Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 203204205206207 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:31am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Winter has been about scoping new areas for fishing in the shallows using the fly over summer, yesterday a little poke around the shallows before securing a feed of snapper on bait. Still a month or two off before the shallows fire.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:30am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great as usual Graeme. Have you targeted parore? Looks good water around those mangroves. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:15pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out for a flick on sunday,
pretty productive
4 snaps 2 kahawai[that were busting up over a reef] and a sneaky Gurnard, such a pretty fish!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:12pm
Gold
Gold

Well done FISHBYFLY, especially the gurnard. What depth was the gurnard in? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yahoo! Love gurnard. Don't see enough of them up this way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:53pm
Gold
Gold

The only place I have had any luck with gurnard is offshore from Matakana Island in 14 metres, in a no wind drift, twitching a tenth ounce dumbbell charlie/clouser style fly on an high density fly line. Hardly fly fishing, just twitching the fly as you drift. Usually, sooner or later, the odd gurnard grabs the fly. Works on the snaps too. Have never caught a gurnard off the shore, but no doubt there are places where this is possible. Really good to see other swoffers having success with gurnard. Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 6:25pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Gurnard was in about3 metres of water,
i think its the third time ive hooked one in that water, its a piece of water that ive been concentrating on for the last few months, its full of numerous'baittrap' locations that will hopefully result in kingfish encounters in the coming months, only time will tell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:09pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the information FISHBYFLY, great you have found a honey hole for the gurnard. Good luck with the kings too. Bloody slow to turn up this season in Tauranga. Starting to see a few bait fish schools, so the kings must be close. Water temperature at this end was 15.4 deg.C to 16.2 deg.C over the last few days, really need some noreasterlies to warm things up. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:00am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still trying to nail a kaipara gurnard on fly.
Bait fish starting to turn up in the kaipara but no numbers yet, got some cool drone footage of a school hard up in the shallows last weekend
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:09pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its about now i start to find Trevs in westcoast harbours otdrmn,i tend to find them hard up against structure during high current flow tidal times,keep an eye out!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 1:18pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

first kingi hookup of the new season. Kingis 1, Nick nil. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff Nick. I hear there has been quite a few big kings in the Auckland region lately.

We are getting a few starting to show up here, but the ones we have found have been slow to bite on anything. Things are warming up though. Spawning snapper moving in and pilchard/anchovy work-ups happening occasionally. With a big northerly forecast for the end of the week it will be all on soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 8:32am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm finally on-board for the season but did not find any kings like you did Nick.

I shot out early morning yesterday from Takapuna. Well, it was meant to be early but thanks to my neighbour's parking skills I almost didn't get the boat out of the driveway.  

Then I tried to launch on a surprisingly busy Taka ramp near low tide.  I launched to the right, which I had never done before and dropped the trailer off a kind of step a the edge of the ramp which I did not know was there. No the trailer was it stuck on the axle. 

Embarrassing Cry. I recovered, thankfully, by getting the boat into the water and then lifting the trailer back onto the ramp by hand.  I love small boats!

After that things were on the up.  The channel markers had no kings.  I was a bit late by now anyway.  I saw some gannets sitting on the water west of rangi.  Turned out to be a few rafts of them so I waited.

It wasn't long before a couple of full blown workups started.  Followed by all the boats in the area.  Everyone behaved well though so it wasn't a problem.  

The sounder was going crazy but the gannets keep the fish well down, at least 5m or more and it was 14m to 18m of water.  I tried hard to get down fast enough but it was challenging.  I did eventually hook a nice kahawai, only to drop it at the boat.

I then changed tactics going with a drogue and long, deep, slow drifts.  It was slow fishing but I did manage 2 snapper at 38 and 42cm and a 52 cm kahawai.  That sorted dinner.

The workups died down by about 10am.  I went to check the markers again, still no-one home.  Lots of anchovies' sign dotted the rangi channel in about 12m of water with the occasional kahawai bust up.

I drifted and landed two tiny snapper before I left at around 11am.  I suspect the kahawai would have started working the anchovies in another hour or so.  The terns were already really excited and there were a few random bust ups.

All in all a great day with some nice fish and chips for the family last night and a fish curry today.

Both snapper had these in them, looks like mantis shrimp to me?  The kahawai had a completely empty stomach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 8:38am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff mate. Boom, its on!
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:18am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work Johan!
Shrimps are snapping shrimps (Alpheus sp.). Typically found in holes in the mud. You'd think they'd have to dig right down to get them out. Maybe they catch them at night? Interesting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:25am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing jofly - my home waters right there. You using a fast sinking 40 plus style line? Drifting would have been the way to go in that calm yesterday - anchored i can hit 18m depth after a bit of a wait with my fourty plus but doubt i would on the drift. Pink flies doing better on snaps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:49am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes I was using a fast sinking line. It could be a 40 plus or outbound. I can't remeber which line it is but I think rio. It is an integrated shooting head style line.

I ended up using a piper fly with heavy dumbell eyes to try and match what I think must have been pilchards in the workups. I don't have a pilchard fly.

Normally I use shrimplike flies when drifting for snapper. I don't think they are too fussy. Just needs to get down to them and have movement.

I can get down to 12m on the drift. It just takes a while. The problem with the workups are they move too fast and the gannets keep the fish deep.

So I think the kahawai had gone by the time I was getting deep enough. They stick in tight balls around the bait and move fast while the snapper tend to trail and be deeper down.

The snapper were caught well after the main workup had passed, deep down, and the kahawai were caught in amongst or close to the diving birds when a workup came close enough to me.

I tend to catch snapper on a dead drift and kahawai only when I start stripping the fly back fast. I also think kahawai tend to be more fussy on flies in these workup situations and want something similar to the baitfish.

Hope that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for your post - very informative.
Been doing a bit of berley on anchor/minkota and the small snapper tend to be a pain in the arse. Last time landed over 20 up to 34cm - many hit the fly hard while it was sinking not even retrieved. Pink clouser was the favourite but pink boobies go well too.
Was wondering if flies too small but did hook a nice trevally with a few kahawaii thrown in so good fun. My mate next to me landed snapper to 65cm so big ones were there but maybe little ones too quick and agressive .
I have also noted in the work ups kahawaiii a bit fussy too - my go too most of the time is a simple grey ghost small size 10 sort of thing and they usually hammer them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Redfinger Last time landed over 20 up to 34cm - many hit the fly hard while it was sinking not even retrieved. Pink clouser was the favourite but pink boobies go well too. <br>[/QUOTE Redfinger Last time landed over 20 up to 34cm - many hit the fly hard while it was sinking not even retrieved. Pink clouser was the favourite but pink boobies go well too.
[/QUOTE wrote:

This is the secret of snapper on the fly.

The moment it hits the water keep the fly line straight as the  hits can come within a second

This is the secret of snapper on the fly.

The moment it hits the water keep the fly line straight as the  hits can come within a second or two. 

And the DNR (DO Nothing Retrieve ) is the ticket, especially in shallow water, try to leave even as long as a minute or two before slowly crawling it along the bottom. Booby fly style in fact.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out early morning on the rising tide. Lots of stirred up muddy water to begin, but as tide pushed up over the flats got some clear water to fish. But not a bite, swirl or even any sighting of a finny denizen in four hours fishing. Even took along some old fishy bits for berley  and got no reaction other than one gull picking up a couple of pieces. 
Looks like Auckland is stuck with breezy stuff for next few days.Thumbs Down
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  <1 203204205206207 237>