What where when and why do you prefer to fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What where when and why do you prefer to fish?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 6:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

For me, spring fishing off Auckland's west coast is hard to beat. We go straight to 60m as soon as conditions allow from September onwards. Big snapper, crazy numbers & they love jigs & softbaits. February/March is the nuts for marlin out there too but it's not really my bag. 

Autumn is great for the Manukau harbour for snapper & kingfish and it heralds the start of some exceptional gurnard fishing. and is pretty decent off the coast also. Early winter, once again some amazing snapper & gurnard fishing for big fish in the big muddy. Big snapper especially can get caught in some of the most unlikely places, especially in very close where there's kelp & stuff (have you ever even caught a big snapper Smudge?). I think that applies to most places in the upper north island.

Then we get to August. Ohhh crikey! The weather is crap, the fishing is crap blah blah BUT, it's still ok for kahawai and trevs - at least where I fish Big smile

Then all of a sudden we hit mid September and as soon as the weather allows we start all over again!

So worst months for me? August by a long way (I absolutely hate catching spiny dog fish and baracoutta), and a long way behind that is mid December to all of January.

How do you guys see it?

If I had to miss any two months fishing? For me it is August by a long shot followed by January. Usually.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 8:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't enjoy December and very early summer in general. Water is still cold. Often windy and unsettled weather. Think you're through winter, but can still get cold snaps. Always get a feed, but my least favourite time of year. As much as I hate the cold, I'd take a calm sunny winter day in preference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I don't enjoy December and very early summer in general. Water is still cold. Often windy and unsettled weather. Think you're through winter, but can still get cold snaps. Always get a feed, but my least favourite time of year. As much as I hate the cold, I'd take a calm sunny winter day in preference.

yepp
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:24pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Generally I'll fish Saltwater for everything Snapper, kahawai, Gurnard, Trevally, Kingfish, Game fish from October through to July-ish, then a few months of trout through the winter until September October and then it['s back to Saltwater. Have done a few summer trout trips, but usually would rather be on the salt during summer. 

Have to say my favourite time of the year for inshore fishing is April through July when we're straylining the shallows. I much prefer that over dropper rigs at 50-60 metres. 

Why? It's just great being outside and I really like catching fish, the bigger the better. I don't have a better explanation. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:52am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chasing kings and snaps in the spring workups in the deeper water around the outer gulf with jigs and soft baits, fishing the mussel farms in the firth at this time as well again with jigs and soft baits.

Winter fishing the shallow water around the outer gulf with micro jigs.

Winter Gurnard fishing in the Kaipara with mullet for bait on small circle hook rigs on the edges of the guts and channels in 4 metres of water. Best fishing time is after the first major frost of winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 4:07pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Manukau as you dont know what species your going to catch,well thats been  my experience.  Kawakawa bay area,can usual find shelter and come home with a feed.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:11pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For me, it's a hard choice between these two locations. The upper reaches of Tauranga Harbour on a warm night. Fishing in a metre or less those snapper give you a good run for your money on light gear. Watching the sun go down over the Kaimai's is pretty awesome.
Western side of Coromandel. Really enjoy winter fishing up there on a clear calm day. Far less of the little ones around and great scenery. We always avoid the mussel farms as it's "just not cricket"

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very easy, tutukaka in summer to early autumn for marlin and tuna, mainly because usually fishing with great mates and love the atmosphere.
Beats big snapper and kings from boat locally , (usually with wife) and even my second favourite gurnard fishing from kayak (bit of solo sport) in winter.
But each to their own, was a time I was more than happy just fishing off a nice rock ledge and wanted nothing more.
Watched some great piper guys having a ball catching tasty garfish off the rocks a couple years ago… And that is very cool… something I have also since taken up… they make great kingi baits if you have surplus as well.