Where can I catch a BIG Carp?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I catch a BIG Carp?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:08am
SundanceKid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello, where is a great place in North Island to catch decent size Carp?
Thanks!
My wife says she'll leave me if I go fishing again - HELL, I"LL MISS HER!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:21am
David Robson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Mate,
Plenty of carp in Auckland /Waikato.
Most of us are more active in the Facebook coarse /carp fishing groups, so you'll get more info there
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:50am
Silver
Silver

Hi, I'm not on FB, could you share some places with me on here? Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:50am
David Robson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where abouts are you based mate?
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SundanceKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
Silver
Silver

East Auckland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:59pm
Jammy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Carp tend to stay in murky water, and they're likely to spook easily when the water is clear. These fish also prefer warmer waters, so look along the shoreline, backwaters, and side channels for muddy water with dense vegetation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 5:08pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a fish to the Kaniwhaniwha, a tributary of the Waipa and runs off Pirongia.
The very thing I first saw as I looked in the river was a really big fish and as it moved closer saw it was a Koi Carp! Now this was in fairly fast flowing, shingle bed - not the sort of place I'd have expected to see one. I entered the stream and soon saw a decent rainbow about 4 lb. I cast my cicada pattern ahead of it and saw the trout move towards it. Next second another Koi swam downstream towards my fly and the rainbow made a hasty departure!
I was trying to watch both fish and pulled in my fly which was well downstream then the koi took it. Now I'm only fishing with a 4X leader and this was a big fish and it soon headed off downstream and broke me off!
As I moved upstream I saw another trout and a koi appeared and looked spooked. Same thing happened another couple of times. The Koi were all in fast flowing water and for every trout I saw there were 3 times the number of Koi.
This is a bit of a worry so I'll talk to the F&G manager next week.
I never expected to see koi in obviously trout waters??
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:49pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

if you come to New Plymouth    there huge 20+kg grass carp in Lake Roronamu which kids catch and release.    They come when people feed the ducks with bread .

Cheers

Rainbow