Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  123 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ
    Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 1:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The weather finally halted a good run of fun on the rocks I've been having lately. No great fishing happening but the weather has been so mild that it has been very enjoyable out there. Great to able to go fishing and not get sunburnt! Good to have son Ben(13) alongside on every outing too.

An ongoing run of big kahawai has been the main attraction. The only trouble is that we have been fighting for the best spots with school holiday tourists. So we went out to the open coast and tried there, but no kahawai and no snapper of any size. So back to the harbour rocks were we found more big kahawai and some nice snapper to 2kgs. Walking further than the tourists paid dividends and got us into some nice fish.

Finally that warm wind has bought the rain. Stuck inside now.

Anybody else get out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 1:27pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sev and I went out to Motutapu a coupole of days ago. we camped at Home bay with the idea to look for snapper around the rocks but weather and dirty water got in the way. Berleyed off the ferry wharf there and got some big (which now seems the norm) Kahawai and some average snapper. Boat fished just around the corner from there the day before and pretty much caught the same, Fish taken in 8m of water, fishing a clouser thing on a sink tip so they were coming well off the bottom to hit the fly. Plenty of fish everywhere at the moment. Just got my #8 weight back from repair so may have a little more fun as a #10 really is over kill for most fish around here. Nearly time for big snapper and big trout so time for more fishing effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been trying a popular waitemata spot last 2 days,
bait fisherman landing some horse kahawai,
me nothing,
thinking of trying some booby flys next time,
any tips on technique and flys for sucess ?
water is about 5 to 10 metres deep,
been using clousers,
a local crew informing me the best season is about to start with the big boys[snapper] coming in close.[change of light best bite time]

bit fustrating knowing those kahawai are there but not being able to intice takes.
any help appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:48pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fishbyfly, Unfortunatily berley seems to be the key if fishing where fish are not concentrated ( for me at least). You could always invite a bait fisherman to come with you and say you were not the one berleying.
 If using booby's etc, fish them just the same as you would for trout, on the bottom and a slow retreive... boring but effective. Soon will be a good time for bigger snapper, as the water temp drops the little ones move out and big ones hang around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers for the tip,
tryed cubed pilchards today,
gotta be my presentation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:22pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fish, your flies might be too big. Kahawai are often difficult. Particularly on guiding days. When they're tough I go down in size.. right down to size 8 flies. Makes a difference.

Also, the kahawai have been staying deep here. A local baitfisher cleaned up on a flasher rig with tiny strips of bait fished on the bottom. Sometimes the depth you fish is a big issue. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out today to the favourite reef for a couple of hours in the rain. Blooded the Sage on four small kahawai. Was going to target flounder but the tide was too high and the water was pretty dirty due to wave action from the Nor easterly. Must remember - ALWAYS take line tray/basket or the oysters will get your line in the blink of eye.
Also on the non-fishing days been doing fly casting practise at school next door. With the Sage I can chuck all but last 2m of a flyline now! Got to get my line hauling and trailing loops sorted ...Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 7:44am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No fishing, just tying, tying, tying, bring on Parengarenga Clap....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:38am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hooked into my first Waitemata harbour Kingi recently ( well two weekends ago )

Took the fly right at my feet - fish looked about a meter long or so. Peeled off 100 meters down current then came back in a large arc up onto the reef and busted me. Glad i got my flyline back!

Seriously outgunned on the 8 weight although might have been a different story if hed stayed away from the bricks. Landed a couple of nice snapper to 42cm as a consolation.

Hey Mark sounds like you got a new rod??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:31am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good stuff Troutzilla , thats inspirational - 420mm snapper is a worthy consolation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for tip craig

epic capture on kingy.

great to hear everyones storys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Jeremy,
Not a "new" rod, but it is is an RPL+ (8 wt) which I am finding to be a casting revelation after 15 years plus on my CD. The line speed is heaps better, appreciable even to a average caster such as myself, and the blank is definitely slimmer which is a distinct help in windy conditions such as Auckland is subject to. Now, just gotta to get past the 6 inch kahawai to something that will put a bend in it!LOL
Good to hear the snapper are still around, as well as the kingfish - was that your "off-side" reef spot where we saw one on our first visit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty-Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:04am
Salty-Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Nick - Is Parengarenga good through the winter season? Thx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:58pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Neil, I've only fished there a few times which is why its such a treat, those who know say its a good year around fishery and its coming into trev time...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
Gold
Gold

Hey Mark. Rod sounds great!

The Kingi was on the same side ie West but a little further along.

Saltfly we fished Parengarenga in may last year and got some nice trevally and a few snapper. There were loads of kahawai as well although no Kingis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty-Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:31pm
Salty-Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thx for Parengarenga info - you guys camp out there or stay close and commute??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
Gold
Gold

Went for fish on the upper harbour this morning. Notice while wading the waters definitely cooling down.

Fished for an hour or so  - very quiet. Then the moment we all love as the weight suddenly comes on and line goes whizzing through the fingers!

The fish powered down current almost taking my entire flyline. The 8 wgt had an impressive
bend and the heavy thumps coming up the line suggested snapper.

After a 5 minute tussle and a couple more powerful runs I managed to work the fish up current and bring it to my feet. A 46cm snapper in fantastic nick with the thickness running right back to the tail. My new PB snapper on fly - stoked!

The fly was my first tied using the fish skull heads.

After ikiing and icing the fish I fished on and soon dropped another fish after 5 seconds or so hooked up. Bugger! Minutes later I was on again - unfortunately busting the 10kg leader after about 30 seconds connected, again plenty of weight there and a powerful first run. Double bugger!!

Anyway good to know theres still some snapper around - and theyre fatties.

Salty fly - We camped at Paua. No facilities there at all but an awesome location.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 7:01pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 7:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

Clap
Great result, Jeremy! - that would have been a tussle to watch. And one good reason to always have a 10 kg leader at all times! What would that weigh: 3-4 kg?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:58am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent well done Mr Zilla! Those oysters must play havoc on leaders. Go the skulls!
Page  123 123>