Whats the Best .22 Rifle.

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the Best .22 Rifle.
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:19pm
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats the best .22 Rifle for controlling pests...........bunnies, possums & pokes.
Cut a long story short i live in Whitford on a small farm & with the summer being so dry i have had an explosion of pests & need to control them, in the process of getting my gun licence so will be looking at getting a small .22 rifle with sights & a silencer/suppressor & was wondering what your thoughts are on the best value for money under a grand, remember i'm a beginner & safety is paramount to me.
What i have looked at so far.....

Ruger 10/22 package with scope & silencer...........$600.00............new
Tikka with the works................second hand..........$1000.00
Howa with the works for $1400.00 which looks the part & the pick of the bunch but $400.00 more.

Have been advised by a gun shop to go for a bolt action with one shot one load rather than a semi auto, safety i guess.

Any help or thoughts would be great.
Cheers
SB

Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:34pm
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

.22's are the cheapest to run as far as ammo costs . $16 for 100 shots or less if you buy bulk . Cheap centrefire ammo is $44 for 50 to $40 for 20 dependent on the caliber .  Also .22s have easy to get subsonic ammo so very quiet with no supersonic crack that you still get with a suppressed centrefire .

Norinco jw 15s go for @350 new all set up . Fairly basic rifles but they are accurate enough

Marlin xt's are nicer to use and will run you $550 or so all set up.

Rugers are the biggest selling .22 in the world... You have to be aware that its a semi auto so is always loaded after a shot but that is basic firearms safety .

See what feels best to you when you put it up to your shoulder .

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 1:22pm
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had various bolt actions to start with, have had a semi auto Marlin model 60 with stainless barrell and laminated stock for quite a few years now, has tube mag and is fairly accurate for a standard semi auto, does the job on magpies and possums on the block

I personally dont like the ruger 10/22's as a standard rifle once you do a few mods they are better
The tikka will be a nice gun, I have one of those in .308 and the howa will be nice but as you say $1400 is getting up there.

There are alot of decent second hand guns on trademe and through word and mouth as an option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 6:57am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anshultz no further comment needed.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 7:08am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hogdog,what mods would you do to a 10/22?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwicaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:04am
Kiwicaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get a trigger job done and shoot lots.

Mates dad was a rabbit shooter in the mainland with his ruger shot 100's of thousands of rabbits with it , No modifications other then a trigger job .

A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:45am
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by widerange widerange wrote:

Hogdog,what mods would you do to a 10/22?
Utube it mate, ruger 10/22 mods theres plenty on it, think reloaders have mod parts for them too..
I got a 10/22 havent had any mods done to it shoots ok with the right ammo, in saying that ive got a mate that did all the mods to his and its a tack driver.
Ive been looking at selling mine, i just dont use it and would rather have a bigger caliber, i brought it from new, wood stock, 10 shot, would have only used it half a dozen times got a couple of small scuffs on it from my crap gun cabinetAngry can post a pic or your welcome to view it anytime if your interested, you can by a clamp on suppressor under a hundred, ive used them they work well.
I'd be looken for 300 hundy.

With a licence of corseSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markosharknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:47am
markosharknz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With my 10/22 I find the mag extraction is a pain in the backside if it is not empty

The Remington 597 is another option as well.
Marlin do one as well

For pest control, you really do want semi auto over bolt for ease of follow up shots. especially with possums, they can be a PAIN to put down.  If you have stock you really don't want one lying around as they can carry TB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:47am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Kiwicaster]Get a trigger job done and shoot lots.

Mates dad was a rabbit shooter in the mainland with his ruger shot 100's of thousands of rabbits with it , No modifications other then a trigger job .

Whet he said, have put thousands of rounds thru mine, never any probs! great value for $ cant go wrong with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:01am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Give Scotty a PM. He is manager of Reloader Supplies. His "handle" on here is nirai Wink he will look after you
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 3:30pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ruger 77/22, cz's, anchultz, some brno's all very good. sako quad would be nice too, if you have the coin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 3:32pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the 77/22 is boltaction too btw Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:54pm
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Guys, keep the info coming, lots to take in & learn.
Wink
Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:06pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Anshultz no further comment needed.

Cheers
the good ones yes totaly agree
but some of there cheeper models are dog **** to put it blunt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:34pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ive had rugers,cz's,norincos,anshultz, pretty much every thing under the sun
done a lot of testing with all so here we go heres my veiws

semi auto
1. ruger 10/22... alough not the most accurate it plenty good enough for bunnys etc  it is by far the most relyable
2. marlin model 60..... very accurate and very relyable but the tube mag lets it down

bolt action
1 cz452 supurbly accurate very relyable and very well finisted
2. norinco jw15 very accurate and relyable however could be finished better

as far as centerfires go ive found the howa to be very touch and go the only one ive had was in 270 and it made a better than a shotgun than a rifle on the other hand i have 2 mates that own them and there tack drivers to say the least
i own 2 tikkas they are the best sub 2000 dollor rifle on the market

value for money wise you cant beat a marlin xs7 $699 off the shelf they shoot very well to i must say 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 11:52pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

" Whats the best .22 Rifle for controlling pests...........bunnies, possums & pokes."
Firstly if you are shooting possums up in a tree(im assuming they will be up a tree) in whitford,where's that bullet going to go once its gone through the possum ?

No real need to buy brand new unless you really want a brand new gun.

TOZ Model 17-01 .22 Bolt Action Rifle & Tasco Pronghorn 4x32 Scope
Or

Damn good guns,its what all 4 of my kids have,excepting all mine are single shots.They will likely still be shooting well once my kids grow old and die.
Personally,id go for a bolt action first.Main reason is you said you are a beginner,and so you have not had anyone teach you gun safety.
Once you pull the trigger on a bolt,its safe until you manually work the bolt back and then forth.
With a semi auto you pull the trigger,it's ready to instantly go again,safety or no safety.(safetys fail)

Using a bolt action tends to make you more accurate,even more so with single shots.Because you generally have one chance to make the shot so you try harder to make it count.
Semi autos teach you to go through more ammo,not always to become a better shooter.(This depends somewhat on the person though.)

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:39am
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No matter what you buy, be aware of your backdrop when shooting. With both subs and regular .22LR ammo, they ricochet off anything... from grass in a flat paddock, to branches to rocks.
  Buy the way, there is no such Firearm manufacturer named "Anschultz".
Drop the "l" and you will be correct..Wink

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:35am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What's a l between friends, I bought it a long time ago, 1962 still looks mint, still drives tacks.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 1:28pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Using a bolt action tends to make you more accurate,even more so with single shots.Because you generally have one chance to make the shot so you try harder to make it count.
Semi autos teach you to go through more ammo,not always to become a better shooter.(This depends somewhat on the person though.)

dead right, single shot is the best way to learn.

same with scopes, if you start out with a scope it tends to teach you bad habits in safety. very narrow view. Open sights actually teach you to look.

all the flash gear can come later Thumbs Up

"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 1:38pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What you might want to look for is longevity of the barrel and the functionality of the trigger in my opinion. The JW-15 is a cheap model based on the CZ, but to be perfectly honest it is moderately accurate. The problems on the JW-15 (in my opinion) are that the trigger in them isn't the most reliable. They have a very long pull on them which makes it hard (in my opinion) to determine that exact moment when you know the round is going to go off. That is where it loses its accuracy, again in my opinion.I have used quite heavily too both the JW-15 and the CZ452. The CZ452 has a nice crisp trigger that goes off in the exact position every time. It's a very light trigger pull and has a reasonably heavy barrel. I can easily get a very good grouping point whatever of a mil and this also makes sighting in a whole lot easier. 

I would most definitely recommend the cz452 but it is twice as expensive as the JW-15. 

Page  123 4>