who is in charge of the Poor Knights reserve?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:21pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

a NZ fisheries officer i think has similar power as a policeman, some like the one up here in Kerikeri is also the Harbour Master, interesting that one.

DOC have restrictions, ithey are not trained in the same manner as a fisheries officer,
they could call on the police for assistance if they find you in the wrong place but cant fully arrest you except as a citizen arrest i believe,

MPI will certainly look into it and if we make enough noise will have to do something for sure i would have thought,
but then MPI seam to be a pack of wimps when it comes to dealing with people that feed their own hand...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 12:26pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the latest from NZ Herald,

Commercial fishing boat snapped in marine reserve.

An ocean ecologist says he is extremely disappointed after he saw a commercial fishing boat allegedly longline fishing at the Poor Knights Islands Marine Reserve.

Glenn Edney, who also skippers a dive charter boat out of Tutukaka to the Poor Knights, off the east coast of Northland, said he saw the boat fishing around the islands on Tuesday.

Recreational and commercial fishing is restricted around the marine reserve, which extends 800m offshore around the islands.

The Fisheries Act prohibits longline fishing by commercial boats within 1 nautical mile (1.8km) of the islands. It also prohibits trawling within 3 nautical miles of the islands.

Mr Edney said he was snorkelling with a group of friends near the Riko Riko cave when he noticed the commercial fishing boat.

"It looked a little suspicious, I have to say, because they were pretty close in, and they did appear to be fishing," he said.

"These guys, according to my GPS and according to the other charter boat I called over to verify ... were somewhere around about 600-700m inside the 1 nautical mile exclusion zone for commercial fishing."

Mr Edney has laid a complaint with the Ministry for Primary Industries.

He said the Department of Conservation (DoC), which was tasked with taking care of marine reserves across New Zealand, did a "fantastic job".

However, he said DoC had have very few resources, and it was up to other people who used the marine reserve to keep an eye out.

Mr Edney was concerned about an increase in illegal fishing at Poor Knights.

"Unfortunately there have been very few prosecutions. It's difficult to get prosecutions and people are getting frustrated because of that."

Mr Edney has since posted a statement and photos of the alleged longline fishing boat to his Facebook page. The post has been shared over 700 times.

"I'm a little surprised at how viral the Facebook thing has gone - but it really indicates just how passionately people feel about not only the marine reserves, but also about not playing ball and fishing illegally."

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 6:42pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

interesting how the Comm's are insisting sharks/whales/seals could have dragged the long line into the reserve, nah they wouldn't on purpose do that...

first off, here is the area they fish for Snapper on East coast, called SNA01.
then there is this poky little place called the Poor Knights just happens to be bulging/over flowing with snapper all waiting to be caught by the Commercial fleet,
well that is why the reserve was put there in the first place wasn't it?
for the Comm's to slaughter as they left the area right to populate others....

when you consider we have some Comm's complaining there are way too many snapper why are they targeting Reserves anyway?????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 6:56pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whales dragging the line into the reserve. Were they using plankton for bait.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:19am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Honestly it was accidental..cant you see where this is headed yet once again ,talk about only seeing their feet ( I wont say where the rest of the person is )But MPI protect their interest's which would appear to be Commercial orientated
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wha North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:11pm
Wha North View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where is it or who was it that the comms have said the lines were dragged in the reserve?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Wha North Wha North wrote:

Where is it or who was it that the comms have said the lines were dragged in the reserve?
i cannot find it either have re read herald article??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:42pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

have a look on Commercial fishing forum on Face Book,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Choirs Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 7:23am
Choirs Reef View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Skipper fined $25k for fishing in prohibited area

An ocean conservationist instrumental in setting up the Poor Knights Islands marine reserve has welcomed the more than $25,000 fines and costs imposed on a commercial fisherman caught fishing in the prohibited area.

Wade Doak said the sentencing of Ty Thomas McQuarrie in the Whangarei District Court on Friday vindicated Northlanders who over the years have been concerned about fishing in the area which resulted in a near-depletion of fish stocks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=11703735

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:31am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Way not enough. 10% of the boats value... not even that. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 5:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

Whilst I agree with you Mike, but I am sure a $25K fine will hurt a 26 year old fishing boat Captain and I wonder if his employers dismissed him as a result?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 7:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

Whilst I agree with you Mike, but I am sure a $25K fine will hurt a 26 year old fishing boat Captain and I wonder if his employers dismissed him as a result?

Yeah I agree, that is a huge fine for a young man. A well deserved fine though. It was his choice to fish there. People do tend to think of commercial fishermen as corporate entities but this guy chose to do that. A good result.

I believe the worst offenders by percentage are recreational fishers. Ask almost anyone with only a passing interest in fishing and they won't know a trevally from a jack mack (I once went on a charter where the skipper didn't know the difference ... sad but true), a snapper from a porae. Let alone know the regulations. Go to any wharf and try it. Those are the 90% of the 1 000 000 fishermen who shoot, fish and vote.

How many of them participate in these forums? Only the ten percenters and those who are on the right path.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12