Yellowfin Q’s.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowfin Q’s.
    Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 10:29am
Master Jig Builder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G'day one and all.

As mentioned we are heading to NZ in January to fish White Island and other locations with kingies very much in mind.

I am told that there will be yellowfin around, so I was wondering if you can give me the heads up on them e.g. favourite lures, colours, average YF tuna size and so on.

I am sure some (if not all) of the US anglers on our trip will appreciate these details as they are keen to bust a few where possible.

Thanks in advance.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 11:01am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi ya Steve..

you have really asked several million dollar questions there mate!...not trying to put a dampener on things, but whomever told you that "there will be Yellowfin around" is a optimist!

Catch rates of YFT have been on a steady decline for the past 3 or so years...perhaps commercial pressure, perhaps just one of life's little cycles...whatever the case things have been grim at best!

In saying that I would love to be proved wrong and they do indeed return to the B.o.P. in numbers this season!..At that time of year YFT should be balling-up anchovies and pillchards...when this occurs jigs/irons, livies and dead baits all work very well!...otherwise trolling patterns of smallish (hatch matched) sized lures will often turn up the goods....as an added bonus marlin (striped, black and blue), Mahimahi and Shortbill Spearfish could also be on the menu!!

Refering to average YFT size...that is also a season dependant lotterey ...could be 30kg, 25kg or 20kg!...every year fish are taken up to 70kgs with quite a few reaching the 50-60kg mark...oh yeah, most seasons see a few Big-Eyes landed as well...100kg is not out of the question here!!

38kg YFT..Average this season?...I certainly hope so!!

"Dan Robertson with his 112.8kg Bigeye Tuna caught onboard Pursuit in the Bay of Plenty"

37kg Kingie anyone??...

or maybe one of these?? (198kg Northern Pacific Bluefin - World Record)
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 11:26am
Grant View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We in NZ are crossing fingers, talking to philosophers, reading tarot cards and seeking divine advice re predictions that the upcoming season will see the return of the YFT in numbers and size to the Bay of Plenty�.following a couple or three dismal seasons.

If you have been told that there will be YFT around in Jan, please advise who this principle pack attack predictor is, so we too, can gather some Intel for the upcoming season.

Basically apart from a brief early flurry of fish around the 40-50kg mark, the last season saw few fish, and average size was approx. 30kg or smaller. I think last year one of the best fish was a 68kg or so fish taken out of Waihau Bay during their competition.

We only managed 3 over 30kgs, all on Pakula�s (Lumo Sprocket and smaller Cockroach).

If they return in numbers, they will most likely follow the pilchards and anchovies, so livebaiting is generally used around meatballs etc�

As for lures these tend to be smaller types and no doubt others will chip in and put you onto some proven lure/colour providers.

Cheers

Grant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 11:31am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snap!!!....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 11:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Steve

By no means experienced but a regular winner has been a Yozuri Hydro Magnum in green/gold mackrel, run fairly close to the wash. This lure has done the business on yft and kingies. Biggest yft - 48 kg. Mate had a 65 kg on a small Black Magic pusher in dorado colour. Again, closest lure to the boat.

Seen CD 14 Rapalas in mackrel green/yellow take yft to 75 kg in Fiji.

Like Kerren and Grant said, hope for them but don't expect.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 11:53am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's an absolute beauty of a bigeye Kerren!  DON'T tell me it was caught on that puny little rod in the holder behind it???? (grin)

Overall what was the Marlin season like last summer?  Us overseas guys heard about Alan Jorion's 1000# Black but not really a lot else.   I did ask about the Blue Marlin fishery a while ago but didn't get many replies. 

cheers dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 12:15pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am not %100 what that bigeye was caught on Dustin!...I think the target species was albacore, so very possible was that outfit or similar..will see what else I can find out about the capture!

I haven't seen a complete round-up of last summers season and numbers as yet..I will give you all the facts and figures once the record books are issued by the NZBGFC!

From my observations, I would say last season would have fallin' into the "only average" catagory! The billies were not holding in any one particular area for long enough to get the numbers, that coupled with many days suffereing adverse weather conditions saw the fleet tied up during peak times!

Top honours boat, Primetime, managed 104 marlin (98 stripies and 6 blues) for the season..Primetime's biggest blue was 276kg I think!!...There has been one big-lass go over the 1000lb mark in recent history...there isn't really enough data to create a good picture of what is really going on out there...It does seem that captures of blue marlin are on the up, whether this is becuase more boats are going further to the warmer currents or there is indeed an increase is still yet to be seen!

There also seems to be more Blacks being caught as well?...

Grant...do you have any facts from Waihau?

I will post the details of last years season when I have them in hand!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 2:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the great info so far. As for my source, sorry I cannot reveal that given the secrecy act and numerous documents I have had to sign in order to conceal the identity of the "fishing oracle".

At this stage, and given the slant towards smaller lures, and mostly off the short corner I suspect, it seems to me that 3 oz Hot Smoker feathers in several colour patterns will more than do the job.

Keep the news coming if there are more thoughts to add.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 3:25pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Whilst not arguing with any of the foregoing (that's what I would put out targetting YFT), my best YFT (55.4kg) was caught on a Pakula Lumo Sprocket on long rigger picked out of a spread of other 12inch marlin lures! As evidence of any statistical standing of no value at all, I grant you. I recall at the time being a bit peeved it wasn't a marlin - feeling didn't last long when we realised it was of reasonable dimensions.

Obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 3:44pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steve, Do not fear, all the Y.F.T in the Bay of Plenty are waiting for is the sound of Hot Demon Jigs hitting the water! 

But seriously, full marks for original lure design, look forward to the day you start producing Marlin lures.  All the best,

cheers dustin

ps. Not being silly.  But has anyone monitored catches of Skipjack vis a vis catches of Albacore and Y.F.T? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Master Jig Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 4:33pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that Obald. Lumo skirts and lures seem to account for their share of fish too without a doubt.

Was the day overcast?

Well Dustin I cannot wait for these little devils to hit the water either. After their performance on the US west coast this summer, and the unsolicited feedback from clients, I know these boat stopping feathers will find the tuna in NZ if they are around.

Might even bring across a couple of the 8 oz Gamefish Specials and see what the fin make of them. They make the YF down Cabo way cringe with fear I am told.

Marlin lures, no we won't be going their per'se. To many good lures around already.

What I am playing with though ( and which will not see the light of day for months to come) is some lure heads made from bone with inlaid mother of pearl eyes.

Skirts will then be up to the angler.
Burnin Thumbs!

Steve Badman
Master Jig Builder - Oz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 4:57pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

R.I.P   

Corelation between numbers present?....only my own observations and without any real data to back me up...but I reckon there is a direct link! I hope this is a changing currents scenario and not the possibility that they are being taken out of the equation before reaching NZ's coast!...Anyone notice what the baitfish (achovie/pillchard/saurie) population is up to?...Last season I heard and saw many work-ups (some reported acres of bait) up and down the coast but few contained predators...mainly dolphins (mammals) and birds!..Does it seem strange that these baitfish, that can only arrive and depart with the currents, are still making it here in large numbers?

how many seasons in a row can we say "oh! we are just having another bad year"?

Sorry 'bout all the doom and gloom"...but I don't think we can pretend much longer!

Super seiners with fast sinking nets ARE working areas not far from the NZ EEZ and places like Fiji!...Surface longliners are setting 1000s upon 1000s of hooks every day/night...Pair seiners are towing their nets right up and through spanwing areas...anyone else get the picture?...

IMVHO...highly migratory species like the tunas don't stand a chance!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 5:47pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Steve,

Day in question very bright actually but very windy (26-28 knots) on the edge of a huge high. Not a comfortable fight in a 6.5m boat!

Obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 10:08pm
John Campbell View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There have been 3 poor seasons for YFT in BOP. If they turn up be in quick. eg they have shown in the past in November for a few weeks & then virtually disappeared. A lesson I have learn't the hard way!

Bermagui in Australia up to about 10 yrs ago as I understand it enjoyed great YFT fishing. In BOP of plenty we continued to enjoy good fishing until 3 years ago. I find it difficult to believe that we can continue to enjoy good YFT fishing when the population is demise in other areas close by (eg Australia). I really really hope I am wrong here but it seems to me that we are talking about a YFT sport fishery in trouble in the southern hemisphere and it maybe that it is just that things have caught up with us here in NZ?

Nevertheless I am hoping they turn up in the BOP in force this season. Comments on lures etc to use to catch them has been covered. Not really that much to it.......just need some YFT to attend.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 1:56am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Steve, don't be too modest!!! and don't be too intimidated either by the big hitters...it wasn't as though there weren't good jigs and stuff out there before Demon Lures came along...

The reason I ask about Skipjack is that if you're seeing an up swing in S.J.T catches coinciding with a downswing in Y.F.T and Albacore catches it could indicate a warming water trend.  Maybe also helping to explain Blues vs. Stripes and so on.   But, it's true there is an awful lot of commercial effort for S.J.T and yellowfin in the western Pacific.  I spoke to a commercial seiner once and he told me about making sets unseen under flotsam at night, finding that the Y.F.T. underneath were undersize and having to dump 100 tons of juvenile fish.  If plenty of this goes on that's entire generations of Y.F.T being destroyed on their spawning grounds. 

cheers dustin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 7:35am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you think we are alone in declining pelagic numbers then check this discussion out!

re: Southern Cali!

SoCal marlin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yutaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 10:22am
Yutaka View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hmmm...

Not so encouraging news about the YFT down there.

Up here in So Cal, we have had a dismal YFT season locally so far.  What I mean locally is within 150 miles of San Diego.  Usually by mid-August, we see smaller 10 to 20 kg show up in the offshore waters, but we have yet to see but a few incidental catches. 

However, the islands farther south such as Guadalupe (240 miles south) have seen an excellent grade of yellowfin.  What is disturbing is the apparent lack of juvenile fish showing up for the one and two day fleet.

The season is far from over and we are still hoping for a late season snap, but last year's counts were very low as well.  The sportfishing fleet out of one landing reported 2,620 YFT for the 2001 season,  which is only a small fraction of the 45,074 reported for the year 2000.

However, this drop in YFT counts correlates with an increase in Albacore catches.  When you combine the counts from the 2 species, the total has remained relatively steady for the last 5 years.  

As far as what we'll see when we get down there in January, we'll just keep our fingers crossed.    This group seems to be charmed on the vast majority of trips, so we'll just hope the mojo's working on this trip too.