FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <12345 35>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On my first bonefish trip to Anagada in the late 80's, I tied about 250 or so bonefish flies. Unded up using about a dozen and ahalf or so, if that many and caught heaps.

It's awesome Nick! As my late trout genius father in law used to say...."mighty are the preparations". Its half the fun I reckon.

Can't wait to hear reports
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:56am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Craig Worthington Craig Worthington wrote:

400 bonefish flies. You'll probably bring home three hundred and ninety six! Always good to have plenty of variety though Thumbs Up The tying frenzy and long awaited build up to any tropical trip is all part of the fun. I'm already getting myself sorted for October!

Nail head, hit Craig!Wink  

I reckon i tied around 60-80 flys for my trip to Aitutaki.  I think i lost 4 flies and maybe used 10 for the whole trip.  I reckon a small selection and a travel tying kit is what im taking next time!  Custom make the flys to suit each evening that way!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 11:14am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

400 flies, here's the rationale - 1 fly per fish. So there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 5:53pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

photos of fly box please,
I gotta see this,

man you been busy
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 10:57pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ditto all above and best of luck Nick!!

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:14am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

400 flies, here's the rationale - 1 fly per fish. So there. 

See, You're a thinker!!!!! Big smile
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I could write a book about the last 7 days but this pretty well sums it up.
Butch,s up and coming junior guide Patti leone with a very happy camper

If this what the cyclone season brought imagine what the windy season will bring, back in August.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That a great looking chunky bone right there. Sounds like you had a great time. Looks warm!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:32am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Warm was an understatement, this was one time i really did appreciate the wind :). 29/30 degrees, 7 days of sunny weather some clouds here and there but mostly fine.2 or 3 rain showers over the week. The north north/east wind made it tricky but we always found somehwere to throw a line. Was any where inbetween still to 17 knots. As usual the big ones allude me we saw groups of 4/5 bones on one foot and at least twice as big as the larger one i caught, got 3 in the end and the last two where cool though much smaller but poling down akaiami saw fish actually fighting for the fly.
Lots of close calls and lots of follows and even stabs at the fly with 100,s of shots saw an awesome week. Learned a lot this week, casting technique and bonefish ettiquette and fly selection.
Cant wait to get back.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Funny. We found them extremely difficult at Akaiami- visible, but mostly refusing to eat. Actually, the viz was a bit missed up by a surface breeze. I got so frustrated by the refusals from the grey shadows I was casting at that I wished I'd taken a mask and snorkel to make sure they weren't milkfish. I'm pretty sure they weren't - near the bottom and moving like a bone.

Fickle bloody things those bones. All part of the reason they get under your skin. Sounds like a great trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:36am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We found them diving at yellow clousers, I am learning there are some rules for catching bonefish but they alter depending on what the fish are doing so its like 10 options x 10 options = 100 options. Fish mood x tide x moon x clarity of water x depth of water x angler = 1 million options.
The yellow clouser showed the most interest and had them diving at it, and then the rest was up to the angler something I have still to master but threw at enough fish to see they where all wanting it not neccesarily the same. Just like the women i guess. between that and a gotcha I like Butchs theory of keeping it simple as it simply seems to work.
The big fish i got was also caught at Akaiami.
There where schools of milk fish on the resort flat and yes they are a different kettle of fish all together.
Lots of decent size trevally as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Will. You lucky bugger. I reckin that young girl has an amazing career as a guide ahead of her? I look forward to catching up with Butch again some day, and maybe fishing with Patti as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 12:41pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

"Schools of milkfish on the resort flat" - now that makes me dribble. I could easily waste a week throwing all sorts of wrong things at a school of milkfish like that and not catch anything!

Like your options maths... too true Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 3:08pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Will!! That's putting me in an absolute lather of bring it bring it bring it...

Adam, a while ago you asked for photos of fly box. Here they are. So far.

Still a few gaps, but I think the back of the tying job is broken LOL

I have to put a plug in for the Tacky fly boxes, they are excellent. Silicone slots instead of foam, really tough construction and tons of space. I'm taking four of them just for bones/triggers.

Finally, a cross between a wabnitz worm and a crazy Charlie... gotta break the monotony of bonefish fly tying by at least playing around...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what?
Is that it?
LOL

Nice work there,
Reckon that ill do ya !
What about ya GT stuff?
Poppers?
Crease Flys?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 10:39pm
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome bunch of bone flies Nick, are you taing any Merkins as well? I just arrived back in NZ and recieved a heap of materials from Saltwaterflies.com so will tie hard over the next few weeks while in Golden bay looking for ray riders/ snaps. I've been studying Dan Brown's bonefish flies book and a few others as well as following what the Aussies on forums have been using so heaps to get on with. I'm also interested in what your going to take for GT's, Duck/ Chook on a hook seems a popular one with aussies and i'll tie up a few Crease flies. What have you got in mind??
 Got a bit longer to wait than you, September for me, but man I can't wait to get there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dan19585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 9:33pm
Dan19585 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

400 flies between a couple of blokes is not excessive Nick. I would be taking a tying kit with me as well.
Xmas Island is not at all like Aitutaki. You will likely be getting eats from dozens of fish a day, and there is a hundred ways to lose a bonefish, and often the fly as well. Going through a dozen flies a day, through break-offs, broken or straightened hooks, or just flies getting destroyed, would be pretty standard.
Hope you have a great trip. The island is a dump, but the fishing is superb. Wish I was going too. Been a lot of years since I was there.
Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:31am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the feedback Dan, yeah I'll pack a basic tying kit to go with me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:32am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

what?
Is that it?
LOL

Nice work there,
Reckon that ill do ya !
What about ya GT stuff?
Poppers?
Crease Flys?

Posted GT fly photos earlier in the piece Adam; but have more to do in that space; just needed to clear the bonefish fly workload first because I'm going to run short of time in the near future with game bird season almost on us.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:48pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeez,
12 flys lost in a day!

Looks like ya gonna have ta ty another 400LOL
Page  <12345 35>