from the beach is 20-25m deep? It looks like about 10km! Looking at LINZ chart and google earth. Is there a hole somewhere? 

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 8:26pm
Tricky,
If you get to fairway buoy, then anywhere heading towards waipu river mouth is 20+m deep. Fairway buoy is about 4km from number 5 buoy (by The Frenchman). 
Cheers
T

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 8:30pm

Pre measure a rope that you might have on the boat, like a burley rope and then that will give you an idea.

The old man fished Peach Cove and Oceans today and lost a very big snapper next to the boat.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 12:53pm
I guess some people have all the luck and good days come with bad as mates went at 5.30am yesterday, drifted all around the Power station and aroud Waipu so in all the good spots using both softies and kept changing baits and depths but only managed a few Gurns. And nothing at "ole Woman either...

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 1:43pm
Doug/Krow and I hit the water @ 600 and shot down towards waipu. Water was really dirty but we drifted around abit. Bit of soft baiting but mainly bloody baits. Krow got a couple there and then we moved back towards ruakaka. Every spot we stopped, Krow got snapper while I distracted the couda Angry Found a bog pile of birds sitting on the water and found lots of sign so drifted it a few times and I actually caught a keeper...
All the birds were heading out so we went out to the 35m mark between sail and waipu.
Proceeded to get a few keepers there + the odd couda.
Back home by 1330 with 14 fish. Nothing outstanding (all < 5lbish) but good fun and a beaut morning. Not much wind, sun (shirtsleeves even!) but started to get up just as we got in the harbour. Fish in the smoker now mmmm!
Where was the tect DaveWink

-------------

Posted By: Often Out
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 2:13pm
Headed out Friday morning with my wife for a fish off Ruakaka left 9.00am and back at 1.30 with enough for  a good feed and a couple for the smoker, she took her book to fill the time as she is not a fisher.
All fish were caught on soft bait as the smelly bait was not touched, the biggest one went at 560.

Posted By: Panga
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 2:53pm
What bait did you catch the cat on?

-------------
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.

Posted By: Buzz.
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 3:08pm
Nice one mate, what depth were you in?

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 3:48pm
Nice one NZT and OFten O good to see the local lads sharing info... Clap

snapper still over sand and perhaps following the pillies schools around eh?

-------------

Posted By: Often Out
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 7:29pm
              The cat only eats fresh offcuts,if it has been in the frig then its to old.

I fished in depths from 14  to   20 mtrs with offshore breeze.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 8:04pm
LOLLOLLOL the cat actually does look like its part of the killshot

often out where you drifting or anchored?

Posted By: Pigs
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:22am
Yo fellow rei rei crew,
had a mean fish friday arvo!!!!
we set out to just out off the old woman calm as hell droped our lines and bang as soon as we got to the bottom fish on this went on for two hours of beers and fish fun a good range caught but then the snakes came out to spoil our fun just as the snaps were getting bigger and the sun was dropping but all in all a good quick mission.  Cuta got 100m of my fireline brait too mate had it on his line and it sliced mine at the surface:(

-------------
ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU NEED FOR A FEED! DONT TAKE FOR GREED!

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:27am
Well done Pigs, some fine looking eaters there...

Looks like there was more drinkin than fishin though LOL

-------------

Posted By: Pigs
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 11:50am
yea well it was friday:)LOL

-------------
ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU NEED FOR A FEED! DONT TAKE FOR GREED!

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 5:06pm
good stuff....... see you out this way this weekend
waving....Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 5:52pm
Dam nice catch there pigs. I think we might of given away to many fishing spots over the last couple of months for the labor weekendersWink 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 3:38pm
Lovely sunrise this morning, Mike picked me up at 6am and we launched at Parua Bay, shot down the harbour and hyng a right and headed towards Ruakaka, spot x on the gps/sounder was a hole from 10-15m.

Not long with lines down I hooked a fat gurnard... pillies went out on floaters and even a few softee squidgys went out for a cast and twitch. A bit quiet lots of boats out here and tons of birds but all sitting spread over a very wide area, we went for a drive and found some fish sign right on the bottom, the odd baitfish school mid-water and gannets diving but spread out all over.

We did a few drifts, used baits and softees, a few more gurns a few more spots, found some wicked pilchard school sign on sounder bit patches from 3/4 to just below half the depth.

Eko was already out, we thought he may have kept going out to The Chics... but he was a few miles to the north of us and had gurns and a few snap in the bin...then he rang the bugger had just landed a 16 pounda!ClapClap

So away we went and met up with him, had a chat, took photos of his fish and then we did what he was drifting from 22m to about 17m and then go back and start again, and this was off the power station. So we did about three drifts until the tide reached the low and called it a day as the wind was also getting up by now. So we finished up with 6 Gurnard and 4 Snapper, two nights feeds for us so we are happy. A slowish day but great day.

And as he arrived at the beach his wheel bearing broke so the poor buggar had to ring and wait for a tow truck.

I bet you are majorly pissed Dave considering you only just fixed them...and had to go to Auck
land for them...Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 4:03pm
Mean Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 4:26pm
Headed out north of Waipu at 5.30am was slow but then the birds started working and managed to find a few schools, managed 13 snapper upto 5lb and 7 gurnard, was a good morning out and had a mate of mine who hadnt been out for about six months, he managed a few snapper and 3 birds, decided to let the birds go Big smile forgot the camera today so no pics

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 6:21pm
good stuff Ecko.... I can see that the big ones aren't scared off you down there.... wavingsbThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 7:50pm
nice going eko, we did alright lastweekend sun/mon 11am-3pm, from waipu cove to the river, 4 anglers caught 15 on sun, 9 on mon and a couple carrots eachday, all good size pannies up to 10lb. heaps of shortlived workups but we persisted and managed to pluck a couple off each workup, busted off by a few freight trains all in all good fun

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 12:18pm
Another great morning, Steve and Nick picked me up at 5.30am and we launched at 'Lil Munro Bay, shot straight out to the 22 line off the race course and commenced drifting.

Not long after the sun had touched the ocean and we had bites and a started getting a few snaps.

We did softees and bait, with pillies taking the first fish and softees as the biggest as Nick scored a top snapper, went 16.5 pound and he caught it on a $55 rod and reel from the wharehouse and I might add that he broke it in half after tangling with a rock in his kayak and so did a fine repair and continued to use it.

Well today it certainly delivered the goods. Was quite a battle and took him quite a while to get her up, she did alot of runs and head shaking all the way up, and what started towards the bow of the boat ended with her coming up behind us, it came dangerously close to the sea anchor at one point...with light nylon and all...and then it was like a quiet panic, what the hell are we gonna do, cos we did not have a net or gaff onboard!, I grabbed a rag and thought I could maybe get a hand in the gills as she lay on top upside really nice and calm, but I thought don't tempt fate and just grabbed it by the tail knuckle and held on for dear life with both hands as I lifted her up and swung her over the side...

So three drifts later and the wind was getting up, not as bad as it got to yestereday, but we had a chilly bin full, so we headed up the harbour into the calm and managed another couple...and were home by 11.30am...and have the rest of the day to do home stuff...Top MorningClap

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 1:37pm
nice work definatley plenty of fish there at the moment, males we caught yesterday were shooting there loads so spawning is started

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 2:52pm
Sweet fish AL....next time grab the soft bait jig head makes life a lot easier with no net.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 7:32pm
Shot out for a quick fish off Parua Bay this avro. Wind against tide so was sloppy and cold but we got 8 snaps to about 6 lb, loads of kahawai (most of which went back) and lots of yellowtail that are freezing as I type.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:04pm
nice fish... went out today didn't get a fish ... but we got a poacher

-------------

Posted By: Buzz.
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:42pm
...poacher?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 4:35pm
Nice report Catchelot, two days in a row slaying themClap

...lucky buggar cos I had to workCry

Sounds like Ruakaka is still firingClap

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 4:40pm
Good to hear that snapper are coming up the harbour eh NZT?

My mate got throw backs at Tamaterau markers last week and plenty of sign on his sounder, so can't be far before the harbour fires.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by smellybait smellybait wrote:

nice fish... went out today didn't get a fish ... but we got a poacher

What bait did ya use? Tongue

Print Page | Close Window