Whitebait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitebait
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the news just

"Whitebait going extinct"

Nek minute

"We don't know how much is caught, how and where"

Between the Greens and Twig and Tweet obviously this one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:04pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What a lot of hot air and BS from the minister. Still nothing about stopping it being sold by recreational fishers!! Just to stop exports. Call me naive but I didn't realise that whitebait was even exportedPinch. Is there enough whitebait in the country to even export?? I would stick my neck out and say that 30 to 40% of recreational whitebaiters wouldn't bother to fish if a ban was in place to stop selling it. Certainly this is the case on the river I fish. Once again the old cliche still applies.....can't harvest and sell fish, paua, crayfish etc etc so ONCE AGAIN what is the ^*($%#$%^^ difference. Our illustrious minister is again like all of the rest of her historical counterparts...told what to say or too gutless to take the necessary action. It's as if there's a vested interest among the lawmakers and they don't want to lose their pieces of the pie??Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:24am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

exported to Australia Cook islands and Nuie a total of 1092kg for $98.291.00    $90kg frozen  2018 figures from NZ seafood site.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:07am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Denny Boy Denny Boy wrote:

What a lot of hot air and BS from the minister. Still nothing about stopping it being sold by recreational fishers!! Just to stop exports. Call me naive but I didn't realise that whitebait was even exportedPinch. Is there enough whitebait in the country to even export?? I would stick my neck out and say that 30 to 40% of recreational whitebaiters wouldn't bother to fish if a ban was in place to stop selling it. Certainly this is the case on the river I fish. Once again the old cliche still applies.....can't harvest and sell fish, paua, crayfish etc etc so ONCE AGAIN what is the ^*($%#$%^^ difference. Our illustrious minister is again like all of the rest of her historical counterparts...told what to say or too gutless to take the necessary action. It's as if there's a vested interest among the lawmakers and they don't want to lost their pieces of the pie??Angry
Totally agree D B, take away the $$ value and half the keen whitebaiters wouldn't bother. And the ones making the most money have the best spots. Also apart from the legit south island whitebait companies, the rest of the rec sales is 99% cash in your pocket. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:21am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How is it legal for reccs to sell their catch when you cannot sell seafood,is whitebait deemed not to be a fish???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

How is it legal for reccs to sell their catch when you cannot sell seafood,is whitebait deemed not to be a fish???

Bit sideways on topic but you are allowed to sell your heads, frames guts etc to a registered rendering plant, not that you would be likely to cover any costs. And also any other non edible parts of(bills, teeth, jaws etc)
Just a bit of useless info for ya!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:31am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Bit sideways on topic but you are allowed to sell your heads, frames guts etc to a registered rendering plant, not that you would be likely to cover any costs. And also any other non edible parts of(bills, teeth, jaws etc)
Just a bit of useless info for ya!
Thanks did not know that.

Now please explain why I cannot sell a kilo of kingfish but can sell a kilo of whitebait?? I do not see the difference,both are a natural source both are in limited numbers yet we can sell one but not the other.

Just maybe the greenies need to concentrate more on cleaning up the waterways so the whitebait can thrive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:16am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whitebait do not have the same restriction. For what reason I don't know. Bound to be historic and then the wet fish market/regs developed on a different path - esp with the introduction of the QMS. But it is the only amateur catch you are permitted to sell. Seems wrong to me. Either it is amateur or not. But my suspicion would be the pollies don't have the guts to tackle that stuff.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:44am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Whitebait do not have the same restriction. For what reason I don't know. Bound to be historic and then the wet fish market/regs developed on a different path - esp with the introduction of the QMS. But it is the only amateur catch you are permitted to sell. Seems wrong to me. Either it is amateur or not. But my suspicion would be the pollies don't have the guts to tackle that stuff.
Alan

Not only can rec baiters sell their catch but there are no limits re amounts that can be caught albeit at least approx. within daylight hours.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:50pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Totally agree pjc.. it beggars belief that recreationally caught whitebait can be sold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Totally agree pjc.. it beggars belief that recreationally caught whitebait can be sold.
Thats the law, anyone who catches whitebait can sell it. You can even put a sign outside your house on the side of the road as people do around here or sell it to shops, clubs, friends. Yet selling any other wet fish illegal. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:02pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Allowing sale of whitebait, is outrageous. Minister Sage is proposing to do virtually nothing to stop the rape of the whitebait fishery. We should kick up a big fuss. Letters to papers, submissions, emails to MPs, etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have a local family that has blocked the ramp to stop people going whitebaiting,tells people this is our river,fek off or we will bash you. If it wasn't allowed to be sold,things like this wouldn't happen. A few years back there was a fight at the ramp over whitebaiting,one guy jumped in his truck and rammed a guy on foot into a wall. The guy had his leg amputated recently..   the same tough guy pulls apart other people's stands and used the materials on his own. All for a few fish that are waaay over rated in my opinion.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thing is bashing’s etc come about from jealousy.
I don’t get the whole fuss about whitebait either it is way overrated.

But here we are and when you get two useless groups like the Greens and Twig and Tweet onto the case things are going to go pear shaped.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:54pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The bashing was due to a meth fueled clown that thought another guy was too close to him. The guy that lost his leg moved up north it affected him so badly. There is talk around here that someone will die,it's obviously a quick source of legal cash for meth heads at $100 a kg or there abouts.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the proposed changes from labour and the greens, seems well balanced. I can still catch whitebait and numbers should go up. Had hoped there would be more focus on water quality. Maybe that will start to happen.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb