What I made today

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What I made today
    Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 8:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

...no, not me, youSmile
A member asked if we could have a thread for this so here it is.
Kiwi ingenuity knows no bounds & it would be good to have people share their #8 wire technology.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 8:30pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A bloody mess in the workshop making my new rod holder
Wood shavings everywhere will have to tidy up first thing in the morning before boss comes in
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 7:43am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

been building a synit deep shot 450 for my saltiga extreme 

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 8:13am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice GG, some time and effort gone into that thread work, keep it up we look forward to seeing the finished product...Thumbs Up
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's great GG but you have something the wrong way round .... the answers to lifes problems aren't on TV  ... they ARE at the bottom of a beer bottle.

Good thread Uncle. One I wished I had have thought of myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:49pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work there GG, what size thread you working with?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:14pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

all the thread is A
easy to work with and looks tighter 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea nice work. I'm currently waiting on an assorted pack of raw A thread so I can get to work on my little deepshot. Hope it looks half as good as yours I'd be happy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:06pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers bro 
i have just done a order for a heap of thread about 100 spools
cant wait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelly Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:41pm
Smelly Buoy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well. I haven't just been working on this one today, but I did give its first kick in the guts today.  Kiwi #8 wire job this one, very satisfying.  Still needs a bit of tweaking, but with a $5 BBQ, a $50 garage door motor, a king-size berley mincer, a $30 2nd hand bike sprocket, a bit a this, a bit a that, and you have . . . 

The Burley-Meister

Photo above is the total concoction. The steel BBQ frame was essential for providing a good solid base.

Mincer is mounted on threaded bolts to allow tweaking of levels & alignment, so that the chain feeds properly, and wing-nuts ollow easy removal for cleaning. The stell bracket it bolts to was one that was kicking around my workshop, and by slicing a 50mm swathe through the centre & re-welding it, it fits a treat.  The BBQ grill also allows for easy adjustments.

It took me a long time to hit on the garage door opener as the motor of choice.  The motor had to be bi-directional, so that if anything jams, I can reverse it.  Also, these things have a load switch - ever grabbed a door as it was closing?  Motor stops & reverses.  The remote control receiver on this one doesn't work, hence the good price, and I don't need that.  But it came with all the other gear, so I was able to shorten the strut to bolt it to the underside of the grill, to help brace the whole thing.

Got the jig-saw onto the grill, and cut out a couple of the bars, to be able to feed the chain through.  I had to get a round plate made by an engineering workshop, and brazed onto the inner side of the pulley.  Then the bile sprocket screwed straight onto that. Think it is 47 tooth, about the second biggest I could find, for better gearing than straight speed.

Took these photos at 7.45 tonight, so apologies if they are not very clear.  I will try to change them for daylight ones when I can.

I also have a brief movie of it running, but I haven't been able to figure out how to upload movies yet - its nearly 8 MB.  Any help anyone?

Looking forward to giving it a full trial on a few old KY frames etc.  Hopefully, it won't be a big lemon.
Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
I came; I saw; I stuck around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:58pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, thats a hum-dinger! Well done, you would be stoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 9:01pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brilliant Woody...hope it works as well as it looks like it will Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelly Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 11:23pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys. All good fun
Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:43am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one SB...best bit of kiwi ingenuity I have seen for ages, brilliantClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hohepa2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:38pm
hohepa2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

But imagine the cleanup, reckon you need to do it as a team effort and get team to clean it after the big mishin, but bloody gold machine mateThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what I made today, well to put it simply a mess, nothing like a couple of big hammers and a jenny bar dont fix
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelly Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 9:22pm
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=Argonautica] But imagine the cleanup,

Well, l reckon clean up shouldn't be any worse motorised versus manual, because of the way its set up, ie butterfly nuts for easy removal from the base. The idea was to do a bulk lot at a time, but thats hard on the arm doing it manually. When l do its first real run, l'll try to video it.

Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 2:54pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished another pencil popper. I am hoping to find Nemo in a kingies mouthWink

Weighs 2oz ( 56g) and is 160mm long.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:23pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cool looking lure mate! nice attention to detail!
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:38pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A natural wood stick bait and another larger one I am working on.  I have no idea whether they will work or not but I've had a good bit of fun working on them

Page  123 6>