Whats the Best .22 Rifle.

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:26pm
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep it coming Guys, lots to take in & lots to learn.

So far this is where im heading.

Bolt action, 1 load 1 shot, easy & safe.
Fully suppressed barrel so minimum noise.
Synthetic stoke.
An average scope say 4 x 30 or 4 x 40
And supersonic ammo.
From what i have researched & heard 80 to 100m is about the range with accuracy & power & i ain't no snipper.
Most shots i would say will be under 50m.

Just got to decide how much to spend & what brand.

Cheers
SB

Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:54pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd go against the 4 power scope, and you don't need a fully suppressed barrel and you don't need to always use supersonics. 

Even if you're looking at ranges under 50m, a 3-9 x 40 or 4-12 x 40 etc will make it far FAR more easier on any shots. Because a 4x power scope is fixed you can't zoom in or zoom out. With a variable powered scope you can zoom in or zoom out to take those longer distanced shots. I would love to see most people try and hit a inch target at 100m with a 22lr and a 4 power fixed scope... It can be done sure, but it is harder. Go into a shop and have a look at a 3-9 scope versus a fixed 4 power scope.

Also, you dont need a fully suppressed barrel.  You only need a good quality suppressor. Which also means you need a threaded gun. 

If you are shooting in residential areas then i wouldn't advise using supersonics. They are not very loud but they do produce a bang. If you're using subsonic rounds and a suppressor the sound is hardly there.

Also why the need for a synthetic stock? Are you hunting in the rain a lot?  

If i were in your position i'd be looking more into what .22 you are interested in. 
.22lr, .22mag or 17hmr or even the new winchester super magnums. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:06pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

considering you are only controlling pests id go for a jw15 and a middle if the road 3-9x40 scope it will do all of what your wanting and more and if you buy a half decent scope it will only cost $400 topsand jw15 hold value so if you wantto upgrade in a coupple of years you should still get a fair price for it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.guncity.co.nz/22-norinco-jw15s-22-bolt-action-rifle-threaded-xidp217166.html
and a cheep (but not to cheep) scope of your choice and youll be away and rocking

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:35pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If it were me, I'd go to 'Reloaders' and just buy a 10/22 with screw-on suppressor. Use subs.  A 3-9 or 2-7 (my fav.) or a fixed 4x will be fine. You'd soon "outgrow" a single shot IMO.  Install a bolt recoil buffer and you're away.  Sight it in to be spot on at about 40 m and enjoy.  Remember, you don't have to fill the mag,(but you would anyway). Treat it as if ALWAYS LOADED as you Should with any firearm.

Two of my .22's have 4 x 40's on them, and my fav. has a 2-7x36 on it.  Mind you, they are all taking a long holiday in the last 6 or 7 yrs, the HMR rules for Brer Rabbit. The 204R for the rest.

Get as good quality scope as you can afford; many of the ones on "package" deals are absolute rubbish. Cheers.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

also a supressor wont do anything (or next to **** all) to the sound of supersonic ammo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Amate sent me this & said its a goody, looks OK & under budget......your thoughts please

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

do not buy a semi with a full suppressor
the ported barrel reduces back pressure and you will have nothing but problems with jams if you want a full suppressor the only way to go is bolt action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:51pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Personally, I'd give it a miss. I have one similar, with a good scope, but you have to use "regular velocity" ammo wiith it, (there have been many arguments in various forums arguing the value of this, and that the full supp. slows the bullet to subsonic speed anyway...jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.) Just a normal srew-on supp. is easiest,with a "normal" rifle, be it a semi or bolt action,and subs are cheap. From what I've heard, I'd be very hesitant in dealing with the outfit in your question as well. Reloaders Supplies are good.  You don't need high velocity ammo, pests don't know the difference.Cheers.

Sappacatcha..seems when I'm writng a reply you manage to beat me to itSmile.

I've never had my fully supp'd jam at all, but that is why you have to use "regular" ammo and not subs. Works great.. Cheers.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

yeah i wouldent touch a full supress ives shot a fair few now...
there no quieter than a muzzle can anyway and theres a lot more cleaning involved

just get a cheep bolt action or semi if you wish (i wouldent get anything other than a 10/22) with a muzzle can and use a good subsonic amo such as winchester super x or cci subsonic hollow point

this kits all ive ever used for hunting sight in at 50m at 25 you can aim dead on as theres only about 5mm diffrince as to were the bullet lands at 75-80m you will need to aim a wee bit high not much
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

shark bait you should join this forum
its a great forum for hunting firearms etc im a member there as well as here my name there is rambo-6mmrem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:42pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

shark bait you should join this forum
its a great forum for hunting firearms etc im a member there as well as here my name there is rambo-6mmrem
very good website  mate, rambo 6mmrem aye, i seen you round before in the gun clubs, ill say hi next time!!Thumbs Up ive just joined nzda riverhead, well not quite buggers taking along time to process my membership, wana get my range card, save myself some money..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

This looks the part, what you fellows think of this, bit out of my price range & probably total overkill or is it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=592591328

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:45pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a .223 . Hell of a lot different to a .22lr.

Nice enough gun .

Google .22lr vs .223 and look at the images . Big difference

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are´╗┐ happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:46pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Shark-Bait Shark-Bait wrote:

This looks the part, what you fellows think of this, bit out of my price range & probably total overkill or is it.

LOL you planing on skinnen them too!! 
Wont be much of them left after that, nice gun though, you'd knock over a deer or a pig with that.
Wont be cheap to run compared with the 22lr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:52am
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For what you are shooting I don't think you need a .22 rifle! A .22 air rifle would do the job!

Hers is my link (of course).

no need to spend additional money on a license at the moment and with power of 1000 ft/ps they won't know what's hit them.
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:04am
Platinum
Platinum

223 is a great long range pest gun (200+m) but a bit overkill for what your wanting
also shooting 223 up into trees after coons is doggy a best a 223 round will go a long way a very long way and still have enough grunt to take out a jogger on the highway.. not a good idea

i would buy 2 guns if you feel that way inclined 223 and a 22lr
if its a small block you may even be safer to use a 12ga shotgun for u the trees as they are only lethal to about 250-400m compared to (1.5km with a 22lr) depending on the load but most shooting with a shotty is close range IE 30m
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/rifles/auction-593354221.htm that would be an ideal 22 since you want full suppressor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:50pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Shark-Bait Shark-Bait wrote:

Savage .17HMR BTVS heavy barreled (19in) thumbhole varminter with gunworks suppressor, fired only 150 rnds  ( I have the left handed version of this myself)

Its far more suitable for your stated needs.   Once you use a 17hmr the .22 tends to stay in the gun room.Safer to use,more range,and bunny is far less likely to run off wounded.

.22 ammo - $18 for 100 rounds.
.17Hmr  - $28 50 rounds
.223 - $30 20 rounds.

This is a 17Hmr round vs a .22 long rifle.

This is what a 17Hmr does to a bunny. Bang,flop.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trickytune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:59pm
trickytune View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You might be interested in looking at a Savage shorty. Bolt action, fully suppressed barrel, synthetic stock. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:52am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good advice been offered Shark Bait,can I ask how much shooting/experience have you got?

The only reason I ask and no offence/judgement meant is that you really are covering a broad range of firearms at the momment..i.e .22lr to centerfire 223's...semi auto to bolt action.

What firearms have you used already and what did you like or not like about them?

Talk to the good folk at RELOADERS,its free and you can have a bit more of a think about your needs. ( they can be a voice of reason,if Scotty took my dreaming seriously everytime I had an new "need" I could have probably opened a store here in TGA with the surplus)

Points raised already for consideration would be the size of the property you have -  is a centerfire 22 suitable for the area and your experience initially?

In my opinion a semi auto 22 is no more dangerous to a bolt action if you are casual or have poor basic firearm skills - period.

I started as a kid with a bolt action TOZ 22 hand me down that the old man gave me,it had a crap scope so that came off I was just a boy and had no $$ for a new scope so I just used the open sights to hone my skills - helped me get closer and take better shots.
Used a single barrel shotty too,loved it..my first center fire was an old 8mm mauser..I missed numerous deer and goats with it - it taught me to buy the best I could afford for my needs as I wasted so much ammo with that old pig it was so in-accurate.

Personally I think a good choice would be the trusty Ruger 10/22, plenty of options with packages and probably one of the best value for money workhorses you will find because of their popularity - they are for a reason.

One thing with rifles and hunting is that it can be a slippery slope defining what you "need" and what you "want"
Right now I "want" a heavy barreled centerfire varmint rig,but in reality only "need" a .17 or .22 for all the close range stuff I do on the olds farm...I also "want" a rifle/dial up rig  for LR shooting,but that is going to become a "need" LOL

as dead as dead is
Page  <1234>