With age comes wisdom !

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:24am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So on the subject of cuts and healing ... 

I managed to slice my foot early Sunday evening when I saw a 6m+ hardtop and two tractors stuck on the beach.  The crew there seemed to have:
a. tried to retrieve on the soft side of the beach at low tide
b. mucked around for ages and let the sand wash out from under the trailer and first tractor
c. continued to muck around and had the same thing happen to the second tractor (they had tried to pull the whole lot out rather than take the boat off the trailer etc.)
d. been pulling straight rather than on an angle to get one side out at a time.
e. bouncing and riding on the clutch of one tractor -  likely to stuff it

So I went to give them a hand - it was the local boat club tractors so I was familiar with them. Went to jump on a tractor and managed to get my bare foot on the wrong part of the step so ended up with a gash that needed six stitches so that was the end of my attempt to help ...

Anyway, back to healing: The doc and nurse at A&E were impressed with what I had managed to do!  Both said that different parts of the body heal at different rates.  Head wounds = 5 days, body/leg = 7 days, foot = 12+ days (because of thicker skin and as it is hard NOT to use a foot).

The nurse that changed the dressing on Tuesday said the same thing.

Pics from Sunday (the nurse took them for me so I could see what I had done):

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:35am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Ouch !! no doubt it bled a lot ... how did you keep the sand out of the wound ?

Guess it promotes considerable empathy for the unfortunate youngsters that stand on broken glass hidden below the sand !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 10:47am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is nasty.
Bad luck. Easily done. Every day will be a slow one for a while. Amazing how debilitating these things are.
I know the tractor problem - we have same every summer. So rather than use club tractors (which I pay for in subscription) I use my own. A few weeks ago one (non)member wrote one off - dropped the nose over an edge and drowned the front. Our newest tractor too. Write off. Then his mate took our 2 nd one to try and pull it out - similar story to yours, and nearly got that stuck on incoming tide. Idiots every summer.
I gashed my knee a summer or so ago - the duck plate on back of my boat bashed down on it while pushing it out to launch in the surf. Took a chunk off above the knee - more stitches.
Managed to wrap it in gladwrap that evening and get out to the cray pots.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 12:45pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hey Alan ... looks like someone has beaten you to that 240 kg marlin caught not far off the HB coast ... nevertheless they reckon its' big brother is still out there in anticipation of your return!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 1:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't worry Bazza - we are cooking plans. That was caught about 30-40k north of us. We still plan to be the first for our area and fishing club.
There have been several sighted/hooked in the last week.
Normally one or two a season. And this is mid Jan!! Woohoo.
A few days ago one of my crew took his boat out to our 40k spot. There were about 4 other boats there - from beaches further north. My mate trolled home most of the way - but only hooked some albies.
3 of the other boats must have trolled home to their place of origin - and  reported encounters with marlin. One was lost at the boat.
Now while we hatch plans and buy up stocks of fuel, we must wait for the 6m swells predicted to go.
Meantime we wait for the southerly to go, before the E swells get here. After that.......... Thunderbirds are GO.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 4:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bazza - yes it bled a lot (didn't hurt though!  The pain came later when the doc was injecting local anesthetic before stitching). I managed to keep the wound itself off the sand by hobbling along with my heel down and toes up then up to a tap by the ramp to flush it with fresh water.  

It turns out the local A&E at Red Beach has a special rectangular bucket specifically for soaking feet in to get sand out ...

I guess the timing of this could have been a lot worse.  I sold the old boat last week and don't get the new one for another couple of weeks so not being able to get my foot wet is not a big deal at the moment (and the forecast winds and swell mean I won't feel like I am missing out on much I guess)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 4:36pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perfect timing PM.
Could have been worse - glassy sea etc.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:45am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Bazza - yes it bled a lot (didn't hurt though!  The pain came later when the doc was injecting local anesthetic before stitching). I managed to keep the wound itself off the sand by hobbling along with my heel down and toes up then up to a tap by the ramp to flush it with fresh water.  

It turns out the local A&E at Red Beach has a special rectangular bucket specifically for soaking feet in to get sand out ...

I guess the timing of this could have been a lot worse.  I sold the old boat last week and don't get the new one for another couple of weeks so not being able to get my foot wet is not a big deal at the moment (and the forecast winds and swell mean I won't feel like I am missing out on much I guess)

In the interim PM & you fancied a trip out I have several pairs of chest waders you could borrow ... as am about to launch a new venture called "Memorable Charter Trips"

Maybe we could form a new division of forum members that have been wounded in action similar to the "Purple Heart" vets however must admit Purple fingers, toes or feet does not have quite the same ring to it !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 8:13am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

It is almost a fortnight since the unfortunate event but am pleased to say the injury has healed completely ... all ready for the next
drama.

Hope your injury is recovering well also Phantom even tho it appeared to be more severe.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:23am
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah it is healing well so far thanks Bazza.  I've managed to keep it dry and infection free.  Stitches are due to come out Friday morning. (I think I have earned the Purple Foot medal).

Glad to hear that your hand is better!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:38am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe you guys should go fishing together?
What could go wrong?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Maybe you guys should go fishing together?
What could go wrong?
Alan

And leave the gopro running for the day.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bahaha that could be funny.  

Bazza you can be boatman and drop me off for a drift dive on a kingy pin (as long as you pick me up at the end of the drift and don't run me over ...)

BTW I wasn't even fishing when I cut my foot - just out for an evening walk ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:11am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Count me in despite sounding a tad risky ... for you that is.

Hows about a shark drift ... could video it & you may even get a chance to feature in a "bit" part
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

Places like Shearers Rock are loaded with bronzies at this time of year so a shark dive is easy to arrange.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Places like Shearers Rock are loaded with bronzies at this time of year so a shark is easy to arrange.

OK ... I will bring the buckets of berley & plenty of band aids !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

:) Don't need buckets of berley there.  Shoot a kingfish and they will show up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:39pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hooked into a legal size kingi at Shearers rock on a 6 wt fly rod many years ago ... tip of the rod was bent well under the water & I swear even the butt was bending !
Page  <12