YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports

Page  <1 2728293031 32>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 5:02am
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello super squid fisherman YeeHaa

At the moment I am in Turkey and no squids around anywhere. But I see that in NZ you are really lucky.
I am back in NZ for 6 weeks in November! Sorry, yes, November only. But I would be very glad to go for squid then if there is still a chance from the shore.

I have a motorhome and head from Tauranga north to the bay of islands. So I pass Auckland and it seems it is there where most of the squid are caught.

Can you help me in any way. Whereever I asked around Tauranga there was hardly anyone who knew anything about squidfishing. But I just love it.

Kind regards
Roland

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:51am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do any of you fish for squid around Whangaparaoa area?

I recently moved up there and am having trouble getting onto any squid, would be great if I could tag along with someone who has some success in the area?

Cheers!
Patrick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:52am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi

Yes, Whangaparoa has some good spots for squid fishing.

Army bay and Shakespear park are popular spots.

Local people should know some good areas too.
Plus try google map and find weed areas, most of weed areas should hold some squid.

cheers

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

I have tried gulf harbour a couple of times, and Army bay and the rocks to the right of little Manly beach, haven't even seen a squid. Was chatting to a chinese guy at little manly who was using a float with a 1m trace under it, he said this winter has been very slow so far in whangaparaoa. I am going to try shakespear one night this week if the rain is not too heavy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:38am
Titanium
Titanium

Finally some success, fished the left side of Te Haruhi bay (Shakespear) last night over the low tide. Caught on a Yamas hita 3.0 in pink. Then a couple of seals showed up to spoil the fun, scaring all the fish away...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Telecaster, particularly as the moon phase isn't a recommended on for the squid. Good on you for the persistence. I've had a very tough season with the squid, fishing from shore. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but one or two makes a trip worthwhile and a great feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

What is a good moon phase for squid? I am planning on hitting Shakespear a few times next week at low tide. I need to find a high tide spot. Most of the rocky points around Whangaparaoa are not accessible at high tide. Might give Gulf Harbour another go at high tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 2:05pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just before new moon i find the activity increases. they say full moon is bad but i have had some great hauls
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 3:24pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A few days before the full moon is best, Bright moon and clear water is the go on squid almost the opposite of snapper. Strangely though I have found that right on the night of a full moon it is dead as, even after good catches on preceding nights. Breeding maybe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

I was fishing in close to Tiri on a mates boat last weekend and put a ledger rig over with a couple of squid jigs instead of hooks, came home with 4 nice squid. The rod holder was enough motion to get them to bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:06am
Titanium
Titanium

Had a good session last night at Manly, caught both of these on a black magic 3.5 in pink.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
Titanium
Titanium

New PB squid, caught on black magic green\red 3.5. Also got a couple on Yo Zuri 3.5 natural gold\brown. All caught from the kayak in daytime near leigh.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:07pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello Telecaster

Thanks for the information. We arrive in New Zealand next Sunday, Nov. 5th. And about a week later want to go squidding. Good idea with the kayak. We did that last week in Thailand for sandfish in a waterdepth of about 2 - 3 meters on sandy ground in Kanom
Where about is "leigh"? I it possible to rent kayaks there or it also possible to go for squid from the shore?

Kind regards

Roland

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Am coming up to Auckland today and was thinking about going for a jig around Kelly Tarltons. Are they still around or is there not much point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:18pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't had much luck lately down there. You would be better off heading a little further north to Takapuna or Murrays Bay I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Great White Aussie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:53am
Great White Aussie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by NooB_Fisho NooB_Fisho wrote:

Nice report John. Can i kindly ask how you get on to those rocks as the wall is actually quite steep? and don't the rocks get completely covered by water at full tide?
And if you don mind me asking, what rig you using? Just tie the jigs at the end of line? Any swivel? snap swivel? Thanks ^^
Down in the South (Adelaide), I use 8 lb braid with about 1 metre of 15 lb fluorocarbon to a small egi snap.

That way I can change Jigs over very quickly, especially if they are finicky.

Cheers

You can't BUY HAPPINESS, but you can BUY a new FISHING ROD, and that's pretty much the same thing !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good session off the rocks at leigh this evening, 9 between 2 anglers. Lots of visual strikes right at our feet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great local session on Tuesday night, couple of big ones and a couple of average ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 11:10am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Off leigh wharf or the rocks out there? Looks cool,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 8:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Off the rocks on the edge of the harbour mouth.
Page  <1 2728293031 32>