Whitianga tips?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitianga tips?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:16pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We're up in Whitianga over easter.

Got out for a fish this afternoon. Shot out behind Centre Island, found some really good looking sign in about 23m.... proceeded to catch about 50 Snapper in the 25-29cm bracket.

Tried another spot over by Round Island, same deal. Endless tiny snapper. Tried using some quite large baits, and they just get smashed until they're small enough for a 25cm Snapper to eat it. Tried on the bottom, off the bottom, way off the bottom... same result.

Any advice from here? I'm not looking for a GPS mark (though I wouldn't say no), more like "go out to 35-40m on the sand and blah blah". Even if its just a way to stop bothering the local baby Snapper population.

Any input much appreciated! Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:55pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out at centre island also yesterday limited out using soft baits we lifted limit to 32cm and biggest 48cm

Two skips from a school passing which is one of my favourite eating tuna.

Wasn’t going to go out today as have enough snapper but one of the family wanted Kingi steaks on bbq tonight. Went to 22m and snagged a 90cm model enough to feed the tribe. So back in to find tomorrow the new request is calamari ....never targeted them at whiti so let’s see what can be done.

Enjoying the boat before I have to sell the beast due to Aussie big lap adventure. Going to miss it and will struggle to get a boat so we’ll set up when I return ....
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:47pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Was out at centre island also yesterday limited out using soft baits we lifted limit to 32cm and biggest 48cm

Two skips from a school passing which is one of my favourite eating tuna.

Wasn’t going to go out today as have enough snapper but one of the family wanted Kingi steaks on bbq tonight. Went to 22m and snagged a 90cm model enough to feed the tribe. So back in to find tomorrow the new request is calamari ....never targeted them at whiti so let’s see what can be done.

Enjoying the boat before I have to sell the beast due to Aussie big lap adventure. Going to miss it and will struggle to get a boat so we’ll set up when I return ....

On the west side of it with all the other boats or around the back? We were bait fishing at anchor on the north side and just got plagued.

Went out to the Twins today, fished in 23m off the side, very similar results to yesterday. One 35cm keeper.

Probably gonna head to Great Merc from Kuaotonu on Tuesday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:56pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ocean side. Locate the reef and once it hits sand drift from there, wind direction dependant. Bright colour softboats are working.

I cleaned out whiti of squid jigs...3 so hopefully that will do the job
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb