Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1 118119120121122 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:49am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Johan! I did try something fairly similar, in both clouser style and unweighted, but couldn't get any response out of them until I went down to a size 8 fly. They seem to be firmly fixated on size.

The fish have been holding in one particular spot over a number of weeks and I've had three sessions on them so far. It's a great set-up for fly experimentation. I'll tie some sparse clousers like yours and give them another go next time. It will be very interesting if they eat it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

These are the flies I've been using. You would think that you could put the same amount of fly material on a bigger hook, but only the small size 8 Ganakatsu SL45 got bites. The middle hook is a Gamakatsu Livebait hook of similar size. I will be trying it next time I get out. It could be a better hook to use on skippies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 2:48pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep I can see why those would work, they get so damn picky sometimes.  I'm planning on heading out Thursday if the weather allows will tie a few options up including some of yours in case I run into some picky ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tied up a bunch, hoping to get out this week. Size 4 short shank Kumho stainless steel hooks and tungsten dumbell eyes from ILFF plus SF blend blue and white.  Should hopefully do the trick.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:28pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice ties, mate.  Simple, but slim. 
Which way up do they ride?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hook point down normally because of the small dumbell eyes but these new eyes are tungsten so might flip even though they are small, which I haven't tested but should not make a difference either way hopefully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 2:01pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahh, i get ya Craig,
Yip had that problem before,

i found the same with kahawai,[any hook gape smaller than 1/0 ya struggle getting a decent hook up]
and the smaller ya go, ive noticed the point blunts really easy.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 2:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, I think those Gamakatsu livebait hooks are the answer, but finding small sizes in New Zealand is not easy. I might have to do an Aussie order.

Johan, nice flies... I could tie something similar at size 4, but eyesight gives out and fingers start turning into sausages as the hook size gets smaller. Funny how the fish don't care that my small flies are a bit rough as the change in attitude between big flies and those tiny ones was quite dramatic.

It's nice to have calm mornings when you can see a fish's response to different flies.

Too much wind at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your ties work, Craig, that's what counts - it's not a neatness competition!

An old family friend of ours used to tie smelt flies with a pale section of a hawk tail feather (road kill!) which were very similar in shape and look to yours - also on a short shanked hook. Very simple, but deadly. One thing he swore by, though, was to paint a little black eye on the pale 'body'. He reckoned it made a difference, as the eyes are quite pronounced on very small baitfish and make a target in a school of shimmering silver.
I just used a Sharpie or similar permanent marker.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep I'm a firm believer in eyes. In the past I have used a hole punch on a black ice cream container lid. It works well for those really small eyes.

But can't find my old hole punch right now... going to have to buy another one. As you say- it's good to have eyes on flies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Bugger! I was driving to the ramp when the tsunami siren went off Lucky I wasn't already out on the water I suppose
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My alarm was set for this morning and gear packed for a local spot explore. Been wathing the live Gisborne (Waikane) surf cam instead with people cycling and walking their dogs along the beach. Thankfully no sign of anything yet.

A few years years back we drove all the way to Bowentown to go to Mayor Island and heard about the warning only when we stopped for fuel when we got there.  Another two hours home. Was a nice lil tour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 1:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

What a beautiful day to miss out on!

I couldn't see any birds from the top of the hill.

Do you think I was high enough?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:21pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you weren't high enough then all those maps without NZ on it would have finally been accurate Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The surges from the tsunami had one benefit- they got the inshore snapper on the bite. Lots of small fish last night, but managed a 35 and 40cm fish amongst them. Water was dirty and a dangerous swell was still pumping. I had to fish in a protected corner.

Yes, I did check my escape route straight up the closest rocky bank should the water recede suddenly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:01pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Had a great day out today. Oily calm and nicely overcast. There was plenty of surface action to be found.

I sorted out some fussy kahawai first with microbait flies then moved out to Cape Brett in search of skippies. It was pleasing to find that there were plenty about. However, they were as difficult as ever. I went through about five different fly changes before finding something that worked. The fight that followed on the 9wt was fairly monumental. The hook was only size 8 so I nursed that fish all the way home.

The dying stages of the fight went on for nearly fifteen minutes. Trying to get such a powerful fish in the net while fishing solo was not easy. I was greatly relieved when I finally had the fish on board.

Only about my fifth skipjack tuba ever and, at four and a half kilos, easily my biggest. I was very stoked. These krill feeding Northland skippies are just about impossible to catch with a fly cast from a drifting boat so I was very very happy to put this fish in the bin.

As if to prove how difficult they are I couldn't repeat that success. I am left still scratching my head as to what the answer is with these bloody things.

Great to get one big one though!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 5:37pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Craig, tough fishing.

Do you find pink flies work when they are feeding on krill as in match the hatch/bait with colour??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:21pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A pale pink fly caught the fish today, but I couldn't repeat my success so just might have got lucky. More work needed to nut these things out I think!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Im not experienced at all with skippies,

I wonder what conventional guys use to catch them?

Or is it just a case of F-loads of krill, making a fly having to fight for attention?[if ya no what i mean]

either ways, nice catchThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:04pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Casting a fly at them from a stationary boat is probably the least effective method of targetting them, but easily the most interesting and exciting.

Trolling a fly or a softbait is very effective... but it's trolling...

Casting small micro jigs from a stationary boat is pretty cool- especially when you get surface hits, but it does take a lot of casting.

Speed is where it's at and that's why fly is hardest.

The fish today took a slow moving fly. And that's my aim for the future- slow flies and match the hatch.

So much work to do still though and not many opportunities to really experiment with lots of different approaches. All good fun though.

Page  <1 118119120121122 123>