Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 3334353637 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:37pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Getting stuck in Aitutaki, yep, won't complain about that.
Will post some pics on the forum for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:15pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Only 264 hours to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha I had to Google how many days that was
I've got a couple of mates there at the moment and they're doing very well. The bones seem to be numerous and keen. Covid has been good to them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 7:47am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go well Will! (I'm not even going to try and calculate the days before we go up... its in Jan 22...) Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:58pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh man, wish I was coming along this time...can't wait for the reports though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, 
My wife and I are potentially planning a trip to Aitutaki in Oct.

Do any of you have preferred accommodation that you would recommend. 

Ideally something that would suit a non-fishing partner as well.

Also is there a preferred area for access to DIY fishing for bone and other species or are they well distributed throughout the lagoon? I will try to book a day or 2 guided with Itu but would want to be able to fish easily near to where I was staying as well.

Cheers

John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 12:21pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anywhere on Ooto beach will give you access to diy
Options range from around $100 a night to $1200 a night so a fairly wide spread.
One option is there are some houses on Ootu beach you can rent for around $350 per night. You will have bones on your front doorstep by foot and access to further flats by kayak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:55am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just had an amazing 6 days on one foot island with Silvio. We owned the flats. Beautifull weather and the big bones smashed us and allured but we got half a dozen each out there. A new moon is on the way and the bones became quite predictable as to where they would be and when they would be hungry. I suffered many unfortunate mistakes, bird nested lines on take off and just silly stuff that was mostly user error and a good example of how you have to bring your A game to get those big guys i caught bones with a rod, with a bit off a rod and with no rod at all. My highlight was definitely hand lining in a nice bone from the kayak as my reel decide to lock up. Being on the kayak acted like some drag as the bone was pulling me around whilst I pulled it in. I love this game. I will be back

Nice catch Silvio

Man on a mission

Flounder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff Will All the reports I'm hearing out of Aitutaki are that the fishing is running hot. Lockdown has been good for it. Hope you get into some of those big pre-spawn schools on the New Moon

And Silvio needs therapy for his fishing problem Has he become a permanent resident?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:45pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah just awesome mate, missing that place a lot! I'll be back at some point to finish some unfinished business with those bones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 7:43pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Craig yes we got some good schools hanging out on the point at one foot, Outgoing tides saw them running down Tekapoua  a couple of hours after hide tide. yes Silvio is getting plenty of therapy :). Lucky man is there till September.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 7:43pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha. Love it! A new sport That weather looks pretty damn nice too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 10:36am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's too funny Will, at least you got your rod back together other than someone else we know Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 5:05pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Outstanding stuff Will. Looks like you and Silvio got Aitutaki at it's best?

Sorry for the late response. My access to the forum locked up. Got it mostly sorted now 😊
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 7:11pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember casting a lot at a few of those fat ass puffers.  Darned things look just like a cruising bone at a distance when you are new to the game LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looks like Aitutaki is getting a new port. This will be a very interesting and fishy place once it's finished and the surrounding environment settles down a bit. A deep wide channel will let a lot more water flow in and a lot more GTs etc. There will even be a short time when there won't be too much coral! Hopefully, sometime in the dim distant future I might get a chance to visit that lovely island again. I'm sure the new wharf facilities will make a damn fine casting platform.

Arutanga Harbour Project
Share on facebook
FACEBOOK

Share on google
GOOGLE+

Share on twitter
TWITTER

Share on linkedin
LINKEDIN
Having now released the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report for public consultation on the Arutanga Harbour Project, the Cook Islands Investment Corporation (CIIC) is pleased to be able to move forward on this ambitious Aitutaki undertaking, with dredging work currently scheduled to begin next month.

Driven by CIIC, the Cook Islands Ports Authority (CIPA) and the Aitutaki Island Government, the central aim of the Arutanga Harbour Project is to improve the safety and usability of the harbour and port, allowing continuous flow of cargo to the island and safe passage for small ships, yachts and cruise ship tenders.

The shallow waters of the Arutanga harbour and channel entry, together with the limited land area available to safely and securely handle cargo, currently poses risks to lifeline services and port operations. Accordingly, the ultimate goal of the Arutanga Harbour Project is to improve the standard of the harbour to safeguard the wellbeing of the Aitutaki community.

The project will involve dredging the harbour channel to a depth of five metres and a width of 15 metres, stretching along the channel’s entire 980-metre length from the entry point to Aitutaki Port.

The three harbour basins will also be dredged to varying depths of 3-5 metres, so as to allow for the safe manoeuvring and berthing of barges and other vessels, and the port loading and storage areas will be extended and reorganised to meet international port standards.

Dredged material will be used to form causeways which will facilitate the removal of further material from the channel and inner basin areas.

These causeways will be removed once dredging of the channel and basins is complete and that material will then be used in land reclamation work around the port area and foreshore, for beach restoration, and also as fill for inland roads and other island government projects.

All dredging and reclamation work is expected to be completed within 12 months, allowing for expected delays caused by adverse weather during the cyclone season running from November to March. The current estimated cost of this work is $1.8 million.

Local knowledge, resourcing, ownership and leadership is a key component of delivering a government project successfully in the Pa Enua. For this reason, the Arutanga Harbour Project will be implemented by Aitutakians.

The project team’s heavy machinery operators are Vano Rima and Nga Teaukura, who are both highly skilled, experienced and Australia-certified in operating heavy machinery such as the 50-tonne Doosan excavator purchased for the project. This excavator and other purchased equipment will be transferred to Infrastructure Cook Islands upon completion, enabling significant cost savings on future projects in Rarotonga and throughout the Pa Enua.

The Harbour Project’s maintenance lead and relief operator is Lawton Story, who is a New Zealand-certified excavator and loader operator and qualified in automotive machining. Servicing and assessments will be carried out by Junior Manuela and Trevor Hemmingson, who between them have more than 50 years mechanical and servicing experience in New Zealand and Aitutaki.

Further local support will be engaged from the local private sector for various elements of the project. Leading the ground team is the newly appointed Works Liaison Michael Henry, supported by Project Engineer Ata Herman. Overall Project Manager is Romani Katoa, with oversight by Anne Taoro, CIIC’s Government Facility/Asset Development Manager.

“We are fortunate to have a project team comprised entirely of Aitutakians who are qualified and experienced to deliver this project,” said CIIC CEO Allan Jensen.

“Going on past experience there have been noticeable differences in the quality of project outcomes when delivered by the island, compared to those that are contracted from outside the community.

“The community expectations and pride can only be fully appreciated by the community themselves and this shows in the work they carry out.”

In addition to the excavator already mentioned, various heavy machinery items with customised attachments not already available via our local private sector have been purchased specifically for this project. By purchasing this machinery and equipment and refurbishing the island government’s existing machines, along with utilising local resources, work can be completed for a quarter the cost of contracting out.

The Arutanga Harbour Project has been in planning for close to 10 years, being a small part of the Orongo Development Masterplan which also features structural works at the port to improve resistance against the effects of sea level rise caused by climate change, as well as tourism-focused development of the port and marina.

Works completed to date include refurbishments to the port sheds, beautification and improvements to Orongo Park, and the construction of the fishing club and public toilet facility.

This masterplan was commissioned in 2014 by the CIPA and Aitutaki Island Council and is currently estimated to cost $18 million, with realisable economic development opportunities as a result.

Consultations regarding the plan have taken place over the years with stakeholders, relevant ministries, local businesses, traditional leaders and the community. Concerns that have been raised specific to the Harbour Project have been addressed in the EIA report and can be managed so that impacts are minor.

As work progresses, all relevant stakeholder groups mentioned above will continue to be kept informed of or involved in the project throughout its duration. CIIC is confident that we have retained the best personnel for the job while maintaining a high level of engagement form the island community and we now look forward to the successful completion of what is a landmark development project for the people of Aitutaki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 6:19pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes interesting to see what this may bring in regards to fishing possibilities, that area is a very good bone spot so lets hope keeps that intact.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:12pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ok the Islands are open in January. Not sure how that will work but nice to have bones on my mind again. 
Page  <1 3334353637 39>