What are your epic fails?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:10am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fortunately I don't have any really epic ones, but when I popped out for a solo fish one day I  put the boat in the water, tied it to the pontoons and went and parked the car and trailer.  Got in the boat, started it up and reversed out.  Barely got past the end of the pontoons when the engine stopped and could not restart it.  Luckily I hadn't gone far so was able to paddle the boat back to the ramp with the emergency oar I keep in the boat.  Got the boat out onto the trailer and was just going to fit the clamps on the back to lock it onto the trailer when I noticed that the petrol pipe had come off the engine.  Reconnected the pipe, boat back in the water and everything was fine.

I'll also always remember the day I had to cut all my bait with a pair of braid scissors I found in my tackle bag after leaving the bait knife at home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 33 minutes ago at 9:34pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Where's Bazza

Sorry to keep you waiting but have only just returned from a 3 day fly fishing expedition on the Whirinaki
with the river unfishable after a couple of weeks rain despite not having shown on the weather map.

Nevertheless so as not to waste the time (and fuel) invested decided would devote it to research namely :-

(1) The low temperature limit of a human body trying to sleep overnight riverside in a Mitsi Outlander      during a mid winter heavy frost.

(2) Taking yet another dunk in the aforementioned river to further prove the water resistance of my no expense spared $9 Kmart watch.

(3) Misplacing my wallet ... to test how ingenious the human brain can be to counter the handicap of having any cash or the multitude of various credit cards & suchlike to purchase fuel etc. needed for the trip home not to mention sustainance in the form of food or for that matter drink to calm the feeling of complete distress ... however this experiment had to be abandoned when the wallet was discovered in the most unlikely of places.

There are endless other examples of misadventure but will need to select a couple restricted to only one or two chapters .... watch this space.

Most of us have to tighten our spending in the face of impending rampant inflation. One forum member was training his pet budgie to go without food when the little bugger died !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 49 minutes ago at 6:18am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I was living in Wanaka, my uncle used to leave a 14foot boat at my place to save towing it up from Dunno's. It was a cheap deal he picked up from some where and it had the most unreliable motor. So after taking it back to Dunno's to get his mate to fix it for the fourth or fifth time, he came back pronounced it good to go. So we set off to the coast for a hunt and fish. We settled on a fish across lake Paringa where he would drop me off for a hunt, while he carried on fishing.

He had a spare motor it the back of the wagon and I said we should take it, he said naa no need my mate has fixed it. So we set off. As we got to the far end, we realized that someone had beaten us to the hunting drop off point. Just then the motor spluttered and died, not to be started again.

That lead to a long paddle back with a cut down oar only about 600mm long and a broom handle with a bit of plywood screwed to it for motivation power.

All I could see the whole paddle back, was the vehicle with a spare motor in the back of it taunting us!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 45 minutes ago at 10:22am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Headed out for a fish with a local mate who worked for DOC. He agreed to bring some of his home made burley, but after anchoring we discovered he had grabbed the wrong bag out of the freezer, and had brought out a frozen kiwi. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 20 minutes ago at 11:47am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hooked a large kingfish off a wooden boat ramp at Stanly bay years ago. Lost my footing and got pulled into the water- The screams of laughter from my son and best mate that were there watching still haunt me to this day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 19 minutes ago at 11:48am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

Headed out for a fish with a local mate who worked for DOC. He agreed to bring some of his home made burley, but after anchoring we discovered he had grabbed the wrong bag out of the freezer, and had brought out a frozen kiwi. 

Was it any good... for bait?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 9 minutes ago at 12:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Where's Bazza

Sorry to keep you waiting but have only just returned from a 3 day fly fishing expedition on the Whirinaki
with the river unfishable after a couple of weeks rain despite not having shown on the weather map.

Nevertheless so as not to waste the time (and fuel) invested decided would devote it to research namely :-

(1) The low temperature limit of a human body trying to sleep overnight riverside in a Mitsi Outlander      during a mid winter heavy frost.

(2) Taking yet another dunk in the aforementioned river to further prove the water resistance of my no expense spared $9 Kmart watch.

(3) Misplacing my wallet ... to test how ingenious the human brain can be to counter the handicap of having any cash or the multitude of various credit cards & suchlike to purchase fuel etc. needed for the trip home not to mention sustainance in the form of food or for that matter drink to calm the feeling of complete distress ... however this experiment had to be abandoned when the wallet was discovered in the most unlikely of places.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Apologies re repeat post but site would not allow me to edit or reply to the original so have had to resort to copy & pasting to retain any sense of sequence.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Continued from original post.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

As invariably happens when you blank it seems everyone asks "Did you catch anything ?" & this occasion was no exception so would simply answer "have a couple of prime 4 lb rainbows to take home. This was not an untruth so long as was careful not to add was given them by a benevolent local from their freeezer that presumably felt sorry for me having to contend with such hostile river conditions now I am back home  .... a strategy I might add that continues to work so long as it remains my little secret.  
Most of us have to tighten our spending in the face of impending rampant inflation. One forum member was training his pet budgie to go without food when the little bugger died !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 3 minutes ago at 1:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had an epic fail today, up early to head out on the firth for a jig. Back the tractor out of the shed, contect the trailer on. Jump on the tractor and nothing at the starter, so had to crank start it.

Wind side onto the tide so couldn’t get a good drift happening and only caught goldfish.

Back to the beach at low tide, pushed the tinnie up onto the sand but by the time I got the tractor started which I had to hand crank again. The boat was being blown away in the wind.

Walked out to get it and got stuck in the mud up to my knees and when I pulled my feet out of the mud, my shimano fishing shoes stayed in the mud and I lost them.

What a day, time to fix the tractor.
Page  <12