What are these?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yutaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are these?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 10:43am
Yutaka View Drop Down
New User
New User

OK, so what are these? => http://www.fishing.net.nz/images/topshots/MVC-674F.JPG

They appear to be a member of the grouper/seabass family, but also have characteristics of deep water cod.   Are they quite common?  Any chance I'll see any around White Isl or BOP in January?   I love pulling on big bottom fish!

Any info for this first-time visitor to NZ is appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 1:16pm
Grant View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Having a very quick squiz..they all appear to be Groper (Hapuka), and yes you'll have chance to pull on a few of these.

They are commonly found in water averaging (120 -200m) deep, although can be caught shallower (50m) to deeper (300m). Depending on where you are fishing these average 10-18kgs. A 30kg fish is a good catch, but every year somewhat much bigger specimens are landed.

Mostly used tackle is 24kg stand-up, with reel spooled with braid to eliminate stretch when fishing such depths. Terminal tackle is generally a 200lb trace with a couple of droppers rigged with a 16/0 tuna circle hook. On the end goes a reasonable weight say from 28oz up to 40oz, depending on depth fishing and current.

Common baits are fresh squid, couta and dead baits such as mackerel.

Also encountered is the Bass, which is shorter and (fatter) than the Hapuka. Generally found in deeper water, and are larger again, Good specimens landed in the BOP go 50-60-70kg every year.

Have a look at the Photo gallery on this site for some examples:

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 2:04pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, "puka.maybe a bass or two in there as well, not sure. They are hard to tell apart.

If you get ot the Ranfurly on your trip, you will definitely get into some, although by the time they come up from the deeps, they will have embolised and will be dead, so you'll have to keep them (in case you wanted to release them)

Send me an email, i will send you a couple of specimen shots of each fish, the hapuku and the bass, so you can tell the differences yourself. cheers, Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2002 at 9:41am
Titanium
Titanium

...I think I have figured out how to pop some pics up here....

This is a Bass, about 45kgs worth, taken at the Ranfurly. They are much stouter than the hapuku, and have a squarer gill plate.

The Hapuku is a longer leaner fish, although still noticably portly.

It's not the best spec pic i have of a puka, but it'll do for now. Puka also tend to be perhaps a little lighter in colour, bass also at times will have a slight dappled pattern to them.

cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2002 at 10:17am
John Campbell View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe our Bass are called Wreckfish in the US

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2002 at 3:37pm
tonto View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi yutaka, those are indeed a mixture of bass and hapuka, caught at the ranfurly banks on the charter boat cascade, biggest fish for the trip was from memory a 67KG bass not actually shown in that pic. (sigh wish I was back there now).

good luck for your trip

regards  Martyn 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 11:11pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Stu

You've grown a heap better looking while holding that bass!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2002 at 9:31am
Titanium
Titanium

You guessed it pal, it ain't me. I was taking the pic!

He was one happy camper though, it was (if i remember sorrectly) his 1st trip, and his first bass! Not a bad way to start out eh!

Hmmm.. at least, i think that is right. So many pics, so few brain cells....

cheers, Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yutaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2002 at 6:47am
Yutaka View Drop Down
New User
New User

Thanks for the info.   Maybe we'll have the opportunity to give those a try.  They sure look tasty!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scarpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2002 at 10:45pm
scarpie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Bass & Hapuka are some of the best eating fish in NZ!

Make sure you get the deckie to cut out the cheek meat and the throat meat and pan fry or grill them -unbeatable!