What rod? Kabura and softbait?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What rod? Kabura and softbait?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 6:38am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well my favourite outfit has fallen prey to the deep blue.
Thunnus 6k and Shadow X 5 to 10kg.

What rod/reel combo is the latest ducks nuts or what people are enjoying?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:53am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Buy another Shadow X and be happy! I prefer the 3-6kg model for this kind of work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:10am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I buy all my micros etc from kaveman so I grabbed one of his rods when my last one died.

Great value for money from a local guy I reckon..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:00pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mightyboosh, you'll be disappointed.
I found an OA Microwave V2 brand new for $150 and couldn't turn it down so I'll give that a jam and see how I get on with it. 

After some ums and ahs I was going to go for the new Abu Garcia Roxani reel that seems to review really well but then spied a Penn Clash 2500 for only $120 so I will give that a try too.

It's my first foray into Penn reels, and from playing around in the living room with the outfit they both seem quite comfortable.

The Microwave is mega long, if I have any issues with it I suspect it will be annoyance at how long it is but yet to try it in the field.

Boat is playing up at the moment and being serviced on 27th so looks like won't be fishing until first weekend of December!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone tried these?

$180.00 retail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5wT2DT4js
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:26pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that's hard to go past at that price. Was it at a retail outlet or private sale?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:56pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Anyone tried these?

$180.00 retail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5wT2DT4js

I think they're ridiculously good value. The price point does show up just a little bit in the finish of the rod, and things like the reel seats are obviously cheaper models, but they seem very very good for the money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 5:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

I grabbed one from hunting and fishing.

The reel seat does look average but I can see the change in style helps in terms of keeping the weight down, the rod weighs nothing!

I always rated the Okuma Nano Matrix rods as punching above their price point and I hope this one works a jig as nicely...

I have a couple of shimano C14 reels in 4000 size and I like them on light gear so I can still have a man sized reel in terms of comfort with a lighter (plastic) reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 6:33pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Mightyboosh, you'll be disappointed.
I found an OA Microwave V2 brand new for $150 and couldn't turn it down so I'll give that a jam and see how I get on with it. 

All good. Variety... I did own one briefly. A bit of a pain to transport and I didn't like the look of those guides. Hope it works for you Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:13am
Platinum
Platinum

I notice that marine deals have the tournament concept in a one piece for $165.00.

I would have preferred the one piece given the choice when I got mine which raises the question?

Can you tell any difference in use between two similar rods one being two piece and the other a single?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:33am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Can you tell any difference in use between two similar rods one being two piece and the other a single?

If high performance fly rods can be made to work as a 4 piece, then a softbait chucker shouldn’t be a problem?! Having said that, my instinct is to go for a one piece. My only complaint about my beloved cheapo Nano X is that the two parts can twist with repetitive casting. I resolved this with a few spots of heat melt glue. I can still take it apart if I really want to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:39am
Platinum
Platinum

My thoughts as well.

Would be interesting to fish them side by side but just for grins...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 9:04am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

[QUOTE=Garry 23041]
 I resolved this with a few spots of heat melt glue. I can still take it apart if I really want to.

The trick I was taught as a young flyfisher with multi-piece graphite rods was to rub some candle wax on a couple of inches the joint  - seems to simultaneously assist with putting together and pulling apart the rod, while stopping unintended movement while in use. Some rods even came with a little piece of wax attached in a ziplock bag.

Instinct would say that a one piece must have a marginally better action than a rod which has a break at some point, but I assume most manufacturers do multiple piece rods longer than 7' for convenient transportation. And possibly for ease of manufacture?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 5:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the tip Tamure Kid!

I have a block for lubing the zip on my drysuit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:06am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

What rod and reel depends on a few things - and you'll get a well matched set...e.g. what depth of water, where are you fishing, spin or overhead preferred, what species primarily targetted. Kaburas can be fished virtually on anything, there is no action in the lure and little action imparted by the rod. Softbaits are very different and often require action from the rod. So depth of water fished is a key factor, also the terrain. These are great times to be fishing, so much choice and ability to get great gear without huge costs.