Whats ya RIG?

Page  <1 6768697071 77>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:20am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by marlinmarty marlinmarty wrote:

Fish fizzo
Its a nimbus 4000 year 1988
Made in sweden only one other same size in NZ.
Its had a fair few mods will post more pics once inside is assembled.
Relauching 8am tomorrow

Let us know how the relaunch goes and if you have any piccies. Always love looking at boats.

If you get sick of this Ive found a new boat for you, it has its own work room (I think the tools are included) and laundry room :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:34am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My 'new' rig.
Good old 14'6 sea nymph gull wing

Given it a bit of a tidy up put in carpet, replaced gun whale rubber (prick of a job).
New finder is next.
Mainly used on the lakes with the odd trip planned to harbours and further if weather permits.
Good riding hull for a small boat.
Cruises just under 40kph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:10pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice - we have been running our 14.6v for about 3 years now. We have an older 70hp Johnny on ours, but it pumps along so sweet - had it over 55kph on the lake but seems to cruise best at that 35/40 for fuel.

I have been out in some real choppy crap and they handle far better than you would expect, but Its no fun. Lakes and good days it eats up.

Did you add the bikini? if so where did you get that one from, also the "whale rubber" are you talking about the rubber bumper that protects the outside edge of the boat? our white one has aged badly and has a chunk missing - if so where did you get it from? how much of Prick is it.....ahahhahahhaha

cheers neil

Originally posted by old timer old timer wrote:

My 'new' rig.
Good old 14'6 sea nymph gull wing

Given it a bit of a tidy up put in carpet, replaced gun whale rubber (prick of a job).
New finder is next.
Mainly used on the lakes with the odd trip planned to harbours and further if weather permits.
Good riding hull for a small boat.
Cruises just under 40kph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:33pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bikini top was already fitted when I purchased the boat. Has no markings on it unfortunately as I would love to get another one made in black.
Yea that's the rubber fender around the side. Mine was white but changed to black. It's not cheap. Black is 24 plus gst a meter white is 33 plus gst so it's not cheap when you need 12m. You need to heat it and stretch it a bit as you fit it. Keeping the sealant off everything is tricky also but can be done. If you do replace I can let you know how to do it more. You can purchase it from rubbermark industries nz. Very good to deal with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 9:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its really nice to see these older boats in good knick..70hp .. you should get quite a bit more out of it than 55km (34 mph)..
 Are you WoT around 5400/5500 rpms 
 I would guesstimate around a 19" pitch prop would be ideal...and if it is and hitting around 5500 WoT you have far too much slip.. 36%  target around 5 to 8%.
 This would then give you a far faster economic cruise speed ... and be far more economic any way.
 If the above assumptions on data/ pitch are correct .. you are inefect at cruise .. would be like driving a car with a very badly slipping clutch about to die completely..
 No need for an expensive stainless prop.. a $50 alloy prop off trademe will do the job.
 Stainless comes into its own when moving heavy boats or high speed loads on the blades.. your boat just doesn't justify cost of stainless nor any of the "benfits ' of one.

Just a few thoughts that may improve things significantly..

The fender rubber...on the commanders only went to the back cnr with a thin aluminium cap on the end.. The top of the transom has/ had a stainless strip... Surprised it goes around the cnr like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:05am
Silver
Silver

I never really was concerned about the top speed - it was about the one and only time I pushed her up to WOT on the lake.

From memory the revs were well over that, more like 6,000+ we cruise at 4200 ish seems to be its sweet spot currently. It does have a 1986 VRO Jonny on it so wont be using WOT much. Note: this is on the boats old fashioned OMC "probe" style speedo, not GPS etc.

Prop looks stock black ali, the prop is in really good shape.

BUT im always keen to improve anything on her, spec at cruise etc. The boat punches VERY well when your at 30Kph if you hit the taps - how do you measure prop pitch? Ill have a look at TRade me, is it hard to change props?

Cheers for all the help.

Ill add a "my rig" photos shortly

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Its really nice to see these older boats in good knick..70hp .. you should get quite a bit more out of it than 55km (34 mph)..
 Are you WoT around 5400/5500 rpms 
 I would guesstimate around a 19" pitch prop would be ideal...and if it is and hitting around 5500 WoT you have far too much slip.. 36%  target around 5 to 8%.
 This would then give you a far faster economic cruise speed ... and be far more economic any way.
 If the above assumptions on data/ pitch are correct .. you are inefect at cruise .. would be like driving a car with a very badly slipping clutch about to die completely..
 No need for an expensive stainless prop.. a $50 alloy prop off trademe will do the job.
 Stainless comes into its own when moving heavy boats or high speed loads on the blades.. your boat just doesn't justify cost of stainless nor any of the "benfits ' of one.

Just a few thoughts that may improve things significantly..

The fender rubber...on the commanders only went to the back cnr with a thin aluminium cap on the end.. The top of the transom has/ had a stainless strip... Surprised it goes around the cnr like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will take this private.. or if you want to start another thread later when we get good data , prop specs etc..
 Prop specs are on the center of the prop.. will be something like 13 1/4 x 15
 If going over 6000 @wot thats bad for engine.
 I have found that the evnirude/ johnson speedos are surprisingly accurate.. so are mercs
Check it is in km and not mph.. if want to do a rough speed check with gps.. load a speed / gps app onto your cell phone
PMed about required data etc

PS If can at normal cruise on flat water normal loading, get someone to wave the cell phone out the back so can take pics or video of the cavitation plate..

lets to hijack this on going thread of new rigs any further here

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:37pm
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

I have found this Forum/site just wicked - heaps of helpful people that make my boating easier and more enjoyable.

We pick up this 14.6V about 3 years ago. It was off a good family friend who got a bit old to take it out. She has a 86 VRO 70hp Johnson on it which goes very very well. I have never used more than 20litre a fuel in an outing. The VRO unit was replaced just before we picked it up along with new steering setup. 

We have had to fix a portion of cabin floor - a seal in the prop shaft so did water pump while it was there. It has just had the Stator fail (thinking this was due to using Wing Nuts on the battery) so mid changing out that.

I took the king and Queen seats out as they took up way too much space - made up a bin setup and retained the seat squabs that can be placed forward or backwards on top.

The boat itself is too small for what we thought we wanted, but it does way more than we thought, pictures are from the lake but we fish out Wanganui - been caught out in some pretty average chop and it handled very well. Its a breeze to launch and recover (trailer prob needs new rollers to be fair) 

Great little boat, normally get stopped by someone every second outing telling us they should have never got rid of there 14.6 which makes me smile.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Silver
Silver

Actual pic with me and my brother the owner - with me son
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:02pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice rig mate.
They are a good little boat.
I get about the same performance as you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 2:48pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all. Ive just bought a new Figlass Firestar - 5.3m  fibreglass. Here it is.

My previous boat was a Stabi 1530 - 4.6m aluminium.

My objective in changing, is mainly to get a softer ride in a choppy sea. I believe the Firestar achieves that, well, due to - heavier, longer, sharper hull (21 degrees compared 17 on the Stabi). I have been out, with wind about 13 knots, and a nasty chop; and the ride was I thought much softer, so I am rapt.

I did wonder if the stability at rest would be significantly lower - after twice on it, I think I can detect some drop in lateral stability (compared to the Stabi pontoon hull), but its minor and doesn't bother me.

I chose the Firestar, after looking at some other boats, including a VMG (no longer being made I gather), and a Extreme 500. I briefly considered getting a bigger 5.8m boat and keeping it in a dry-stack instead of towing and parking it, but the cost was exorbitant.  

The look and feel of fibreglass, takes a bit of getting used to. Nicer for sure, but I have already caught myself wiping bits of bait off it. Actually I don't mind taking more care of it.

The motor is a Mercury 90hp 4 stroke. Weight 165kg, which seems a lot on this hull, but the manufacturers maximum is 180kg, and it looks and goes fine. So far, I like the motor. Judging how it kept pushing along through a choppy sea, I think it has plenty of torque.

It has been customised to some degree. Inside, carpets on the walls and floor has been changed to hard paint finish, that can be cleaned more easily. However, I had to push somewhat, as the manufacturer did not appear to have the option readily available.

Theres a anchor drum winch - Viper 1000w; 100m braided 6mm rope , chain and Manson Supreme 4.5kg anchor . Unfortunately, the Firestar does not have a bow-sprit, which is odd I think. To accommodate the anchor a bow-sprit has been made in stainless steel; ok, but really it should have one as  standard.

Seats are excellent - the best Ive seen on a trailer boat. Swivel 360 degs, for& aft adjust, height adjust, shock suspension. Padding is thick and firm, and the side support good. Leaves my old seats for dead!

In the cabin, theres enough room and height to sit or lie; surprising in a 5.3m length.

The cockpit space is limited, but plenty for me. Theres enough room for two to fish ok.

The trailer is made by Figlass. I thought the standard trailer was wider than necessary, and am pleased they provided a narrower trailer at 2180 oa. Considering the oa boat beam of 2100, that's good going.

The standard colour for trims is navy blue, but Im not a standard person, so ordered an option in dark red. They did the seats and cabin squabs and side panels in the red, which looks good I reckon. I have put the boat name (my Fishin.net name) "LetsGetEm" on the sides.

Heres a shot of the interior -

Total cost has been $47,000; including about $3400 for the winch and bowsprit and anchor.

I think it will be my last boat. However, Ive thought that before, so don't hold me to that. 

My normal stamping ground is off Whangaparaoa. If you see me out there, with LetsGetEm on the side, give me a yell.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 12:47pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one Letsgetem.
We have a 2006 Firestar with 90 Merc 2 stroke. Great boats and very happy with it.
Yours is better geared for fishing, us with a King/Queen in the side takes up a bit more room that the pedestal however it suits us fine.
Maybe see you out there one day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marlinmarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:42pm
marlinmarty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish fizzo
As promised there is small vid on facebook page.
"What i did on my boat today down below

[IMG]uploads/60873/20190203223https://www.facebook.com/groups/268720816954300/permalink/308533492973032/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 4:00pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

got the mac under a year ago and have done a few small changes a re-power and have shifted passenger chair and fuel tanks right forward to increase deck space good amount of room for a small boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 3:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by marlinmarty marlinmarty wrote:

Fish fizzo
As promised there is small vid on facebook page.
"What i did on my boat today down below

[IMG]uploads/60873/20190203223https://www.facebook.com/groups/268720816954300/permalink/308533492973032/

Gorgeous mate, truely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marsli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 1:55am
Marsli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello
I'm looking for simrad cx 44. Is Someone still have the display cx44 and want to sell?
Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Risers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:22pm
Risers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

580 pro sport with 115 yammy 4 stroke on the back. Had it for a few months now. Already had some good fish from it and blood across the deck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:07pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Risers Risers wrote:

580 pro sport with 115 yammy 4 stroke on the back. Had it for a few months now. Already had some good fish from it and blood across the deck.

Very nice Risers. Where abouts did you catch that beakie? looks a good smoking size or did you let it go to catch another day?

How is the AMF, I totally over looked them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:53pm
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

We took the NZFM Extreme project-boat On-Line II out for a run yesterday morning with John Eichelsheim, as part of a boat review.

She's an Extreme 745 Centre Console with a 250HP Honda on the back. She's got two Raymarine MFDs, Fusion stereo, Hella lights and a SEAKEEPER - the smallest boat in the world to be fitted with one!

She sits on a Voyager trailer, fitted with a Balex - once you've had one, you'll never go back!

Check out the July issue of NZ Fishing News for the full write up from John on this fishing machine!

Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote phillipcollis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:08am
phillipcollis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bit of course  but...

My boat " Trout Hunter " is now Patumahoe based and while up here its now " Snapper Hunter :...Ok...Now's the question..Who in say south auckland wants to become my fishing mate and for a start join me for the Grunter fishing contest this sunday going out from te toro as fish the manukau...But if you do just phone me quick so we can meet and tickets are only at hunting & fishing in pukekohe and time is just till 5 pm today to buy...Dont dally...Just do it now...Phillip Collis 09-2364548 or 0276444036 Boats no toy as its 4.6 meter long and 1.7 wide with 600mm high sides and 20 HP merc four stroke...

Page  <1 6768697071 77>