YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports

Page  123 32>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports
    Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:11pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What better to do when you've finished up at work and have nothing planned... Syd who we've affectionately nicknamed Squid... popped in at the shop after work (across the road @ AA)

"Hey John, You gona go for a squid fish tonight bro?" he queries in his thick Africans accent... Yep, just let me finish up with the my customer and we'll head off... the tides almost high... get your gear ready hurry up! I say bossily

don't think he heard cos he was out the door real quick!  LOL

With the weapons of choice we headed for Mission Bay next to Kelly Talton's

It's important to get the right weight, at the moment if your casting in from the shore line on a full tide and then through the outgoing for an hour or so you will need to use a 3.0 max and often a 2.5 as the water clears and gets shallow.

They were biting after the first few casts, a couple small ones went in the bag and then went quiet for 20 mins but then it was all on again... while i had my lure stuck behind one of the rocks Syd was slaying them Angry ha ha a bit of friendly competition is all good fun

Then was my turn to get into them so I made the most of the run

The light from the side of the road attracts the squid in along the edges while they feed and get ready for spawning. At night they don't mind the shallows and will come in right close to the rocks making them very accessible for those who have a soft bait rod or egging outfit. I use a rod designed for this type of fishing and my reel is a dedicated Daiwa egging reel.. these are low line capacity... however any light softbait reel will do the trick!

The Squid are in for feeding and spawning and will be prolific over the coming months... some nights one colour jig will work well and other times anything seems to work.  having a range of sizes and colours is the way to go... some types of lures do work consistently better than others and finding that one can often be the difference between catching one or two and your mate getting hammered... as i found out tonight lol

We'll  have to get out there again Syd... that was awesome mate!

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NooB_Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:15pm
NooB_Fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice report John. Can i kindly ask how you get on to those rocks as the wall is actually quite steep? and don't the rocks get completely covered by water at full tide?
And if you don mind me asking, what rig you using? Just tie the jigs at the end of line? Any swivel? snap swivel? Thanks ^^
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:39pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

might have to go get me some tomorrow for sunday's compWink
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:02am
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yea boi go get em!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 5:54am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:30am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NooB_Fisho NooB_Fisho wrote:

Nice report John. Can i kindly ask how you get on to those rocks as the wall is actually quite steep? and don't the rocks get completely covered by water at full tide?
And if you don mind me asking, what rig you using? Just tie the jigs at the end of line? Any swivel? snap swivel? Thanks ^^

that's true the rocks are often covered at high tide... find the spots with steps leading to the water or the ramps at the boat club to be good when it's like that. Then when the water subsides a bit you can fish off the bricks

I'm tying a very light trace to my braid... say 10 - 15lb around a meter long and then with a loop knot the squid jig.

We have just started stocking the Varivas egging range of braided lines which have been developed for casting light lures and gets great sink rates

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:35am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Epic Epic wrote:

Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

Primo Carl, you'd have bucket loads of squid down there! need to get you some Squid jig mate... was lucky getting that one up on a softy lol they usually fall off. That was quick thinking though... and paid big dividends too Clap

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:40am
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is awesome never knew you could catch squid that way.Is there a catch limit as am keen to have a try as it looks like fun.
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NooB_Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:26am
NooB_Fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thx John, I still saving money for my squid gears =P 

Screaming Reels, I think the limit is 50 squids / day ^^ They are bloody good to eat when they are fresh. Try it sashimi way! Gluk LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:41am
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice report John and trust that all is well with you. I had my first quick go at squidding off Ammunition Jetty over here in Perth yesterday evening. No luck for me but the guy beside me got 4 in 30 minutes so they are around. I will just have to watch the locals and sus out how it is done. Nice to wet a line though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:27pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by betterthanwork betterthanwork wrote:

Nice report John and trust that all is well with you. I had my first quick go at squidding off Ammunition Jetty over here in Perth yesterday evening. No luck for me but the guy beside me got 4 in 30 minutes so they are around. I will just have to watch the locals and sus out how it is done. Nice to wet a line though!

Sweet, yeah it's quite big over there now... when you get your first it'll all start happening for you Thumbs Up
good to hear from you Al

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tiger Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:01pm
Tiger Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Epic]Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

Is that Magnum Pi?
I only fish with Jigstar rods!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:08pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice stuff love catching squid, specially those big off shore mothers, come on Carl they complain when you use jig gear to live bait mateLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shut up and fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:24pm
Shut up and fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would you get them in wellington harbour aswell   
Gidday Mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:24pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats the scenario, you cast out and slow?, fast? retreive.
Looks like cool fun, might take the young fella out for a looksee, he'll love that
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went to Stirling Sports at Manukau today all they had in they way lures was the 4gram weighted 1s after reading the tips on squiding at the YeeHaa website decided was to heavy so i gonna have to pop into the YeeHaa store i feel and buy some of you guys. Introduce myself and hopefully bleed you dry of all your knowledge Wink
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:11pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hehehe went out last night again with the boss and the puppy dog. got 5 in hour and half fishing. squid ring ..yummy

photo take by cellpohne..not the best shots..Big smile

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:15pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice Tony.  Can't beat a feed of fresh squid.  Might be up this week you might have to take me and show me some secrets!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

You going again tonight by any chance ?
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:33pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depends on the weather. if its not raining. to be honest its easy to do. Just drive along Tamaki dr stop at Kellys and have looks. there are heaps for guys squid fishing there.Wink

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Page  123 32>