FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What alloy boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jake187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What alloy boat
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:31pm
Jake187 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi chasing some info on some of your nz boats. I'm from Australia and are looking at a 6-6.5 m boat and after some pro and con and real life thought from guys who have been in them. So I'm looking at extreme 645, mclay 651, senator and profile 650 and stabi 2100 supercab. Any info on ride stability durability would be awesome
Cheers jake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rozboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:53pm
Rozboon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would add the Surtees 650 into your list.

All of them are extremely well built, durability unlikely to be an issue.

The Senator 650 is a very capable boat, fairly soft ride, takes a bit of pushing though. We drove one backwards into a not-insignificant sea, had waves breaking over the transom and it took it like a champion.
Rides better than the Extreme 645 in my opinion, Extreme is a nicer finished boat though, Senator a little bit agricultural in some ways.

All relatively good at rest; the pontoons are obviously a little better than the conventional hulls.

Stabicraft... nice finish, high sides make it feel very safe, arguably a bit pricey for what you get, but very very good boats.

The McLay and Extreme have a relatively similar hull shape with the big reverse chine sections that give them much better stability at rest.  The Extreme has a relatively long "forefoot" if you get what I mean - the flat section of the keel is quite short, meaning it has a tendency to pivot amidships and bury the front into the next wave, but on the other hand they have big shoulders so plenty of buoyancy up front.