FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter fishing in Tauranga harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter fishing in Tauranga harbour
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 9:05am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
I'm Ohope based but the surfcasting action from Matata to Ohiwa is a bit sad at the moment so I'm thinking of coming over to Tauranga this weekend to do a bit of fishing in the harbour depending on what the action is like over those ways.

Anyone been fishing TGA harbour lately? I'm guessing the snapper have already vacated the harbour, what about the kahawai?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:21pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 803
The harbour action has been pretty crap in my opinion in Tauranga since lockdown too. I can only speak for daytime fishing, not night time. Getting a feed during the day has been HARD work recently, and twice I have caught nothing at all. I have bagged a few kahawai at sunset but the bite doesn't seem to stay on long.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:51am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

The harbour action has been pretty crap in my opinion in Tauranga since lockdown too. I can only speak for daytime fishing, not night time. Getting a feed during the day has been HARD work recently, and twice I have caught nothing at all. I have bagged a few kahawai at sunset but the bite doesn't seem to stay on long.


Yeah winter fishing is slow in most places.  I'm moving over to Tauranga in mid-spring so I'm hoping it will pick up by then.

I'd be happy with just a kahawai for the smoker, but a couple of snapper would be alright.



Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 12:37pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 06 Sep 2015
Location: Papamoa
Status: Offline
Points: 3066
Kahawai are usually plentiful during the colder months. In previous winters I've caught gurnard, snapper, kahawai and trevally in the harbour with kahawai being the most abundant. For land based snapper at this time of year I'd be giving the entrance a go. There's recently been some good catches of gurnard from surf casting along Mt beach and Papamoa.
Top 10 finish
2021 Grunter Hunter.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 1:30pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 803
Kahawai are USUALLY plentiful and bigger in winter in the harbour in winter, but I am finding it tougher this year. Is anyone else also finding it tough in the harbour?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:08pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Kahawai are usually plentiful during the colder months. In previous winters I've caught gurnard, snapper, kahawai and trevally in the harbour with kahawai being the most abundant. For land based snapper at this time of year I'd be giving the entrance a go. There's recently been some good catches of gurnard from surf casting along Mt beach and Papamoa.


That's a good mix of species.

I'm not one for crowds, which is why I like night fishing, not so many people around. Do you know of any secluded places around Tauranga harbour where I could discreetly cast a line?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 4:16pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Kahawai are USUALLY plentiful and bigger in winter in the harbour in winter, but I am finding it tougher this year. Is anyone else also finding it tough in the harbour?


It might be awhile before anyone answers. I had to wait 5 weeks before the first person answered my post, which was you.

While we're waiting, do you know of any secluded places around Tauranga harbour where I could discreetly cast a line?, somewhere there is not too many people around? I like to fish in peace.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:16pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 803
Land based or in a small boat?
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:32pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 06 Sep 2015
Location: Papamoa
Status: Offline
Points: 3066
If you're night fishing, I'd think that most spots around the harbour will be secluded at this time of year due to the low temperatures.
Top 10 finish
2021 Grunter Hunter.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:20am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Land based or in a small boat?


Land based.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:22am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze


Joined: 28 May 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

If you're night fishing, I'd think that most spots around the harbour will be secluded at this time of year due to the low temperatures.


Yeah that's true.  I know I asked about winter fishing but I also plan to move over to TGA in spring and fish through summer when people activity picks up a bit.  So I might need some secluded spot or spots.
Back to Top
Forum Jump
Forum Permissions View Drop Down


This page was generated in 0.223 seconds.