Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 363738
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 4:39pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wanted to pick brains around fishing in New Caledonia.

Has anyone fished?

I know about the bonefish in Poingam/Poum area up in the far north. But I can't find any contact details for the Relais de Poingam which where I've seen things based. Does anyone know how viable/acceptable DIY is here. I seem to remember looking into this several years ago and reading about people being chased off flats by angry Kanak. There are apparently guides - anyone know how to contact?

What about the rest of the island for bones, permit and other flats species, there do look to other flats like areas - how do they fish.

And what about land based fishing beaches and the lagoon? 

I guess I am wondering if its a suitable destination for a non-fishing specific holiday that would provide some opportunities for a day or 2 of DIY exploring + maybe a guided day or charter 

Any insights appreciated.

John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

John, as I understand it DIY fishing in the north is not a good idea. There are some areas in the south that people do fish DIY, but I'm not too sure on specific details. A strong grasp of French will be needed wherever you go. Hopefully someone with some recent experience in New Cal will chime in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 6:48am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bushkid (version 1, 2 or...?) has done a bit up there from memory, would be worth picking his brains I reckon.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 8:30pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I see some pretty big Bones coming out New Caledonia, Probably some of the biggest caught ones i,ve seen. The Natives seem a little more hostile than the friendly cook island locals though. Huge Bonefish Landed Off New Caledonia – Total Fishing (total-fishing.com)
Page  <1 363738